Thread: q6600 + 550ti

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

q6600 + 550ti

Hello there people, may I ask if the Q6600 at stock with 550ti can play wow at medium+ at 1440 X 900 resolution?,
    also is the same setup any use for Diablo III ?.
    The reason I ask is I can pick up a machine as above for less than £100 pounds to replace an old AMD 9150e and Radeon HD 4670 setup for my daughters usage, I assume the Intel will be much better?, thanks a lot :~.
    Last edited by nartfokka; 2015-04-13 at 11:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be able to run WoW at medium pushing up depending on what is enabled with new character models etc. 550ti is not a bad little card. Diablo 3 should be medium to low runnable, I've had Diablo 3 running on a GTX 6600 when I had a GPU death (albeit it looked terrible)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, would there be a big difference between the Q6600 / 550 ti and the AMD 9150e / HD4670, for e.g the AMD setup gets around 30fps on mostly lowest setting with the old models just questing in WoD. Would the Intel setup be much better?.

Yes, significantly. 550ti is comparable to 5770 which is basically 4870 in performance, and you can see that 4670 is a few steps below 4870.
    As for WoW, you can probably run it on High outside of raids, with shadows on low of course, because of the CPU. The only problem with the card it is that it's usually 1GB VRAM, which means you can forget about playing the new console ports that require 2 or 3GB VRAM. But you can't really ask much more form a £100 configuration, in fact it's amazing for that price.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-04-13 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Yes, significantly. 550ti is comparable to 5770 which is basically 4870 in performance, and you can see that 4670 is a few steps below 4870.
    As for WoW, you can probably run it on High outside of raids, with shadows on low of course, because of the CPU. The only problem with the card it is that it's usually 1GB VRAM, which means you can forget about playing the new console ports that require 2 or 3GB VRAM. But you can't really ask much more form a £100 configuration, in fact it's amazing for that price.
    Depends what he gets. Last weekend I picked up a GA-Z68AP-D3 + I5 2500k + 16gb kingston hyperX for 100£ and that was in Denmark where it is vastly more expensive. Might want to look around for better deals.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try buying that setup in UK Bantokar :P, the q6600 system is a full setup with win 7 and 500 hdd and 8g ram, it is a pc for my daughters light gaming use and schoolwork, just the mobo in england is hard to get for close to the £96.99 I can buy the q6600/550 ti system for, the system will be mainly used for WoW and Diablo 3 gaming wise not for any modern games as she can use my system for those, the rest of the time will be net surfing and browser games only.

You can get the Q6600's mobo's in the UK for £50 and under, many at £30. We're talking second hand for everything here, and with the right guy looking for a quick buck you could quite easily pick up something better for cheaper. If you give out your general area, someone might be able to find you an excellent deal that you could pick up for £100 or around that area, the sky really is the limit for second hand PCs to be honest.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    It should be able to run WoW at medium pushing up depending on what is enabled with new character models etc. 550ti is not a bad little card. Diablo 3 should be medium to low runnable, I've had Diablo 3 running on a GTX 6600 when I had a GPU death (albeit it looked terrible)
    He's running 1600x900... pretty sure he could do better than medium.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't seek why would you need any kind of an upgrade to run such ancient games like WoW and D3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah the Q6600. That brings me back. Still an awesome CPU if you overclock it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VRei View Post
    I don't seek why would you need any kind of an upgrade to run such ancient games like WoW and D3.
    Right, because pairing up WoW and D3... two games that were launched more than 5 years apart (nearly 10) into the same general idea of being 'ancient games' is going to end well.

Diablo 3 is just coming up on 3 years old (wow. How time flies!) and WoW is going to have its 11 year anniversary this year. So, please hold any further statements until you fact-check yourself.

Anyways, if you're so out of the loop of Blizzard games, allow me to bring you up to speed:

WoW has had MANY graphical and processor-level upgrades over its lifetime and many of those have made it a far more demanding game than when it originally launched. View distance has gone from 10 feet to 10,000 feet, for one. (Exaggeration, but only so much.) As well as particle effects, detail in character and NPC models and gear. AKA more polygons than you can shake an Intel Celeron single core at. Also, don't get me started on the zones and the amount of ground clutter, leaves, trees, plants, mobs, etc... it's insane and makes old GTX 5xx cards run at max. I know, because I, who had a 560 Ti, and my friends who had 570s/580s had heat problems suddenly crop up after MoP came out. Jade Forest, holy shit.

Diablo 3? While yes, for a 2012 game it looks pretty pathetic, I've not seen too many of its style, other than Path of Exile, that really look much better. And why should they? When you have a half billion mobs on the screen (totally not an exaggeration!) don't you think that's enough for the CPU/GPU to work around, besides adding on more graphical details?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water