Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New comp, good build?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=17328088

this is what i came up with, was wondering what the more computer savvy think.

Re: New comp, good build?

There's no way I'd be going for a GTX 260, whether single or in SLI. Get the 5850, in Crossfire if you must (although personally I think it's unnecessary atm).

I'm not sure I'd bother with the Velociraptor either. Sure, it's a lot faster on paper, but if you actually look at real world tests you'll see there's very little difference and really wouldn't be noticeable (except for the noise). For example, here's a benchmark for the original raptors: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=10. I realise the Velociraptor is faster than these, but even still you'll notice the difference in performance of drives on game load times really is insignificant, and even then it's only in loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

The i7 920 is a great platform for OCing that will allow you to get a huge bang for your buck. The p6t is a great, solid motherboard that I can vouch for( I own a p6t deluxe). As previously mentioned, the dual 260s isn't the best of ideas. Ati cards of a similar price will well out-perform the 260. If you were to choose the 5850 I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150442 nice warranty

On the velociraptor, I would consider is an overpriced and overhyped HD. In the last rig I built instead of a vraptor I used 3- WD caviar blacks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319. In a 3 disk RAID5 configuration for striping and parity. With that setup you will have increased performance that will match or beat the raptor for the same(ish) price. As an added benefit, you will end up with 1280 gigs and a parity that allows you to not only recover from a single disk failure, but also still have a bootable computer.

kk updated with those suggestions. And was thinking of adding a water cooling system like this video has....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMADJ2-bOQE

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Byond
    kk updated with those suggestions. And was thinking of adding a water cooling system like this video has....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMADJ2-bOQE
    Water cooling is expensive. If you have the know-how (or know someone who has), and the money, it's really nice though :>

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

There's no way I'd be going for a GTX 260, whether single or in SLI. Get the 5850, in Crossfire if you must (although personally I think it's unnecessary atm).
    Can I ask why you say that about the GTX260 card. I am getting ready to build me a new machine myself and that is the card I was going to get. I would just like to know before I jump the gun on cards.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I figure it was better than starting another thread. If I need to start a new thread I will though.

This is what I am thinking of going with. Any changes or suggestions you think need to be made would greatly be appreciated.
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10386514

Deleted

Nothing wrong with the GTX260, but looking at price/performance / performance in general I'd deff go for the 5850/70.

About your setup: Why 8gigs? Sort of overkill if you ask me, though it's fine. Just make sure you get x64 OS. Also, I'd go for 2x 500gigs instead of 1x 1TB to get it in a RAID0 config.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Ok cool thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Yes I agree 8 gigs may be a bit overkill right now, but I also do some work at home thru Autocad using 3d etc.. that the extra memory helps out alot when it comes to that and it will alow me to work and play that the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    Nothing wrong with the GTX260, but looking at price/performance / performance in general I'd deff go for the 5850/70.
    On top of the price/performance the gtx260 only supports up to directx 10, were as the 5850 will give you dx11.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary
    On top of the price/performance the gtx260 only supports up to directx 10, were as the 5850 will give you dx11.
    Very true as well, forgot that point :<

Quote Originally Posted by Grumit
    everythings looking good i think, the CPU would be an i7 860 and u wouldnt have a noticeable performance loss but other than that i think the only thing to be picky about is the case and powersupply. The PSU u've picked out is waaay more than enough.
    650W psu's would be perfectly capable for this build you've listed even if u decide to buy another 5850.
    Can the 650 handle the watercooling system if i decide to go that way?

Deleted

I think so yes Byond, but it would depend what kind of cooling system you're gonna use.

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    I think so yes Byond, but it would depend what kind of cooling system you're gonna use.
    Swiftech D5 Vario pump
    Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 cpu block
    Koolance 5850/5870 gpu blocks
    Black Ice GTX 360 triple radiator
    (Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm radiator fans)
    XSPC single bay reservoir
    Masterkleer 7/16" uv red tubing

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Byond
    Swiftech D5 Vario pump
    Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 cpu block
    Koolance 5850/5870 gpu blocks
    Black Ice GTX 360 triple radiator
    (Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm radiator fans)
    XSPC single bay reservoir
    Masterkleer 7/16" uv red tubing
    I wont be much help here actually, don't them watercooling kits come with their own power thingy?

Why not just get W7 Pro and save some money? Ultimate has nothing useful over it for 99% of people. Even better deal if you are a student.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    Why not just get W7 Pro and save some money? Ultimate has nothing useful over it for 99% of people. Even better deal if you are a student.
    True, I think Ultimate has multiple language & Bitlocker (encrypt?), no real use for normal users tbh

so i think what is up is going to be my final build. any last thoughts?

I currently have 2 HD 5870S. and in dalaran i get 30 fps with full settings. sometimes lower..... but in instances "azjol-nerub" i get 200 FPS. Now..... I would HIGHLY recommend a GTX 295. Due to the fact that NVIDIA is 1000000x better at their driver updates than ATI. I am infact getting the GTX 395 in sli once they come out later this year

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jjay123
    I currently have 2 HD 5870S. and in dalaran i get 30 fps with full settings. sometimes lower..... but in instances "azjol-nerub" i get 200 FPS. Now..... I would HIGHLY recommend a GTX 295. Due to the fact that NVIDIA is 1000000x better at their driver updates than ATI. I am infact getting the GTX 395 in sli once they come out later this year
    While I typically agree that nVidia has better drivers than ATi, I could not at this point in time suggest someone get an nVidia card. ATi is just too much power for the money. nVidia sat back and waited too long, and ATi just surged ahead.

so everything looks good then? is there any other little things i may be forgetting?