Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BEst professions for a shadowpriest

Hi,

I'd like your inputs for the best possible profession combo for a shadow priest. I read on EJ about eng being the best you can get, but what about the next one?

I was thinking about tailoring, but the cloak enchant is pretty stupid sometimes and proc when it shouldnt making it impossible to have an accurate dps boost when needed.

Thanks in advance.

Re: BEst professions for a shadowpriest

you would think that tailoring would be the best profession... I thought this at once.

I'm now JCing and Mining... and now that my alt is almost at max level, I plan to drop mining and level blacksmithing for the extra sockets I gain.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

From what I've read on shadowpriest.com, best professions for spriests are Engineering and JC.

You want JC for the sexy SP gems (which gives more SP than other profession-exclusive bonuses) and Engi for the sexy haste bonuses.

Tailoring is actually one of the lowest in terms of usefulness. The cloak buff is basically the only 'exclusive', as the pants buff can be given to you by someone else.

I'm not exactly following this as I spent a lot of time leveling my Enchanting/Tailoring. I'll be dropping Enchanting for Engi once I have enough money, but until the specifics of Reforging in Cata are confirmed (it may be that specific gear professions will only be able to reforge their specific gear; tailors can reforge cloth, LW can reforge leather, etc.) I'll be keeping Tailoring for the time being.

So here we are lovers of lost dimensions
    Itsuka hi no kaze ni noote haruka tooi
    Burning supernovas, of all sound and sight
    Hayaka no koto e
    Every touch, a temptation
    Itsuku sora hitotsu michimono hi Wataateyukeyu
    And for every sense, a sensation
    Hanateta koto e

Quote Originally Posted by minusxero
    From what I've read on shadowpriest.com, best professions for spriests are Engineering and JC.

You want JC for the sexy SP gems (which gives more SP than other profession-exclusive bonuses) and Engi for the sexy haste bonuses.

Tailoring is actually one of the lowest in terms of usefulness. The cloak buff is basically the only 'exclusive', as the pants buff can be given to you by someone else.

I'm not exactly following this as I spent a lot of time leveling my Enchanting/Tailoring. I'll be dropping Enchanting for Engi once I have enough money, but until the specifics of Reforging in Cata are confirmed (it may be that specific gear professions will only be able to reforge their specific gear; tailors can reforge cloth, LW can reforge leather, etc.) I'll be keeping Tailoring for the time being.
    agreed, i was a pubic hair shy of dropping tailoring for JC. but after i saw reforge in cata i decided not to waist 5k or so or the time i spent to get my patterns.

Tailoring is the absolute best DPS enchant for casters. It's been said over, and over. It's around 20% better than any other profession. Engineering is second if the encounter permits consistent timing for bombs, otherwise it's not on the list at all. JC is third and offers the best flexibility of any profession.

There is nothing worth giving up tailoring for in PVE as a Priest. It's the top DPS profession and the top healing profession. The EJ article is quite out of date, even as far as including a GCD that hasn't been correct for a year. It's no longer worth ~44 SP. It's now worth ~73.

Tailoring > Engineering > JC > BS = Enchanting = LW = Inscription = Alchemy

Others are close to useless in comparison.

Alchemy is almost even with Jewel Crafting

39-23 = 16

16x3 = 48 more spell power

If you're an Alchemist Flask of the Frost Wyrm gives 37 extra spell power so there is only an 11 spell power difference but you're also getting another 2 hours on your flask if you're an Alchemist.

48-37 = 11 spell power difference

Quote Originally Posted by muto
    Alchemy is almost even with Jewel Crafting

39-23 = 16

16x3 = 48 more spell power

If you're an Alchemist Flask of the Frost Wyrm gives 37 extra spell power so there is only an 11 spell power difference but you're also getting another 2 hours on your flask if you're an Alchemist.

48-37 = 11 spell power difference

In terms of a profession bonus 11 spell power is ALOT. Alchemy is pretty bad
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

Quote Originally Posted by Figoment
    In terms of a profession bonus 11 spell power is ALOT. Alchemy is pretty bad
    so you're telling me it's logical to spend 5k gold to pick up another profession over an 11 spell power difference? You must have money burning holes in your pockets.

Eng + Tailor

by far

Quote Originally Posted by muto
    so you're telling me it's logical to spend 5k gold to pick up another profession over an 11 spell power difference? You must have money burning holes in your pockets.
    If you already have alchemy then no. If you are lvling a new char with no profs currently don't lvl alchemy.

Edit- I just noticed you were wrong. Alchemy is 47 not 37 SP so it's 1 behind not 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

Quote Originally Posted by Figoment
    If you already have alchemy then no. If you are lvling a new char with no profs currently don't lvl alchemy.

Edit- I just noticed you were wrong. Alchemy is 47 not 37 SP so it's 1 behind not 11.
    ahhh i just googled it as i couldn't log into the game to see since the servers are down i just clicked on the 1st link on saw, thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Tailoring is the absolute best DPS enchant for casters. It's been said over, and over. It's around 20% better than any other profession. Engineering is second if the encounter permits consistent timing for bombs, otherwise it's not on the list at all. JC is third and offers the best flexibility of any profession.

There is nothing worth giving up tailoring for in PVE as a Priest. It's the top DPS profession and the top healing profession. The EJ article is quite out of date, even as far as including a GCD that hasn't been correct for a year. It's no longer worth ~44 SP. It's now worth ~73.

I'm glad you brought this up. I noticed that section on EJ that put Tailoring at the bottom of the list and I was confused. I think the Tailoring Enchant is great and definitely a worthy investment.

Simple answer.

Any combination that adds two of the listed three professions.

Engineering
    Tailoring
    Jewelcrafting

Engineering will depend on how you like the extra fun gadgets. Bank in Dalarn, portable bank, repair kits, reagants, mail box... Yeah. Engineering gives a lot of perks inside and outside of a raid but it falls a little behind tailoring, I guess from what people say.

Depends on the situation when lightweave procs.

Engineering = 27 pp + around 27/29 = 54/56

JC = 48 pp

Tailoring ( cant remember duration but will say 10) around 40 pp

JC/Eng =]

Alchemy isn't useful outside of gold making/saving as it doesnt stack

Alchemy = 46 Spellpower and two hour flasks
    JC = 48 Spellpower
    BS = 46 Spellpower
    Insciption = 46 Spellpower
    LW = 46 Spellpower

Basically any of the above professions teamed up with Engineering is the best combo for any caster really.

Saying this simply having any two of the above is what any decent raiding shadowpriest should have, mining/herbalism/skinning are jokes in terms of DPS gain and you should not get them if you plan to raid.

Personally i roll with Enchanting and Alchemy (2hour flasks )

no idea where u got this load of crap from but ut wrong, with the haste buff in 3.3 Engineering is way on top due to glove enchant, nitro boosts, and cloak enchant. Normally Tailoring would rate higher than JC/Inscr/LW/alch etc.. but if u have engineering AND tailoring, u dont get the 27 sp from the engineering cloak enchant, and because of that, Engineering + JC/Inscr would be the best combination of proffessions

Engineering cloak enchant: 27 SP vs 20 haste - EP gain ~7.
    Engineering glove enchant: 68 haste vs 28 SP - EP gain ~40.

Net gain: 47. Bombs make up the gap and push it up higher.

Tailoring cloak enchant: ~73.75 SP vs 20 haste - EP gain ~53.75.

So no, unless you make very good use of bombs, Tailoring wins. With good use of Bombs Tailoring + Engineering beats other professions, without good use of bombs JC+Tailoring wins.

And no... JC is well under Tailoring and Engineering and Incription is under JC. It's tied with the other +46 professions.

engineering
    tailoring
    jewelcrafting
    alchemy

in that order
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

for any DoT class - afflic locks / spriests

the tailoring enchant can proc of any dot tick.. i find it has a very high up time for me atleast

Engineering cloak enchant: 27 SP vs 20 haste - EP gain ~7.
    Engineering glove enchant: 68 haste vs 28 SP - EP gain ~40.

Net gain: 47. Bombs make up the gap and push it up higher.

Tailoring cloak enchant: ~73.75 SP vs 20 haste - EP gain ~53.75.

So no, unless you make very good use of bombs, Tailoring wins. With good use of Bombs Tailoring + Engineering beats other professions, without good use of bombs JC+Tailoring wins.

And no... JC is well under Tailoring and Engineering and Incription is under JC. It's tied with the other +46 professions.
    You're missing the Engi boots enchant. Other than that, it had been a few weeks since I checked shadowpriest.com (I included EJ in my previous post as I was under the impression that they basically just use sp.com information. I don't actually go there), and I see now that the discussion is still up in the air.

In the end I'll take Engi of JC though, just to be able to have what basically amounts to Berserking every minute. That I changed from Undead to Troll a few days before 3.3 should show what I would do for Berserking every few minutes. Consistent haste buffs are win. And if the Tailoring cloak proc'd while I popped my racial Berserking and glove haste during Bloodlust, I'd jizz in my pants on the ground while I'm on a boat in the mountains.

So looks like Engi+Tailoring for me. Now to save up enough money to drop Enchanting and power level Engi to mad craziness.

So here we are lovers of lost dimensions
    Itsuka hi no kaze ni noote haruka tooi
    Burning supernovas, of all sound and sight
    Hayaka no koto e
    Every touch, a temptation
    Itsuku sora hitotsu michimono hi Wataateyukeyu
    And for every sense, a sensation
    Hanateta koto e