Thread: No Voice

No Voice

so, first off all, ive been playing this game for quite some time, around 4years give or take, ive done pretty much all the content in TBC and vanilla,both PvE and PvP, i stopped playing for a year, and came back about a month ago.

i used to raid with RL friends, and some online buddies who knew me well.
    but i have a problem, see, these people knew that i was non-verbal, or as most people call it, a mute.

but since ive come back, ive tried alot of guilds and arena partners, because hell, i dont mean to brag, but im a catch :3
    although, ive been having plenty of problems with not being able to speak over vent, telling people what to do, or when to taunt, or getting out of the fire (im a tank, now). or when to sync our CC in arena, when to switch targets, etc or call out a sheep/root, whatnot.
    but for some reason im having so much more trouble getting in decent raiding guild or in a good arena team with my inability to speak.

now, my question is, does anyone else have this issue?
    is needing to talk to eachother that important?
    ive actually been kicked out of 1 raiding guild, and pushed aside by another because i cant say anything over vent,
    trust me, i would trade anything to be able to talk, but it just isnt the case.
    is there no place in world of warcraft for a mute?

Re: No Voice

My 0 lights heroic anub guild raids with a deaf person. But more to your case, I've seen tons of people in top end guilds who never speak, and its not a problem at all.

Edit: If it really is an issue for you, might I suggest a sound board?
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

Find better guilds that don't need someone to tell them to get out of fires.

OT should know when to taunt without being told.

In short, join guilds that don't suck.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Yeah not a problem my any means, just the guilds acting like dicks about it, back in the pre tbc days nihilum raid lead entirely through text chat (ie no vent server) it is by all means possible
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellevad View Post
    The polymorph turtle doesn't walk slower than the polymorph sheep. It's just a bit less likely to be hit on by a welshman

As a raid leader, no speaking is better. There's less fail shit I have to listen to while I'm driving the raid. That's one less person talking over someone else, one less person waiting to get a word in. Actually I would have more faith that you're paying attention to what the hell you're supposed to be doing.

And if you were in my raid, if I asked you something, I will generally be a yes or no question and that's easy enough to type.

Some of the tanks I usually raid with hardly ever utters a word on VT, they can speak though, but I guess they are timid. Raiding with them is just fine, since just one tank pretty much needs to be able to speak. One of them didn't even have a microphone until halfway through T9 content, and that's with things like GotR and GotUR completed.

However, if you really need to be able to tell something fast via chat, I suggest making some pre-made macroes like >Taunting %t!< and some encounter related macros that might be needed.
    Most of the guilds I know of (probably incl. the one I'm in) generally has a rule saying *You are required to be able to listen and speak on Ventrilo* but I hardly ever see that rule enforced, I just guess you're unlucky.

+ You also have to factor in that finding a new guild near the end of an expansion is hard since most guilds usually have a core group of raiders by then, this is especially harder as a tank since you only need 2-3 of them per raid (I had that same problem at the end of TBC after my old guild went apart).

Some encounters gets shitty when communication is limited though, but that's when the before-mentioned macros come in handy and should suffice.
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Executus&n=Pzyclopz

You don't NEED a mic, but in my guilds, I would prefer my tanks to have mics.

fair enough, thanks for all the replies, i'll get right on it, finding a good guild

nevertheless, what about Arena?
    in TBC ive been duelist every season, with exception of S4, but those were with people that knew me well, i have a hard time fixing a Arena team without having a mic, i havent done any arena since S5, so i dont know if its any harder/easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceara
    You don't NEED a mic, but in my guilds, I would prefer my tanks to have mics.
    and this is what i was talking about pretty much, i love tanking, and im goddamn good at it, but it might become really annoying when you cant yell shit out (trust me, i know >.<) in engame raids, Icecrown thingie, etc?

though, thanks for the replies, gave me some courage to keep looking

Not a problem, have someone else lead the raids. There's no reason for you to lead them if you can't talk.

There isn't anything in wow that you absolutely need to be able to speak on vent for, all of the necesary communication can be done through text. It's probably going to be a little harder that way but it's certainly possible.

I was in the top raiding guild on my old server, and they didn't use ventrilo properly, it was just there for people who were new to encounters/wanted it, and for those who didn't like it, it wasn't enforced. It worked fine, and they got many firsts and are still going strong =)

well, thanks for all the positive replies.

it seems it might be abit harder for me, but i'l take that as an extra challenge

cheers, MMO-champ community

Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    As a raid leader, no speaking is better. There's less fail shit I have to listen to while I'm driving the raid. That's one less person talking over someone else, one less person waiting to get a word in. Actually I would have more faith that you're paying attention to what the hell you're supposed to be doing.

And if you were in my raid, if I asked you something, I will generally be a yes or no question and that's easy enough to type.
    I agree. We raid ICC with vent almost completely silently. The only people that talk are the tanks to just say "taunt" or someone needing a brez for doing something stupid.

well, i come from a very large and vocal/social guild, on vent pretty much all the time, talking in raid about pretty much everything.
    so im not really familiar with something other then that, but thanks again, some hope for me after all :3