Talent Question, what say you?

It seems to be that PoH has started to become a back burner type spell, we're now pretty much bread and butter spamming Renew, PoM, and CoH with a few flash heals from SoL procs and filler in between cooldowns.

So, that being said I propose this talent build:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bqcbu...b0qihh0uAo:0Nf

This build sacrifices the old cookie cutter points from Healing Prayers and Serendipity, to put 1 into Desperate Prayer which is great for extra survivability, 1 into Unbreakable Will which is basically just the best filler point I could come up with in the disc tree, and lastly the 3 points into Mental Agility.

The bonus of specializing in this build over the old is we gain a bit more survivability and we gain even more mana reduction on the spells we use the most.

You might say, hey wait a minute... You're taking 10% mana reduction away from PoM which is used on every cooldown. Well, this is really the source of my question... Are we not in fact gaining way more from the 10% reduction on Renew and CoH and SoL-FH's that it makes up for the 10% lost on PoM?

What say you?

Re: Talent Question, what say you?

You're trying to fix a problem that only existed in Naxx. That's when the 18/53 builds worked well. You're going into Disc with 5 points to get 10% less mana on instants. Spending 2 points would have reduced the cost of PoM by 10% anyway, so the only mana cost reduction is on Renew. However, you're also missing the 10% on PoH, which is a huge mana-hog. You're trading a chunk of throughput for some mana regen, but Priest's main problem right now is throughput. Lowering it more in exchange for marginal mana returns is counterproductive.

Well, the entire point of the talent spec would be to NOT use PoH, instead using CoH and Renew to top off the raid after an aoe burst. The point of the Mental Agility is to make these 3 spells we use the most to be even more efficient.

Limiting your spellbook isn't going to help you play better unless there is a clear advantage in doing so. Removing a high output AOE spell is not going to make you better at bringing up a raid quickly, it will reduce it. That's what I was getting it, you're reducing how much healing you can put out in exchange for a tiny amount of regen. You'll be standing in a raid next to another Priest who will be using CoH and Renew just as well as you, but also has a hasted PoH waiting in the wings in case they need it.

15+ Year Old Account

there is an entire thread on talent discussion, please use it. dont think you're special and deserve your own thread
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Sorry, I guess I missed that post.

As for the PoH thing, isn't it all too often that 2 people or even 3 people in a group that you're about to PoH get topped off before it even lands? I'm assuming you and the other priest pop CoH right off the bat for the most effective healing. Isn't it more efficient to just renew the two or three remaining people to top them off?

You need to practice timing and targeting if that's the case. If incoming DPS is low enough that you can skirt by with what you're describing then you most likely have mana to spare and the mana regen gain is meaningless.

Any decision to sacrafice throughput for regen is a poor decision... mana pools are that large and regen is so high that regen has become somewhat redundant. Factored into that is the fact that bosses hit so hard and so fast that the name of the game as a healer is to be able to get your heals out as large and numerous as you can.

To that end I don't see how your talent strategy gives you an advantage in the current context of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    there is an entire thread on talent discussion, please use it. dont think you're special and deserve your own thread
    This. Thread is now locked.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~