Poll: Like the Idea?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

An Idea for Deathknight tanks in Cataclysm.

We all know that Catalysm gets rid of the dreaded defence rating and makes it so that tanks get their crit immunity from talents.

But this got me to thinking, what about the Deathknight and it's multi tree tanking? will their be 3 different talent suggestions? If so how will this effect PvP, 6% crit reducdtion would be a huge boon in defend alongside regular ability and such, so I thought this up.

Rune of the stoneskin gargoyle is changed to give +2% stamina and reduce critical strikes by 6%

Rune of nerubian carapace is +1% stamina and reduce critical strikes by 3%

this way we don't have a PvP specc with a huge amount of crit reduction and it gives the runes that used to give defence a use still.

Edit: Feedback would be nice as to why this is/isn't a good idea.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: An Idea for Deathknight tanks in Cataclysm.

Maybe they have planned something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deralte
    Maybe they have planned something like this.
    It does seem very much likely, or people could "double dip" into the talents if they are placed in both trees.

10+ Year Old Account

I would imagine they'd put one talent in, somewhere at the top. It would allow more flexibility than putting it on the rune (hey, I'd prefer tanking heroics with a DPS rune, thankyouverymuch).

i wouldn't rely on the runes, it would give certain issues

when defense is removed, tanks will focus more on avoidance (and as always stam) which means swordbreaking would become more popular, i already see several DK tanks running with nerubian on mainhand and swordbreaking on offhand

i think the crit reduction will be more like a first or second tier talent that is accessable for everyone, just like the ones everyone takes now or maybe even just added to 1 of those abilities rather then adding a new one

if you really wanna see some DK tank changes in Cataclysm, i'd like to see a way for DKs to get more snap agro on AoE packs or make DnD less expensive to cast, maybe even change it completly like this:
    DnD only takes 1 blood rune, no longer does damage but causes an AoE taunt that builds up threat over 10 seconds (or something along this line)

this would cause it to be useless in pvp yet a great ability for DK tanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Someone believes the earth is flat, call them stupid.
    Someone believes Andorra is in Africa, call them uneducated.
    Someone believes you can go make coffee in the back of your car because it's set on "autopilot", call them retarded.
    But if someone believes a magical bearded man rewards you with eternal life in the clouds as long as you drink the magical whine-blood of a long dead carpenter in church, don't you dare argue with his beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    I would imagine they'd put one talent in, somewhere at the top. It would allow more flexibility than putting it on the rune (hey, I'd prefer tanking heroics with a DPS rune, thankyouverymuch).

This would cause problems with PvP no doubt, because if it's only a 1 talent point at the top I am 100% sure people for PvP would take it, so Deathknights get a flat 6% crit reduction on top of resilence.

You could of course make it only effect PvE targets, but Blizzard did say they want little to no more Flat stat talents that are mandatory.

My guess is that they will work it into Frost Pres, just as they are likely to do with our mastery bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin
    My guess is that they will work it into Frost Pres, just as they are likely to do with our mastery bonuses.
    this is more likely then the OP's idea but i doubt it, last time we had a good frost presence, it became overused in pvp (cause of the stam and damage reduction) so it got nerfed from +10% hp to +6% stamina
    if you add a -6% crit buff to frost presence, we'll be back to it being overused in PVP which means it'll get nerfed

i have no idea how they would imput it tbh as my last post maed sence to me, but it would end up the same as i stated above: a tanking ability/talent overused in pvp and nerfed faster then you can say Death Knight

maybe they'll tie it to a specific tanking talent like improved frost presence in frost; vampiric blood in blood etc.
    i still think it wont be placed on runes due to the fact there are several tanking runes to pick from and it would make all other tanking runes useless
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Someone believes the earth is flat, call them stupid.
    Someone believes Andorra is in Africa, call them uneducated.
    Someone believes you can go make coffee in the back of your car because it's set on "autopilot", call them retarded.
    But if someone believes a magical bearded man rewards you with eternal life in the clouds as long as you drink the magical whine-blood of a long dead carpenter in church, don't you dare argue with his beliefs.

I would think they would do either this or a low tier talent.

I'm willing to bet they will just add a 0.4% crit reduction per talent point to Blade Barrier, Toughness and Anticipation. That way when you put 5 points into one of them you get 2% crit reduction and all 3 nets you 6% crit reduction like a feral druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee
    I'm willing to bet they will just add a 0.4% crit reduction per talent point to Blade Barrier, Toughness and Anticipation. That way when you put 5 points into one of them you get 2% crit reduction and all 3 nets you 6% crit reduction like a feral druid.
    Then the DK tank I saw LFG in trade last night with 0/5 in Blade Barrier would get crit like a mother fucker.

I whispered him and recommended he spec into Blade Barrier. He responded with "u do know dks can tank wit all 3 trees rite"

.....sigh, how do these people get their shoes on in the morning.

Oh, and you know what he had instead of Blade Barrier?

2 points in Vicious Strikes, 3 points in Outbreak, to buff Plague Strike damage. IN A FROST TANKING SPEC.

/facepalm

It does sound like an easy way to balance it without making it go in pvp.
    But like said above, I wouldn't like it.
    But what's wrong with having less chance to be crit?
    A lot of other classes have things that happen after they've been crit like crit immunity and self heals etc (like priests, druids, warriors) and for example mages have a shield that gives them less chance to be crit.

10+ Year Old Account

I hope they plan on doing something like this in cata.
    Since defense rating will be removed maybe have the tanking runes give stam and dodge or stam and parry. Or just reduced crit like you said.
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE