[Ele] Question concerning fire totems

Hi everyone!

With my elemental shaman I am slowly closing in on dinging and I figured most parts about strategies but one: Fire Totems. As far as I understand I shouldn't use tow if a pala or warlock with a crit buff is present in the raid.

1. But what other totem to use? Searing or Magma?

2. How do I place it? What's the best strategy for maximising dps? Should I place three on the outside, run in and place searing/magma? or place all four totems in melee range? Should I then run out or stay close to the totems? I imagine running out will decrease my dps, but magma stays active for only 20 secs? So I would have to close in every 20 secs to place it again which seems really annoying. On the other side I would have a real problem with boss aoe or silencing effects, or movement in general? :S

3. What priority does Fire Nova have, on a) mob packs b) single targets?

Really confused, would appreciate some help from more advanced shaman.

cheers

Re: [Ele] Question concerning fire totems

Below is information that you should use only if your elemental:

- Drop Totem of Wrath

If you are ele and raid with a demo warlock...

- You should be close to dropping Fire Elemental every fight then dropping Searing totem.
    - If you are in melee range such as Anub'arak or Rotface, Magma + Fire Nova really are a DPS increase.

Never Fire Nova on single target. It costs a global cooldown that is better used with a CL or LB.

Here is copy and paste from the Elemental FAQ that is stickied and bolded on the first page of the shaman forums:

Fire Totems and You!
    Basic Rules of Fire Totems:
    -ALWAYS Use Totem of Wrath if you do not have the increased spellpower from Demonology Warlocks or do not have the 3% crit debuff from Retribution Paladins or Assassination Rogues.
    -Fire totems scale with Spell Power and Spell Critical. NOT HASTE.
    -Use your Fire Elemental when: It will not be killed and your stats are at their highest. This means that before using it, make sure your trinkets that can stack for spell power are maxed out, your procs that increase spell power (such as the new ring from Icecrown reputation) are active, and you have used a potion to increase your spellpower and crit ([urlhttp://www.wowhead.com/?item=40212]Potion of Wild Magic[/url]).
    -Else, keep Searing Totem active.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabcakez
    Below is information that you should use only if your elemental:

- Drop Totem of Wrath

If you are ele and raid with a demo warlock...

- You should be close to dropping Fire Elemental every fight then dropping Searing totem.
    - If you are in melee range such as Anub'arak or Rotface, Magma + Fire Nova really are a DPS increase.

As was just pointed out this information has already been presented to you, now you simply have to read it. Please take a long read over the entire Elemental FAQ stickied and bolded at the top of the forums to ensure you are not asking anymore questions that have already been covered.