Ordering a new computer, what parts to choose?

Hi.

As the topic subject says, I'm soon gonna order a new computer where I choose what parts the computer will include myself. Having little experience with hardware, some help would be much appreciated.

My budget is on roughly 10.000 NOK (~1700 USD) with a new mouse, keyboard and monitor included. Yes, it is expensive compared to the US. Norway is a fairly expensive country, but this is close to the best you can find.

I believe I'm gonna order it from this package: http://www.komplett.no/k/config.aspx...SystemId=10274 where I can choose many alternatives as to what parts will be in it. If anyone knows a norwegian site that has better offers I would be glad to check it out, but atm this is the best I can find.

So, if you click the link and see the the parts I can choose between, what would be the best overall setup? (Please keep in mind that I wanna stay at roughly 10.000 including a mouse, keyboard and monitor - the price can be seen at the bottom or top of the page after the parts are chosen.)
    Ignore parts/accessories where it is set to "ikke valgt", except mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Here are some translations on the parts where I am clueless about what to pick:
    Kabinett - Cabinet.
    Strømforsyninger - Power Supply.
    Hovedkort - Motherboard.
    Prosessorer - Proccesor.
    Skjermkort - Video Card.
    DDR2 Minne - RAM.
    Harddisk - Hard Drive.

The computer will be used on WoW mostly (90%?), if anything else just some regular interwebs browsing and music/movies.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted

Re: Ordering a new computer, what parts to choose?

The graphicscard options are a bit shitty, but the one you've chosen is fine. Though if you can, simply get none/the very cheapest, and buy a ATI 5850/5870.
    I would also get other RAM, get this one:
    Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 4GB KIT CL5 Kit w/two matched ValueRAM 2048MB DDR2
    or
    Corsair TWIN2X PC6400C4DHX DDR2 4GB KIT Kit w/2x 2GB XMS2-6400 dimm's, CL4-4-4-12, 800MHz, DHX

There's not really a difference with the RAM, there's some latency differences that can improve performance, though for WoW and as a normal home-user I doubt the difference will be big.

If you can, get 2 hard drives to use in RAID0, that'll give you a big improvement with loading/booting programs/wow

Is there no config with more recent CPUs? The i5/i7s or some of the newer AMD CPUs.

Not for this package no. And all of the options chosen were default, not by me. Anyway, if these parts are as bad as you say they are I doubt the package is worth it. I can order better and newer parts seperate and build it myself, but I have no experience what-so-ever with building computers, and I'm kinda afraid I'll fuck it up.

I have some friends and relatives that has experience with it though, and I believe I get an instruction manual if I order the parts seperately.. I don't know really, what are the chances of fucking it up when building a computer? And if I do so, what parts would you recommend?

Edit: Found another, bit more expensive package. But I can handle that, as long as it doesn't go too far over the budget.
    http://www.komplett.no/k/config.aspx...SystemId=10158
    Does any of the options there look better?

Deleted

Looks very good,

Nothing wrong with it, though if the budget supports it, for a little extra: get a core I7 860 instead of i5 750. And still get 2 hard drives to put in RAID0. Even without it, this is an awesome system, but for just a little extra..

I guess I'll stick to my old monitor and leave that out to stick more to the budget. What do you suggest I get as the 2nd hard drive, and other then getting an i7 instead of i5, are the other standard options okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaina
    Not for this package no. And all of the options chosen were default, not by me. Anyway, if these parts are as bad as you say they are I doubt the package is worth it. I can order better and newer parts seperate and build it myself, but I have no experience what-so-ever with building computers, and I'm kinda afraid I'll fuck it up.

I have some friends and relatives that has experience with it though, and I believe I get an instruction manual if I order the parts seperately.. I don't know really, what are the chances of fucking it up when building a computer? And if I do so, what parts would you recommend?

Edit: Found another, bit more expensive package. But I can handle that, as long as it doesn't go too far over the budget.
    You may mess it up as you say due to it being your first build, so here is what you do.

Get parts you can afford (do some research to see what is the best bang for the buck in your price range)

What you do next is crucial, build the computer without putting into a case. (meaning put your M0B0 on the table and connect all parts to it and see if it powers up.)

If there are power issues, meticulously remove each seperate piece of hardware until you find the issue.

Once you find it fix it (could be a DOA part)

If you run into no issues, meaning every part likes to play well with every other part is when you install everything into a case and you are done.

Make sure before you touch any parts to ground yourself (touch something metal (the Power Supply is usually sufficient) in order to remove any static electricity you may have gathered.

Best of Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggietails View Post
    You don't find Shadowmourne in PvP, it finds you.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Bozkurt
    You may mess it up as you say due to it being your first build, so here is what you do.

Get parts you can afford (do some research to see what is the best bang for the buck in your price range)

What you do next is crucial, build the computer without putting into a case. (meaning put your M0B0 on the table and connect all parts to it and see if it powers up.)

If there are power issues, meticulously remove each seperate piece of hardware until you find the issue.

Once you find it fix it (could be a DOA part)

If you run into no issues, meaning every part likes to play well with every other part is when you install everything into a case and you are done.

Make sure before you touch any parts to ground yourself (touch something metal (the Power Supply is usually sufficient) in order to remove any static electricity you may have gathered.

Best of Luck.
    Question: Does it work with just placing it on the table? Or does it have to be placed on some anti-static mat of some kind? (carton?) I can't remember what it was :<

@ OP

Here is a List of items that are cheaper then the ones you had posted, and are quaranteed to run CIRCLES around the builds you had posted as well.

You can always change the Case, the rest i recommend keeping, what you can do however is remove the multiples (GPU's and RAM) so have one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    Question: Does it work with just placing it on the table? Or does it have to be placed on some anti-static mat of some kind? (carton?) I can't remember what it was :<
    Carton is usually acceptable, but as long as its a solid and clean surface and you clear yourself of static electricity you will be fine.

The default looks much much better.

AMD or INTEL?

NVIDIA or ATI?

Then we can move from there on

Quote Originally Posted by Bozkurt
    @ OP

Here is a List of items that are cheaper then the ones you had posted, and are quaranteed to run CIRCLES around the builds you had posted as well.

You can always change the Case, the rest i recommend keeping, what you can do however is remove the multiples (GPU's and RAM) so have one of each.
    Newegg wont ship to europe though.

Soo, I think I've narrowed it down to either:
    http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=486145 (Scroll a bit down and you'll see the list of components under "Inneholder:", shouldn't need to understand norwegian to judge the parts, I think.)
    Or:

The first one seems a lot better, and slightly cheaper. The downside is that if I get that, I have to build it myself, and I have no experience with it. If I choose the second one, the computer gets built and tested beforehand then sent to me.

The second one seems alright aswell, if I got it I'd change the processor to i7 860-Quad Core, and the Hard Disk Western Digital Caviar® Black™ 640GB , Sata 3 Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM.

Do you think it's worth the risk to take the first one? And is it a lot better then the second one?

Deleted

I'd deff go for the first one, and maybe ask some family/friends to build it for you - Or perhaps call a local computer store and ask them to do it (for a price ofc). The first one is a lot better

Meh, appears the first one doesn't come with an OS installed, which means it goes quite a bit over my budget considering I'm most likely getting a new monitor, keyboard and mouse aswell.

Do you reckon the second option (http://www.komplett.no/k/config.aspx...SystemId=10158) just with a i7 860-Quad Core and the WD Caviar Black 640GB hard drive is able to manage 30ish FPS midfight in 25 man conditions with middle/medium'ish settings? That's pretty much all I demand for it to perform. If not, I guess I'll just have to save up a bit more and get the first option.

Oh, and thanks for all the helpful replies guys, really appreciate it. Were it not for you lot I'd end up doing a pretty shitty purchase.

The i5-750 is fine, but if you are spending that much I would get the 5850, which is not on that list for some reason.

Deleted

Meh, appears the first one doesn't come with an OS installed, which means it goes quite a bit over my budget considering I'm most likely getting a new monitor, keyboard and mouse aswell.

Do you reckon the second option (http://www.komplett.no/k/config.aspx...SystemId=10158) just with a i7 860-Quad Core and the WD Caviar Black 640GB hard drive is able to manage 30ish FPS midfight in 25 man conditions with middle/medium'ish settings? That's pretty much all I demand for it to perform. If not, I guess I'll just have to save up a bit more and get the first option.

Oh, and thanks for all the helpful replies guys, really appreciate it. Were it not for you lot I'd end up doing a pretty shitty purchase.
    Both of the setups should easily get that amount of FPS in raids.