Additive or multiplicative?

I'm currently evaluating and considering my gemming and enchanting and all that jazz. Of course, this influences my healing output as well. Way back in TBC I used to have an Excel sheet with which I held a firm grasp on my healing, but I've since lost it.

The one question that I have about it though, is this: are the various healing boni additive or multiplicative? When for instance I am looking at Circle of Healing, it receives the following boni (in Holy spec) to total healing done: 5% from Twin Disciples, 10% from Spiritual Healing, 3% from Blessed Resilience and 10% from Divine Providence.

Would the total then be 28% (5% + 10% + 10% + 3%) or rather 30,86% (5% * 10% * 10% * 3%)?

Re: Additive or multiplicative?

you multiply them

it goes like this:

(spellpower cofficient * spellpower + tooltip avg number)*1.05*1.10*1.03*1.10 = CoH total output

healing bonus are multiplicative, same goes with dps damage numbers

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

They changed the mechanics in patch 3.0. Before WoTLK hit us, you added together bonuses of the same "level". I never quite understood which buffs were on the same "level", but I still remember that Searing Light and Force of Will were additive, not multiplicative, while the zonewide buffs were always multiplicative, and setbonuses seemed to be a bit of both. Luckily, that's no longer relevant ;D

Nowadays, you just multiply everything. Easy to work out; a 5% buff is a 5% buff.

The only exception is the "empowered" talents (empowered healing, empowered renew) which only multiplies with your spell coefficient, not the final result. A lot of people are still fooling themselves thinking Empowered Healing is awesome as a result :P

EDIT: Actually, that's not quite true. BoK and Spirit of Redemption are still additive. Meaning you get a 15% buff with both, not a 16.5% buff. I guess there are still some additive stuff in there :P

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Thanks for the info, I searched around with Google, but couldn't really get a clear answer on composition of the various boni. This helps solve it :P.

And I am purely looking at myself, completely unbuffed for now. I will take another measure of my healing potential when fully raid buffed (should have done that earlier tonight ) and check how regemming changes those values.

Fully unbuffed, I am underwhelmed though on swapping out gems. I'd lose out on about 6 to 10k mana on a 6 min fight if I swap out my Spirit gems from pure SP (or SP / Int, SP / Spi), while only getting about a 3-5% boost in total healing power across all spells.

Actually I also need to check this against total number of spells I cast during a boss fight. I think the difference will be marginal, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner

The only exception is the "empowered" talents (empowered healing, empowered renew) which only multiplies with your spell coefficient, not the final result. A lot of people are still fooling themselves thinking Empowered Healing is awesome as a result :P
    jeez now i feel cheated, how i was fooled o.O" (but wait, i have an excuse! i don't play healz much ;D)

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com