Destro AOE too low

Hey fellas,
    in my opinion, destruction AOE is very low compared to affl oder demo. A quick fix would be to allow backdraft to actually affect rain of fire.
    It states, that the cast time and gcd of ALL destruction spells is lowered by 30%. But as you know, it doesnt affect channeled destruction spells like rain of fire.
    Do you think its a bug or just some sloppy made tool tip.

comments please

Re: Destro AOE too low

the effect of timing of rain of fire is kind of similar to a dot effect and the backdraft proc is more direct damagey spellz only..

just spam seed.. its fun and effective if tanks have aggro.
    (tab seed, tab seed) ^10.. usually works
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

I don't understand the thing about using tab to a new target. You can only have one Seed up at any given time anyway. Or is it to spread the damage of the spell, since the AoE effect doesn't hit the "seeded" target?

Edit: Misread the tooltip, one per target, per warlock?

15+ Year Old Account

You tab because there's the odd chance that you can recast Seed and have it apply to the target before it explodes, thus negating 1300 mana and 2 seconds of cast+travel time and a BOATLOAD of dps. Tab prevents that. Multiple warlocks can seed the same target, you just can't seed the same one twice or it overwrites.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Thassaria
    Edit: Misread the tooltip, one per target, per warlock?
    This.

You can have as many seeds up as you want at a time; you just can't seed the same target multiple times.

If you had say five locks, you could theoretically have five seeds on every target present. Realistically, seeds tend to detonate before you can get more than one or two running simultaneously unless there is VERY little damage being done to the targets.

Considering how demo currently has the best aoe in the game, I doubt they will be buffing our AoE anytime soon. I've pulled 30kdps on some aoe trash lol

And for those that want a godly seed macro

/targetenemy
    /cast seed of corruption

Exact same thing as tab cast, tab cast, but allows for 1 button seed spamming.

i say the trade off for manageable threat is fine for the lack of dps
    that's just me.
    www.myspace.com/curseofdoom

...Warlock Hip-Hop To Melt Wax and Face...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeefilter
    Hey fellas,
    in my opinion, destruction AOE is very low compared to affl oder demo. A quick fix would be to allow backdraft to actually affect rain of fire.
    Guten Tag.

Anyhow, yeah, Destro's AOE has been too low for quite a while. Use Seed instead of Rain of Fire for now. Good solution? Not really, but it'll increase your AOE damage. It'd be nice to have Destro brought back up to par, but it seems like Blizz likes having Afflic and Demo as the prime PVE builds for now and there's nothing to fix.

15+ Year Old Account

The question is not "Is Destro too low" but rather "Is destruction worth playing on any fight where aoe is make-or-break-the-fight on level of importance?" The answer, right now, is no. Anub'arak 25 Heroic is the closest thing to important AOE, and Destruction brings nothing to the table that another spec couldn't do equally well.

Now if there was a fight where you had a steady stream of dinky adds followed by random bursts of "omg aoe" adds, such as Valithria Dreamwalker (on hard mode, normal mode is about as difficult as a slightly harder Lady Deathwhisper), then I could see the basis of this discussion.

R.I.P. YARG

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

If destro is the highest single target, which i remember it being but i haven't played my lock in a while then the aoe is fine. Its basically spec balance each spec plays a little different role. Destro was high single target and avg aoe. Similar to the fact that ARcane is worst mage aoe but best mage single target dps. Makes duelspecs nice when you have mages with free food buffs just switch specs to aoe for trash and single target for bosses.

10+ Year Old Account

As a diehard Destro Warlock I'd have to disagree. On trash pulls of 5+ its not uncommon for me to pull 10-16k dps. I Life Tap (rank 1), spam ~4-6 Seeds of Corruption and Rain of Fire.

I'm not talking Whelps on Onyxia, but trash pulls in ICC25. The zombies from Precious are the perfect place to "show off", and again on the mobs that spawn from traps on the way to Festergut & Rotface.

But on those same pulls Afflic and Demo are doing 20-25k DPS. That's the difference.

15+ Year Old Account

And they all have one thing in common - trash.
    At this point the focus is on making Cataclysm ready. Future tweaks will come from PVP, bugs, or tweaks to rebalance something.
    They are not going to retool our talents to make us do more damage on trash, sorry.

R.I.P. YARG

Trash, Gunship and Dreamwalker. DPS on Gunship is pretty moot. Dreamwalker it definitely shows though. Suppressors and worms are both quick AOE switches depending on spawn and Destro has no way to deal with it. Still, that's hardly a grounds for retooling Destro AOE, especially when it's now a very under-used spec. Not that it would be hard... just boost Rain of Fire's damage by 40% and they'd be close. :P

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    ... Dreamwalker it definitely shows though. Suppressors and worms are both quick AOE switches depending on spawn and Destro has no way to deal with it.
    2 shotted that encounter on 25 man, destro lock comes 2nd on damage meter with 6k dps.
    Don't really see any problems there.

thanks for response.
    of course i know that soc is always the best choice when doing aoe - even as destro. but when playing destro, aoe is always behind because:
    affliction has talented soc +eradication which makes your aoe dps go nuts
    demo has immolation aura, more spellpower, haste from spellstone and +10% spelldamage from dark pact.

as i said, if blizz let backdraft affect rain of fire, destro could keep up.

thanks