Thread: what to gem?

what to gem?

My priest is disc and her second spec is holy is there a type of gem that can be beneficial for both specs?

Re: what to gem?

Intellect. Spell Power. After you don't need the Intellect, toss a Reckless gem (SP/Haste) in any yellow slot, and SP in everything else.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

since the above poster didn't mention blue sockets

spell power + spirit

or

intellect + spirit, depending upon if you have mana issues.

Quote Originally Posted by muto
    since the above poster didn't mention blue sockets

spell power + spirit

or

intellect + spirit, depending upon if you have mana issues.
    Spirit is a poor regen stat for Disc.

If you need to gem regen, int is good for both specs... however it's rare you need to gem for mana pool these days so i'd be looking at SP and Haste gems. If you really want to pick up a socket bonus that involves a blue socket then your only real alternative is SP/Spirit but you may want to consider if you really want that socket bonus... it may be better to go with pure SP.

If gemming for both specs i'd reccomend spellpower/mp5 for a blue, or int/mp5 as mp5 is much better for disc than spirit and still viable for holy although still not the best.

Reckless
    Runed

Quote Originally Posted by Teracia
    My priest is disc and her second spec is holy is there a type of gem that can be beneficial for both specs?
    it can also depend on what you are doing with these specs, for example i only used disc for pvp so (maby foolishly) i stacked a bit of crit with spell power.

if its for pve then Kelesti's post is correct.

Kuras.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Spirit is a poor regen stat for Disc.

If you need to gem regen, int is good for both specs... however it's rare you need to gem for mana pool these days so i'd be looking at SP and Haste gems. If you really want to pick up a socket bonus that involves a blue socket then your only real alternative is SP/Spirit but you may want to consider if you really want that socket bonus... it may be better to go with pure SP.
    I agree that you really don't need to gem for mana regen these days. But you shouldn't need to gem for haste either. You get plenty of haste from your gear that you'll get from TotC and ICC and such. But I had to LoL at your comment that Spirit is a poor regen stat for Disc....do you not know your talents or anything? Spirit is the only regen stat that a Disc priest wants. Our talents increase our Spirit by x%...I don't know why you think Spirit is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by icephantom02
    I agree that you really don't need to gem for mana regen these days. But you shouldn't need to gem for haste either. You get plenty of haste from your gear that you'll get from TotC and ICC and such.
    disc with hastecap spamshielding the raid is very strong for some encounters imo

But I had to LoL at your comment that Spirit is a poor regen stat for Disc....do you not know your talents or anything? Spirit is the only regen stat that a Disc priest wants. Our talents increase our Spirit by x%...I don't know why you think Spirit is bad.
    Holy takes profit from spirit due to spiritual guidance and imp hc and int is still the better regenstat (due to replenishment) for holy so i can't imagine these 6% more spirit from disc will change that, but i didn't do the math so not 100% sure

Quote Originally Posted by Akulos
    disc with hastecap spamshielding the raid is very strong for some encounters imo

Holy takes profit from spirit due to spiritual guidance and imp hc and int is still the better regenstat (due to replenishment) for holy so i can't imagine these 6% more spirit from disc will change that, but i didn't do the math so not 100% sure
    Disc hastecap for shieldspamming is pitifully low, if you arent at it without gemming you really shouldn't be raiding anything past and probably including ulduar. I do 100% agree on your assesment of spirit for disc though; even though they have a 6% talent its still garbage compared to Int, and mp5 is far superior unless you're getting alot of oo5sr time; which is retarded as disc. The only reason spirit is > mp5 for Holy is due to Spiritual Guidance turning spirit into a hybrid throughput stat (25% spirit --> Spellpower), and IHC...

Disc gets an extra 1% spirit which is subpar regen for them in comparison; when all disc wants is more throughput- regen was capped like 2 tiers back for them in a 25m setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctavice
    Disc hastecap for shieldspamming is pitifully low, if you arent at it without gemming you really shouldn't be raiding anything past and probably including ulduar.
    You are absolutely right, I really don't know what I was thinking when writing that crap, I've must been brainafk. Softcap (4.8%) haste should be enough for shieldspamming fully raidbuffed (with a 100% uptime of Borrowed Time) and for Tankhealing the softcap is 31%. Now it should be right.

Quote Originally Posted by icephantom02
    I agree that you really don't need to gem for mana regen these days. But you shouldn't need to gem for haste either. You get plenty of haste from your gear that you'll get from TotC and ICC and such. But I had to LoL at your comment that Spirit is a poor regen stat for Disc....do you not know your talents or anything? Spirit is the only regen stat that a Disc priest wants. Our talents increase our Spirit by x%...I don't know why you think Spirit is bad.
    More haste = more throughput... Haste is a far superior throughput stat than crit and due to the proportion of heals to health pool in my opinion haste is a greater throughput stat than SP. Reasoning is that additional SP after a certain point will geneally increase your overhealing whereas haste will always increase your effective healing (and overhealing) at the same rate.

I find it bizzare that in a game where more is better why you would want to stop gaining any stat. 99.9% of the haste caps people talk about are inncorrect and don't exist... or at least they define cap incorrectly. Cap is supposed to mean that any more of the stat after a certain level has 0 effect, this is not the case for the levels of haste people talk about.

Disc don't value spirit for a couple of reasons. Firstly the int talents in the disc tree prop int up as a far superior regen talent. 15% additional Int compared to 6% spirit as well as rapture working on entire mana pool irrespective of spirit. Secondly a typical disc priest will spend 100% of the time inside the FSR with very little means to get outside. This is also because their form of healing is preventative or proactive... whereas a holy priest is reactive and thus needs to wait for damage to heal and can use SoL procs to prolong downtimes in casting. Holy also get to boost their spirit regen thanks to Holy concentration which again inflates the value of spirit, disc get nothing of the sort and thus the spirit regen value remains low. Lastly disc get no secondary benefits from spirit, unlike holy who gets to convert 25% of their spirit to SP. This makes the itemisation points in spirit very lacklusture when compared to the effects of crit and haste.

All of those reasons combine to make spirit a very poor stat for a disc priest. Sure take whatever comes on gear but generally speaking you will see high end disc priests going for items with 0 spirit that yeild both crit and haste and rely on pure Int for regen.

Now you can LoL all you like and decide that I have no idea what i'm talking about, doesn't bother me, but there are plenty of theorycrafting sites that back up what i'm talking about. one such site values 1 spirit as 0.42 mp/5 for disc but 1.05 mp/5 for holy (more than double the value) When you look Int for disc you see it's worth 1.15 mp/5 which is nearly 3 times better than 1 point of spirit. So I find it ammusing you can sit there and lol when 1 point of Int will do nearly the same job as 3 points in spirit.

I think people have sort of missed the point here when it comes to gemming. Yes, Intellect is the superior stat for regen when compared to Spirit, regardless of which spec you're talking about, but that comparison is utterly useless when discussing gemming simply because Intellect and Spirit are on different colored gems. Obviously, if you need regen, you gem Intellect, and if you need throughput you gem SP and/or Haste; the only reason to gem Spirit is in a Blue socket is as part of a multi-color gem because the socket bonus is worth getting.

Also, I really don't like the advice of gemming MP5 in blue sockets unless you only use that piece of gear for Discipline. Yes, MP5 is a bit better for Discipline, but MP5 is still pretty terrible and not needed, so having a marginally worse stat in Spirit will make virtually no difference when running Discipline, but Spirit is considerably better than MP5 if you use that piece as Holy or Shadow. Hell, even as pure Discipline, I'd still consider using Spirit simply because it's only marginally worse under the 100% IFSR assumption, but considering that most longer fights have phase changes, I think Spirit will generally come out at least roughly even, depending on your gear.

As for gemming for shared time, I think you just need to primarily focus on the stats that work well for both, which is Intellect for Regen and SP and Haste for throughput and use Spirit to match blue sockets. If I were gemming for regen, I would probably look at SP/Int in reds, Int in yellows, and Int/Spirit in blues and for heavy throughput I would look at gemming SP or SP/Haste in reds, SP/Haste in yellows, and SP/Spirit in Blues. Obviously, neither setup is truly ideal for both, where Discipline would probably not match every blue socket while Holy will generally match all and you'll either have unneeded regen as Discipline to meet regen needs as Holy or insufficient regen for Holy to help Discipline's throughput (except at around 245-251 gear, where Holy ought to be able to get by without gemming for regen).

On top of that, I'd also consider adjusting gemming based on how much you play each spec. For me, I'm Holy in >90% of my 25-man raids, so I pretty much gem straight for Holy and accept that when I do go Disc, I'll have a little more Haste and a little less SP than I'd consider ideal. If you play more evenly, you may decide to perhaps be not quite ideal for either but very good for both.

Hello.

I've been scanning through the sticky on what priests should gem.
    Right now: Main spec is holy. Off-spec is Disc.
    Holy: 14/57/0
    Disc: 57/14/0
    I'm not sure if that is even a good spec for holy. I searched and searched, then put together a spec.
    Right now I've been looking at a priest that gemmed all haste. So, that's what I did. I have gemmed all haste, and now my guild master has told me that I'm in need of serious help. Requested that I search the mmo-champion forums for something that will help me. Sorta found that gemming haste is a big no no. So, I'm not sure if I should gem for int or spirit or mp5 or even a combination of them. So I'm in need of help. What should I gem for my armor right now? Also, if i need to change my spec/glyphs around, please tell me.

My [character] armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rona&cn=Tabika

Fella whom I copied the haste gemming from: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nd&n=Ba%C3%AEn

Quote Originally Posted by Tabika
    Hello.

I've been scanning through the sticky on what priests should gem.
    Right now: Main spec is holy. Off-spec is Disc.
    Holy: 14/57/0
    Disc: 57/14/0
    I'm not sure if that is even a good spec for holy. I searched and searched, then put together a spec.
    Right now I've been looking at a priest that gemmed all haste. So, that's what I did. I have gemmed all haste, and now my guild master has told me that I'm in need of serious help. Requested that I search the mmo-champion forums for something that will help me. Sorta found that gemming haste is a big no no. So, I'm not sure if I should gem for int or spirit or mp5 or even a combination of them. So I'm in need of help. What should I gem for my armor right now? Also, if i need to change my spec/glyphs around, please tell me.

My [character] armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rona&cn=Tabika

Fella whom I copied the haste gemming from: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nd&n=Ba%C3%AEn
    There is nothing wrong with gemming haste but I don't see value in going for pure haste... a balance of haste/sp with a bit of spirit thrown in works best for me... that is of course assuming holy... if you play disc at all it might be more worthwhile to go for sp/haste/int.

In any case, MMO champion is usually a bad place to get good advice... not to mention your GM doesn't know what they're talking about.

MMO champion is usually a bad place to get good advice...
    I am entitled to disagree, Worshaka. Players here are no worse than players anywhere else, and here you can get just as useful information here as everywhere else.

@Tabika:
    As far as your build, Tabika, drop 1 point out of Surge of Light, and all 5 points from Empowered Healing. Max out Empowered Renew, and Blessed Resilience. As far as what to do with the last point it's up to you (though you could go 2/3 Blessed Resil and 2/2 Body and Soul which is both popular and effective).

You say that gemming haste is a no no, and you're looking at Intellect/Spirit/mp5. Is that because you're running out of mana? If you're not, there's no reason to gem away from Spell Power and/or haste. I personally would stay away from pure haste gemming, and generally run with a Spellpower preference.

I'd advise against copying someone's talent build or gear set up, because someone's armory doesn't give you the why they're doing it. That logic, that understanding, is worth more than some arbitrary "do this".

MMO is certainly a step up from official WoW forums, but for very technical questions it really isn't quite the place either. It's not a question of player talent, but the community itself. IE; I won't get banned for this post as I would on a technical forum.

On topic: I wouldn't gem pure haste if you're over 11% haste without doing so. SP/Haste is a better option in general.

This user has been banned for this post. -- Kelesti

... Just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    I am entitled to disagree, Worshaka. Players here are no worse than players anywhere else, and here you can get just as useful information here as everywhere else.
    Opinions are opinions... that's fine... but the quality of information on MMO is nothing compared to EJs as an example. The average maturity level in MMO is substantially below more tightly regulated forums.

Having said that EJ's can be less accessible, particularly to those who perhaps don't have strong conceptual skills etc.

In any case I stand by my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Opinions are opinions... that's fine... but the quality of information on MMO is nothing compared to EJs as an example. The average maturity level in MMO is substantially below more tightly regulated forums.

Having said that EJ's can be less accessible, particularly to those who perhaps don't have strong conceptual skills etc.

In any case I stand by my statement.
    I'd even have to disagree with the quality. The quality of any EJ forums generally falls short as soon as you move away from Rogue/Warrior/Death Knight. Sure you find things that are nice, and useful nuggets but overall the quality of said information isn't really "that good".

And sure, the average maturity level on any forum can seem low than more tightly regulated forums. I could become a total tight ass and ban anyone who disagreed with me, it doesn't make these forums any better (infact the community suffers for it).

EJ's can be less accessible, particularly to those who perhaps don't have strong conceptual skills etc.
    And I take a bit of offense to that. The format, the wording, the general assumptions and often abandoned topics by authors who have long since moved on doesn't really have much to do with "conceptual" skills, and more or less "can you read enough to make you think you know what you're talking about? Or can you go out and actually do it yourself?"

Go ahead and stand by your opinion, but there's a reason EJ is not the only forums, even among hard edged theory crafters let alone separate contexts and discussions outside of them.