1. #1

    Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    So I decided I want to record some of my in-game time I spend in WoW - mostly PvP stuff - and make a movie or two out of it. I never really recorded anything serious before, though.

    So I was wondering if you guys have any tips for me, on what (free/affordable) programs to use to record and edit video (and audio) footage? Maybe a point in a direction for some tutorials I can follow? Any general tips and tricks, do's and don'ts with making such movies, etc?

    Would be very much appreciated.
    A part of MMO-Champion died the day Curse took over. Next thing they want us to pay for a premium account to read MMO-Champion and Wowpedia. I definitely see that happen one day.

  2. #2

    Re: Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    Best is fraps I think, but a free alternative: http://v2.planetgamecam.com/?locid=features

    To edit you'll need a video editing program though (Windows Movie Maker for example)
    Kami - Guild Wars 2 Elementalist - Desolation EU
    <Obey Gaming> - https://obeygaming.com/

  3. #3
    Moderator Cilraaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    9,062

    Re: Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    You can also look in to Xfire. It has options for video record and live broadcasts.

  4. #4

    Re: Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    You can also look in to Xfire. It has options for video record and live broadcasts.
    I'm not sure about recording, but I've tried broadcasting and I've had quite some trouble with that. It's still nice for chatting though :>
    Kami - Guild Wars 2 Elementalist - Desolation EU
    <Obey Gaming> - https://obeygaming.com/

  5. #5
    Moderator Cilraaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    9,062

    Re: Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    I downloaded the most recent version and had no issues setting up a live broadcast. I have not yet tried video capture, but seeing as that feature was available before the live broadcast, I'd assume some of the wrinkles were pressed out of it. It might not be the best option for some, but more options are better than less.

    If you are planning to do the live broadcast, make sure you can handle some odd graphics. I was in a heroic UK testing the live broadcast. Without Xfire broadcasting, 120 fps. With Xfire broadcasting, 41 fps, but it had an obvious visual "stutter". It's tough to explain.

  6. #6

    Re: Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    I downloaded the most recent version and had no issues setting up a live broadcast. I have not yet tried video capture, but seeing as that feature was available before the live broadcast, I'd assume some of the wrinkles were pressed out of it. It might not be the best option for some, but more options are better than less.

    If you are planning to do the live broadcast, make sure you can handle some odd graphics. I was in a heroic UK testing the live broadcast. Without Xfire broadcasting, 120 fps. With Xfire broadcasting, 41 fps, but it had an obvious visual "stutter". It's tough to explain.
    Haven't tried it recently, last time I tried was during Naxx-25, when it was just released :> Hopefully it's better now.
    Kami - Guild Wars 2 Elementalist - Desolation EU
    <Obey Gaming> - https://obeygaming.com/

  7. #7
    Moderator Cilraaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    9,062

    Re: Recording in-game (WoW) stuff, help wanted for a n00b director

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    Haven't tried it recently, last time I tried was during Naxx-25, when it was just released :> Hopefully it's better now.
    It was actually quite good, aside from the graphical "stutter". Like I said, it's really had to explain, but you know how around 25 fps things look smooth, yet you can tell it's just slightly off (and usually have a bit of eye strain)? While broadcasting, I had that feeling around 40 fps.

    My computer is a bit of a mid-range system nowadays, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •