Thread: Aion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Aion

I played Aion for a couple of months. Overall the game was good, but after level 35 it became a no-ending grindfest. And the PvP in that game is mediocre if not abysmal.
    http://www.sportsplaying.com
    Soccer news and games

Quote Originally Posted by Almega
    I can't deny the content in the vision trailer looks good, but they never said anything about fixing the most glaring issue: a lack of quests and horrid grind, that's all that's wrong with the game in the first place, really
    At the moment they are patching in more quests and doubling experience gain and such. They are looking into providing a smoother leveling curve as well, be it by reducing experience needed or by buffing the gain even more. I'm guessing by the time we get a new expansion a lot of these issues should be fixed.

I really liked Aion. It was something new, fun and the graphics were kinda good. I haven't really played alot of MMO's so it was fun to try something besides WoW.
    What really killed me was like many others are mentioning, the griding. Once I hit around 25 the grind killed me. I ran out of quest often and had to grind.
    Also, I somehow expected my ranged(hunter if you like) to have a pet. :>
    But overall its a good game, and maybe I'll try it again some time. Can't deny that movie looked good.
    kIRIE

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2
    Oke some news about newer versions of this game to fix a lot of problems people were having with this game.

You may want to see this video to see it for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WtzP-y-Ua8

If you're not interested in the video, I'll give a summary of what will be fixed this year. In the first half of this year Aion will receive it's first expansion and another expansion or major patch in the second half of this year. May it be noted that expansions are not something NCSoft asks additional money for and are free of cost.

Well to summarize, the graphics will be cranked up by a lot. This varies from a new lighting engine to new shadows, more polygons spend on environments and detail, a more living surrounding (e.g. massive flying beasts flying next to you, see video) and a new weather system allowing for summer weather, snow, heavy snow, melting of snow, floods and the likes. In terms of gameplay Aion has expanded it's worlds and is now offering a mount system. Instead of purchasing a mount and just ride it you actually have to catch your mount and then mount it for it to become yours. Also there is a mount fighting system in place. Upon expanding the world this also comes with under water cities, vast sea's and the ability to swim! Also alot of the animations have been redone and now come with collision check for even greater looking fights. There's also speculation (by seeing the video) of new classes using whips and unarmed combat. It's also been known that also Aion will use a talent system next to the existing stigma system for a greater customisation in how your character evolves. PvP and PvE has been expanded by a big deal. There are new raids and instances and also city sieges. City sieges you say? Yes, this gives you the opportunity to create a guild city and create/decorate your own house. There is also the ability to summon giant creatures to help in these fights.

These are just a few examples, if you want a good impression of what is to come this year to Aion please see the video.
    Sure it will come this year? That's great. It gives some hope at least. I rly want this game to improve
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2
    Oke some news about newer versions of this game to fix a lot of problems people were having with this game.

You may want to see this video to see it for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WtzP-y-Ua8

If you're not interested in the video, I'll give a summary of what will be fixed this year. In the first half of this year Aion will receive it's first expansion and another expansion or major patch in the second half of this year. May it be noted that expansions are not something NCSoft asks additional money for and are free of cost.

Well to summarize, the graphics will be cranked up by a lot. This varies from a new lighting engine to new shadows, more polygons spend on environments and detail, a more living surrounding (e.g. massive flying beasts flying next to you, see video) and a new weather system allowing for summer weather, snow, heavy snow, melting of snow, floods and the likes. In terms of gameplay Aion has expanded it's worlds and is now offering a mount system. Instead of purchasing a mount and just ride it you actually have to catch your mount and then mount it for it to become yours. Also there is a mount fighting system in place. Upon expanding the world this also comes with under water cities, vast sea's and the ability to swim! Also alot of the animations have been redone and now come with collision check for even greater looking fights. There's also speculation (by seeing the video) of new classes using whips and unarmed combat. It's also been known that also Aion will use a talent system next to the existing stigma system for a greater customisation in how your character evolves. PvP and PvE has been expanded by a big deal. There are new raids and instances and also city sieges. City sieges you say? Yes, this gives you the opportunity to create a guild city and create/decorate your own house. There is also the ability to summon giant creatures to help in these fights.

These are just a few examples, if you want a good impression of what is to come this year to Aion please see the video.
    Hey, this looks suspicously like something AoC tried as well.

Lets call this the "Oh Shit, that didn't go as well as we would have hoped" effect.

Fact is, first impressions count for a lot, and Aion gave the worst impression of being yet another Eastern grindfest. It's going to take more then a patch and a couple of expansions to change that perception.

I bought this game, played for 2 months.....while intersting and new it had many flaws which forced it to fail. Some of those were:

-Huge grind, very hard to gain XP and quests and stuff had poor rewards and xp
    -No low level dungeons, some outdoor dungeons with a clunky spawn mechanic and lots of skipping around
    -HORRIBLE drop rates on items
    -TONS of spammers, bots, and gold farmers.
    -Classes were uncomplete and unbalanced, sorc's were the most OP casters, plus had all the CC.....ranged classes dominated melee classes with unfair advantage in air plus CC
    -Poorly itemized gear, stuff like magic resist was too op, and stuff like crit, phys def, atk pwer were pretty useless
    -PvP was non existant, infact the abyss was useless at lvl 50, and losing Abyss points by dying made people just farm npc's for AP and avoid all PVP

Thats just a few of the problems......it truly was just another asian grinder, a fancy version of the many free korean mmo's. Riddled with bots, poor class development, and no real endgame...it was doomed to fail. Many people think it was more of an experiment so they could learn from mistakes and then improve on Guild Wars 2 from AION failures. They are prob right, because both games looks very similar but GW2 will prob be alot better.

Also, I agree that the only WoW competitor in the future will be the new Star Wars MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunwolf
    -Huge grind, very hard to gain XP and quests and stuff had poor rewards and xp
    -No low level dungeons, some outdoor dungeons with a clunky spawn mechanic and lots of skipping around
    -HORRIBLE drop rates on items
    -TONS of spammers, bots, and gold farmers.
    -Classes were uncomplete and unbalanced, sorc's were the most OP casters, plus had all the CC.....ranged classes dominated melee classes with unfair advantage in air plus CC
    -Poorly itemized gear, stuff like magic resist was too op, and stuff like crit, phys def, atk pwer were pretty useless
    -PvP was non existant, infact the abyss was useless at lvl 50, and losing Abyss points by dying made people just farm npc's for AP and avoid all PVP
    This.

Are there any dates about the 3.0 patch thingy?
    And have those extra Xp changes been implented yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch
    You should be thankful. Without Boubouille agreeing to a DNA, you would not even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunwolf
    Also, I agree that the only WoW competitor in the future will be the new Star Wars MMO.
    No disrespect, but tbh I have no idea what the appeal of that game is. I did some research, and it looked really boring. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Baaadum
    No disrespect, but tbh I have no idea what the appeal of that game is. I did some research, and it looked really boring. Did I miss something?
    Designer interviews, probably
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

I really enjoyed Aion. I also really enjoyed Warhammer. I tend to be very open to most MMOs, regardless of how unpopular they may become.

With aion, like stated already its a Korean style MMO that was made for a westernized playerbase, but as with most korean MMOs, Grinding plays a huge part. Its not that the game has nothing to offer, its more that the style goes against what most people in US and Euro areas want. It was a beautiful game graphics wise, I really liked the combat systems (I played a sorc for my time on it). Personally, if I had someone to play with on it, I would have probably stayed there.

Sadly, with both Aion and Warhammer, it all came down to the fact I didnt want to max out a toon there, when I already have 3 maxed out on warcraft I could be playing.

IMO, The only thing that can kill blizzard is blizzard.
    Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, N-O-T-H-I-N-G will beat warcraft, except another game made by Blizzard.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodenkrieg
    I really enjoyed Aion. I also really enjoyed Warhammer. I tend to be very open to most MMOs, regardless of how unpopular they may become.

With aion, like stated already its a Korean style MMO that was made for a westernized playerbase, but as with most korean MMOs, Grinding plays a huge part. Its not that the game has nothing to offer, its more that the style goes against what most people in US and Euro areas want. It was a beautiful game graphics wise, I really liked the combat systems (I played a sorc for my time on it). Personally, if I had someone to play with on it, I would have probably stayed there.

Sadly, with both Aion and Warhammer, it all came down to the fact I didnt want to max out a toon there, when I already have 3 maxed out on warcraft I could be playing.

IMO, The only thing that can kill blizzard is blizzard.
    Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, N-O-T-H-I-N-G will beat warcraft, except another game made by Blizzard.
    I completely agree, I loved AION it seemed like a great game with limitless potential but in the end I didn;t want to make new friends, I didn;t want to grind another toon, and that was about it, same with warhammer I got a few toons to about lvl 20 then said, meh, then got back on my warrior.
    Warhammer was a fantastic game too, I just think they fall short in PVE, if a game was created with the pvp of AION or Warhammer but the same PVE type dungeons and raids as WoW it would probably kill.

I felt like I was playing some stupid anime, so I quit it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU

I play it atm on a private server, because WoW doesn't have interesting have to do atm besides raiding and PvP, which I can't be arsed with.

Afaik public test servers (1 USA, 1 EU) for Aion 1.9 should be up the 29th of April. 2.0 should be somewhere may for korea. You can allready download the PTS client as far as I know.