Page 1 of 2
LastLast

survival hunter gemming

I just bought t10 chest. Is it better to go with 2x 20 agility gem or 1x20 agility 1x10 agility/15stamina for 6 agility bonus? I already got 10 to all stats gem in my legs. Hunter vs wild would give me about 5AP for me and my pet vs 4 agility (not calculating +% stamina or agility talents and bok).

Re: survival hunter gemming

Quote Originally Posted by satletio
    I just bought t10 chest. Is it better to go with 2x 20 agility gem or 1x20 agility 1x10 agility/15stamina for 6 agility bonus? I already got 10 to all stats gem in my legs. Hunter vs wild would give me about 5AP for me and my pet vs 4 agility (not calculating +% stamina or agility talents and bok).
    www.femaledwarf.com

Learn it, love it.
    When in doubt, check a spreadsheet.

10+ Year Old Account

idk about surv hunters, but isnt 40 agil better than 36? ???

Quote Originally Posted by destructard
    idk about surv hunters, but isnt 40 agil better than 36? ???
    Yes, but given the number of questions I've seen on this forum board that ask questions like these, I've decided to just post www.femaledwarf.com and tell them to figure it out.
    When in doubt, check a spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerlu
    www.femaledwarf.com

Learn it, love it.
    ^

Also, AFAIK according to the thread on MMO-champion about hunters, you should gem accordingly on your helm/chest as they give high AP set bonuses.

I have been using Femaledwarfhunter until recently when it started suggesting I change all my gems to ArP. I am a survival hunter. What am I doing wrong?

Here is my armory also http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...gall&cn=Zaxton

As a Survival hunter you ALWAYS want to gem straight 20 agi gems, with the exception of a yellow socket bonus of ~6 agi+, ~12 ap+, in which case it is alright to throw a 10 agi 10 crit gem in it. NEVER use a 10 agi 15 stam gem. Instead, to activate your meta, put a Nightmares Tear (+10 all stats) in the best blue socket bonus (~6 agi+).
    <Decidedly Uncouth> Horde Mal'Ganis

but even so, 20 agi and a 10 agi/15 stam is still 30agi, 15 stam and 5 ap for surv, and Survivability is always nice

I guess my question moreso is why would FDH be suggesting ArP gems when I have it all set up as a Survival hunter? Has anyone else had this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxton
    I guess my question moreso is why would FDH be suggesting ArP gems when I have it all set up as a Survival hunter? Has anyone else had this experience?
    At one point it seems that arpen will surpass agi as the best stat even as survival. A lot of the damage dealt by a surv hunter is physical so it does actually benefit from arpen a lot more than people think. Surv merely has a lot better agi-modifiers through talents than MM does, making the point where arpen becomes the best stat to gem happen at a later point in the gearing.

Edit: Looking at your gear I find it kinda weird that it would suggest arpen gems over agi though, perhaps it's a bug. Also, make sure the "Default gem" isn't set to "Fractured Cardinal Ruby"
    I imported your char to femaledwarf to check and it showed agi as superior to arpen by a considerable margin.
    [19:41:18] [S] [85:Furial:1]: If I were told in vanilla that one day hunters would be able to res 24 people in 1 go I would have quit the game

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettah
    but even so, 20 agi and a 10 agi/15 stam is still 30agi, 15 stam and 5 ap for surv, and Survivability is always nice

so you rather have 30 agi, 5 ap and some more hp than 40 agi?

l2pve

with SV, the simple way to go is to Gem AGI AGI and moar AGI (and a nightmare tear).

If you want to get fancy, go agi/crit, but just gem agi for PvE SV.

As for Survivablility, if you are geming this way to live longer, l2move out of fire, or teach your healers how to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinni
    so you rather have 30 agi, 5 ap and some more hp than 40 agi?

l2pve
    it would be 36 agi, 15 stam and 5 ap, and yes, it might be viable depending on the bonus?

it would be 36 agi, 15 stam and 5 ap, and yes, it might be viable depending on the bonus?
    Not sure where you're getting a hybrid gem with 16 agil/15 stam. 10 agil/15 stam is the best one.

So that's 30 agil, 15 stam, 5 AP, and socket bonus vs. 40 agil.

Which basically comes down to 5 AP + socket bonus vs. 10 agil.

There is NO socket bonus that makes up that difference. The 10 agil will always be higher, no matter the socket bonus (based off current gear).

15+ Year Old Account

Did you even read the entire thread? the socket bonus becomes active with the blue gem, that adds 6 agility.

Quote Originally Posted by Toas
    Not sure where you're getting a hybrid gem with 16 agil/15 stam. 10 agil/15 stam is the best one.

So that's 30 agil, 15 stam, 5 AP, and socket bonus vs. 40 agil.

Which basically comes down to 5 AP + socket bonus vs. 10 agil.

There is NO socket bonus that makes up that difference. The 10 agil will always be higher, no matter the socket bonus (based off current gear).

not gonna flame or nothing but the point was he is gemming (or nor gemming) for the 6 agi bonus which adds up to a 36 agi 15 stam 5 ap vs. 40 agi

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=56341

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=24297

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=19259

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=34502

think his talents confused him.

Gear

Survival is very dependent on Agility in the sense that the more Agility you have, the more it will benefit you (obviously). This is due to the Expose Weakness talent. Currently in my raid gear I have 1879 Agility unbuffed. Raid buffed, this can jump close to 2400. Expose Weakness offers 500-700 Attack Power when it's up. This is HUGE.

Survival is also very Crit-Based. Do not neglect Crit rating from gear! this is often a huge mistake I (and many other Hunters I have seen) make in game.

Gems

Always gem for Agility, except when you have your best set bonus (I.E. 32 AP, 12 AP) in which case you place a +10 to stats gem which would also take care of your Meta Gem if you're using the correct one.

Red Gems
    Delicate Cardinal Ruby: +20 agi
    Delicate Scarlet Ruby: +16 agi

Orange Gems
    Glinting Flawless Ametrine: +10 agi +10 hit
    Deadly Flawless Ametrine: +10 agi +10 crit
    Glinting Noble Topaz: +8 agi +8 hit
    Deadly Noble Topaz: +8 agi +8 crit

Purple Gems
    Shifting Dreadstone: +10 agi +15 stam
    Shifting Twilight Opal: +8 agi +12 stam

Green Gems
    Vivid Eye of Zul: +10 hit +15 stam
    Jagged Eye of Zul: +10 crit +15 stam

Prismatic Gems
    Nightmare Tear: +10 stats
    Enchanted Tear: +6 stats
    Gem Agility

Edit: Source

40 agi is going to do more dps than 30 agi + 5 ap + some HP. Rather than spend on some extra HP, just be more raid aware so that you can gem for better output and not need to worry about gemming stam.

not gonna flame or nothing but the point was he is gemming (or nor gemming) for the 6 agi bonus which adds up to a 36 agi 15 stam 5 ap vs. 40 agi
    Still, 40 agi > 36 agi + 5 ap.

Issue is not which gemming choice provides more dps. That is obvious. The question is whether a small dps loss (and it is more than 4 Agi, considering the agi multipliers in SV talents and kings), but whether a small dps loss is worth the tradeoff of the increased survivability of 15 stam (which also get benefits of Kings).

I think the answer lies in your specific raid set up. If you have dps issues in killing bosses, well, gem for dps. If you have healing issues or are running with a small healing crew (2 on 10, 5 on 25), then the survivability choice makes sense.

That is my 2 cents on this question...

Quote Originally Posted by Namor of Muradin
    Issue is not which gemming choice provides more dps. That is obvious. The question is whether a small dps loss (and it is more than 4 Agi, considering the agi multipliers in SV talents and kings), but whether a small dps loss is worth the tradeoff of the increased survivability of 15 stam (which also get benefits of Kings).

I think the answer lies in your specific raid set up. If you have dps issues in killing bosses, well, gem for dps. If you have healing issues or are running with a small healing crew (2 on 10, 5 on 25), then the survivability choice makes sense.

That is my 2 cents on this question...
    4 agility is 4.92 agilty with talents and kings, we'll call it 5 for sanity's sake.

So you're trading 5 total agility for 17ish stamina and 5 AP. 17ish stamina provides another 6ish AP, so you're comparing 5 agility to ~11 AP and almost 200 hp. Last I was survival, two AP was almost equal to one agility, so you're looking at maybe a couple of DPS loss for almost 200 life.

The DPS loss should be practically insignificant. Then again, the life gain won't likely save you from a void zone either.