What totems for resto

Prolly has been asked alot before, but, for a resto shammy what totems should i use?

What combinations for what, like
    should i use mana spring in raid or in group, or not at all. Please.

Thank you
    Submit your guide or tutorial and win prizes!
    Guides for everything Minecraft! HowToMakeAMinecraftServer.com - Click to see more!

Re: What totems for resto

Sentry totem, that is all.

As for Mana Spring, depends if there's no paladin about buffing Blessing of Wisdom. If there's just one pally, he's probably dropping Kings on everyone so you'll want to drop your Mana Spring. If you've both got BoW and BoK, throw down a Healing Stream totem.

I usually drop a Stoneskin totem, but in case there's no death knight to keep up his horn you could use a Strength of Earth totem. Depends on the situation really, if you think your tanks could do well without the armor that Stoneskin provides.

As for Sentry, that's also a very good alternative.

Shamans in general should choose their totems based on what buffs are already present in the raid. Different raid make-ups need different totems to be dropped.

As others have said, it all depends on your group composition.

Earth totem: If you have a paladin running Devotion aura, you can skip Stoneskin and drop Strength of Earth. The opposite is true if you have a DK with Horn of Winter. If you happen to have both, drop Tremor or whatever else fits.

Air totem: WF if your group is melee-heavy, Wrath of Air if you have a lot of casters (or you're grouped with a Frost DK that has Improved Icy Touch).

Water totem: Mana Spring is your default. Switch to Healing Stream if a Paladin is buffing Wisdom, and obviously use Cleansing if the situation warrants it.

Fire totem: Drop Flametongue unless that buff is being provided by someone else; in that case, use Searing or Magma depending on the situation.

Actually, I thought Devotion Aura and Stoneskin stacked?

Depends on situation & raid-setup. Be flexible. You are a shaman!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheek
    Actually, I thought Devotion Aura and Stoneskin stacked?
    Not anymore, sadly. Both buffs may show up if one of them is improved by talents, but you'll only get the benefit of the strongest one.

Depends on your group composition and how selfish you want to be.

Earth Totem - Chances are in a 25man raid you'll have a dk, so you probably don't need to drop strength of earth, but you may need to in 10mans and it's a huge dps buff. Stoneskin is the other decent option, it'll free up your pallies to use a different aura so that's always nice.

Water Totem - Healing stream is nice, but if you're low on pallies and your healing isn't too stretched it may be worth using mana totem. Cleansing is your third option, but it's pretty situational at best. None of these totems are likely to make or break your encounter, just pick whatever seems more important to your group.

Fire Totem - Flametongue is the obvious choice, but it doesn't stack with Totem of Wrath or Demonic Pact so there's a good chance it'll get wasted in a 25man raid. Not really any other good options, although frost resist can come in handy.

Air Totem - Wrath of air VS Windfury. Both are very nice buffs, you'll just have to make a decision depending on which is going to improve the group more. The selfish option is wrath of air, and I can totally understand it if you're having trouble healing, but windfury could contribute a lot more to dps if you're melee-heavy. Your decision really, hopefully you'll have 2 shamans (or a frost dk) so you can just take both.

Ultimately it's your own choice (or your raid leaders choice), there's no set totems to use, just make sure you discuss it with the other shamans so that you're not using two of the same totem (fairly common if you have a resto + ele shaman for both to use wrath of air and leave the melee without windfury, I nearly always have to ask in pugs).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Magz
    Prolly has been asked alot before, but, for a resto shammy what totems should i use?

What combinations for what, like
    should i use mana spring in raid or in group, or not at all. Please.

Thank you
    I' m sry if I sound a bit rude, but you are thinking about raiding and have know clue about what totem you should use? : Combined with the fact you seem to play since vanilla (according to your sig), that really scares me ^^

As the other posters already said, you have to adapt according to your group setup, but actually, you see on the first view, which ones make sense and which don't.
    R.A.I.D - Resto at its destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Madhoof
    I' m sry if I sound a bit rude, but you are thinking about raiding and have know clue about what totem you should use? : Combined with the fact you seem to play since vanilla (according to your sig), that really scares me ^^

As the other posters already said, you have to adapt according to your group setup, but actually, you see on the first view, which ones make sense and which don't.
    Perhaps he just rolled a shaman due to his guild or whatever needing one?

15+ Year Old Account

OK, I my comment based on the fact he has leveled a shamy from 1 to 80 and is starting to raid now.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhoof
    OK, I my comment based on the fact he has leveled a shamy from 1 to 80 and is starting to raid now.
    you mean assumption
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby
    The thing I like most about this post (and there are SOOOOO many things to like) is that it means something different each time I read through it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by symbiosis
    you mean assumption
    Indeed. Thx for pimping my vocabulary