Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Death of an Aspect

I have read a lot of lore but one thing has been confused. With the death of Malygos the Nexus war is over and an aspect is dead. What does this mean in terms of lore? Does this affect spell casters or more specifically mages? At the same time assuming we will kill Deathwing what will this mean in terms of lore? Also what would the death of Ysera, Nozdormu, and even Alexstrasza mean?

The significance of Arthas' death means the scourge is no longer attempting to further their plague, they are just holding on to the ground they have no nothing more (thanks to Bolvar).

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Death of an Aspect

Aspects are guardians.

If an aspect dies then the thing they guarded is now unbound.

Basically there wont be anybody to save us from ourselves or help us out the day the arcane go haywire for any reason, this goes for anything bound by an aspect.

I might also add now that Malygos has died the blue flight will inevitably wither and die with him.

Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted

The death of an Aspect doesn't mean everything under their command collapses (some still seem to believe that). In the case of Malygos, it's actually more probable that the powers of the magi were amplified. There is nothing holding the energies back anymore, so they get their full potential.

The Aspects aren't really the embodiment of their area of influence, but the guardians.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis
    Aspects are guardians.

If an aspect dies then the thing they guarded is now unbound.

Basically there wont be anybody to save us from ourselves or help us out the day the arcane go haywire for any reason.

This sounds about right, funny though that Malygos in his mind was protecting us from the arcane gone haywire :-\

more than likely blizzard will just end up making another dragon from the blue dragon flight the new aspect. simple enough provided they dont want to use the concept you put forth, about magic possibly going haywire.
    a small man carrying a large stick still dies to a shotgun in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia
    This sounds about right, funny though that Malygos in his mind was protecting us from the arcane gone haywire :-\
    malygos goes crazy thats why he has to die cuze he wanted to kill all humans...

in books, Krasus hides malygos' eggs so that does not mean the blues are dead... read the War of the Acients...

15+ Year Old Account

I might also add now that Malygos has died the blue flight will inevitably wither and die with him.

What?

Kalecgos is at Wyrmrest now, prepared to take on any and all responsibilities for his flight. Obviously it's not the same, as the Titans themselves empowered the aspects, but it shows remarkable progress and a will to move on and learn from Malygos.

They aren't vampires. Just because their "head dragon" dies doesn't mean they all die or go back to normal.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by coligeal
    malygos goes crazy thats why he has to die cuze he wanted to kill all humans...
    Malygos was far more sane during the Nexus War than he had been for millenia. He did however choose the wrong path of making sure magic remains contained. :-\

So then what would the death's of other Aspects mean?

Norzdormu - We could no longer rely on the bronze dragons to save us from the infinite dragons?
    Ysera - The Emerald Dream would no longer be protected?
    Deathwing - ???
    Alexstrasza - ???

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    In the case of Malygos, it's actually more probable that the powers of the magi were amplified. There is nothing holding the energies back anymore, so they get their full potential.
    Which can clearly be seen in the ridiculous dps improvement of Arcane Mages since Malygos died. The buffs to that spec were totally lore driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    Malygos was far more sane during the Nexus War than he had been for millenia. He did however choose the wrong path of making sure magic remains contained. :-\
    my bad, yes he wants to kill humans because he does not want them to weild arcane... he feels that they are not to be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript
    Which can clearly be seen in the ridiculous dps improvement of Arcane Mages since Malygos died. The buffs to that spec were totally lore driven.
    Win ^^

Can we go back and unkill Malygos please?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by conscript
    You have just won a cookie in Lokann's Daily LOL Competition.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by coligeal
    my bad, yes he wants to kill humans because he does not want them to weild arcane... he feels that they are not to be trusted.
    He was right. The use of magic was extremely unwieldy, and considering his job was to make sure mortals used it wisely, he was fine.

BUT, his methods were way too extreme. He was ripping apart the world, doing the exact same thing he was trying to prevent.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac
    They aren't vampires. Just because their "head dragon" dies doesn't mean they all die or go back to normal.
    The aspect of a flight is like it's Sun, destroy it and you can still get heat and light from other sources, you can survive but you're lesser for it and eventually you will die, alone in the dark.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

I'm somewhat curious to see if the Aspect thing is kind of a "Mantle of Power", like the Guardian's power and will be passed to another Blue. Kalecgos had that big "I'm a really bad ass dragon" look about him during the Quel'delar quest that Alexstrasza and her Prime Consort have. It may mean nothing of course, but it makes sense that a dead aspect can be replaced.

15+ Year Old Account

The aspect of a flight is like it's Sun, destroy it and you can still get heat and light from other sources, you can survive but you're lesser for it and eventually you will die, alone in the dark.
    Is this speculation, or do you have an actual source?

I'm curious, not trying to drag your argument down.

Kalecgos seems to be doing just fine. Plus, Alexstrasza sends us in there to kill him, and she's not dumb. She knows the implications. I'm sure if it meant the eventually annihilation of the Blues, she would've went another route.

The only problem I can see is that Malygos + a consort won't be able to create any more eggs. But does that mean the rest of the dragons can't reproduce? It's strange.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac
    Is this speculation, or do you have an actual source?

I'm curious, not trying to drag your argument down.

Kalecgos seems to be doing just fine.
    Like I said, Malygos isn't the sole creature of power of the arcane but he was THE only guardian and you don't become guardian like you become president. To become a guardian you had to be there at the beginning of Azeroth when the Titans entrusted various elements of power to them. Now Malygos is dead the blue flight has no power, it has no importance, it has only a memory and memories fade in time.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted

Like I said, Malygos isn't the sole creature of power of the arcane but he was THE only guardian and you don't become guardian like you become president. To become a guardian you had to be there at the beginning of Azeroth when the Titans entrusted various elements of power to them. Now Malygos is dead the blue flight has no power, it has no importance, it has only a memory and memories fade in time.
    I wouldn't count on that.

I don't really buy it that the Aspect is some sort of lens through which the others gain their powers. And I may have proof of the otherwise, in fact.

Vaelastrasz for example kept his powers when he was corrupted. His link with Alexstrasza was at least obscured if not competely severed.

The same could be said about Kalecgos in the Sunwell Plateau.