Potion of Wild Magic vs Potion of speed

Which potion is better for MM, I would go the spreadsheet but I heard the spreadsheet overvalues haste.

Re: Potion of Wild Magic vs Potion of speed

I think wild magic is better in situations where you pop it once 2p t10 procs, and if you have 2p t9 as well, because the %crit is preserved if you refresh with chimera in the same way as you preserve the 15% extra damage.

15+ Year Old Account

If you can do what Raven says and then maintain that sting for the rest of the fight then wild magic, otherwise speed.

Pre-pot Wild Magic and bank on a 2p T10 proc in the first 7 or so seconds, then pot Speed during the fight, IMO.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I have developed a strong hatred of Haste. It is a absolutely worthless stat for Hunters. So Wild Magic in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    I have developed a strong hatred of Haste. It is a absolutely worthless stat for Hunters. So Wild Magic in my opinion.
    It's not "worthless", it's "less than optimal". Autoshot still counts for a large amount of damage. You should never TRY to get haste unless there's really no other option.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Haste is only bad on gear.

If we get it through buffs or CD's it's pure gold since our gear has loads of crit and arp. AKA moonbeams on hodir, rapid fire, lust, haste pot, imp hawk etc.
    "Cataclysm could have used more of Nozdormu. I think all he did was show up shirtless to Thrall's wedding."

-Anonymous priest

Quote Originally Posted by LordArcsinh
    Pre-pot Wild Magic and bank on a 2p T10 proc in the first 7 or so seconds, then pot Speed during the fight, IMO.
    This is basically the best way to do it that I can think of. Preserving future haste-pot use while wagering, and rightly so, on a favorable spread of procs early in the fight gives you the most flexibility even if you don't hit the target every fight. Worst case scenario the boss still likely drops since you are 1/25th of the raid; while getting best possible dps is wonderful and worth striving for I shudder to imagine a fight where it clearly comes down to this failure leading to a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Morai
    This is basically the best way to do it that I can think of. Preserving future haste-pot use while wagering, and rightly so, on a favorable spread of procs early in the fight gives you the most flexibility even if you don't hit the target every fight. Worst case scenario the boss still likely drops since you are 1/25th of the raid; while getting best possible dps is wonderful and worth striving for I shudder to imagine a fight where it clearly comes down to this failure leading to a wipe.
    brutallus
    "Cataclysm could have used more of Nozdormu. I think all he did was show up shirtless to Thrall's wedding."

-Anonymous priest

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Don't forget its either 500 haste or 200 crit. Not taking t10 2p into account speed pot is definately better.

I'll do a quick calculation since people like to throw out ideas without any fact on em.
    MM hunter with roughly 55% crit/200 haste/little over 1k arp unbuffed

500 haste on MY gear = 608.5 dps
    200 crit on MY gear = 357.2 dps

I suppose if there's a way to keep extra crit on your SrS then fine, that's a benefit for the entire fight, otherwise for me its pretty obvious which potion is better for pushing max dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks
    I'll do a quick calculation since people like to throw out ideas without any fact on em.
    MM hunter with roughly 55% crit/200 haste/little over 1k arp unbuffed

500 haste on MY gear = 608.5 dps
    200 crit on MY gear = 357.2 dps

I suppose if there's a way to keep extra crit on your SrS then fine, that's a benefit for the entire fight, otherwise for me its pretty obvious which potion is better for pushing max dps.
    Well yeah, the end goal of this is to use the added crit on top of %dmg and crit procs to roll a giant Serpent Sting throughout the whole fight. If that wasn't clear before I hope we can all continue the discussion with that in mind.

Chimera Shot 'fixes' or 'locks in' whatever percent damage or crit increases are present when the sting is fired. So by pre-potting wild magic and betting on 2pT10/DBW/Culling the Herd all going off while the potion effect is active you can carry those increases the whole fight while still benefiting from the speed pot later on down the fight. Locks and shadow priests have analogous systems in place as well where we all re-apply specific dots when it is favorable to gain more dps.