Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Political Intrigue Stories in/after Cataclysm?

That would be plausible if/when A) Dark Rangers became a hero class (I'm hoping for something else), and B) some other compelling character were there to step in as leader of the Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash
    That would be plausible if/when A) Dark Rangers became a hero class (I'm hoping for something else), and B) some other compelling character were there to step in as leader of the Forsaken.
    On the off chance this happens, I suppose she would appoint the banshee who's always by her side as the temporary leader while she handles what needs handling.
    This line will not change of my own volition until Knaak stops screwing Warcraft Lore to write more bad fanfics.

Thanks Amuno!

Well if she was powerful enough to fend Arthas off on several occasions I am sure she has the power to give people similar abilities to her own, like the other Dark Rangers we see everywhere. It could be the foreshadowing to adding a new class.

The who with the where now?

Yeah, Varian does say "Honor your king and your people" to all the Alliance faction champs in TotC before we decimate 'em. Oddly, though, they aren't all human, so he's flat out wrong. I'd love to see the look on Tyrande's face if in her presence Varian implied he was sovereign over the nation/states that make up the Alliance. The Warchief of the Horde is set up very much as a political sovereign over the entirety of the Horde, but there's nothing other than Varian's occasional gasbagging that suggests he is politically sovereign over anything outside Stormwind's immediate reach.

That would be a perfect example of a political intrigue subplot -- have the Horde embroiled in possible open insurrection over Garrosh's ascent to Warchief, and the Alliance disintegrating politically over disagreement with the course Varian has set them all on. This is not exclusive of the open war environment of "Cataclysm"; in the War of 1812 states in New England were openly discussing returning to British rule. It would be nice to see a sense that Garrosh and Varian's get-a-room-already war is actually weakening both of them politically in the long term. Coming out of the expansion, nominal control of the two factions could end up moving out of both Orgrimmar and Stormwind, respectively.
    Stormwind leads the Alliance for the same reason the USA leads any military alliance its part of.

quite simply its the dominant economic and military power by a long, long way.

its also quite funny to see people think Varians military leadership would bother other racial leaders like Tyrande or Velen and they would not be in favor of War with the Horde.

Tyrande especially.

the Alliance is primarily a military alliance and Varian is its military commander (or CINC) and like all military structures there has to be only one and he undoubtedly holds the backing on the other leaders in that position. besides which the NElfs have been at war with the Horde since patch 1.5 (WSG) and are probably glad Stormwind is finally going to throw the full might of the Alliance into the fight after waiting 4 years for their allys to act to counter Horde aggression and a blatant invasion of their territory.

if i was was Tyrande (and knowing what she is actually like) i would be pissed off war hadn't been declared well before now.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

I'd assume they'd return to Quel'thalas with the rest of their people.
    HElfs, especially those who were in Outland, generally think what KT and his followers did was an abomination. Taking in Fel energy to sate a lust for arcane energy changed the BElfs. In addition, many HElfs don't agree with the decision to join the Horde....which, after all, is the same Horde which ravaged Quel'Thalas, Eversong and Dalaran and which killed of much of their people.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Talen
    HElfs, especially those who were in Outland, generally think what KT and his followers did was an abomination. Taking in Fel energy to sate a lust for arcane energy changed the BElfs. In addition, many HElfs don't agree with the decision to join the Horde....which, after all, is the same Horde which ravaged Quel'Thalas, Eversong and Dalaran and which killed of much of their people.

EJL
    Actually just to be nit-picky it isnt the same Horde its the New Horde that the blood elves are a part of. Probably alot of the same Orcs etc, but the New Horde certainly has pretty vastly different long term goals. It certainly makes for an awkward alliance though. It is shown through the game to indeed be sort of an odd agreement between the two groups.

Deleted

Jaina is a member of the New Council of Tirisfal (created to fight the Old Gods), which Theramore became the base. Varian can't touch Jaina even if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen

EJL
    Better than joining the Alliance that made them go on suicide runs because their commander was a racist bigot. Also, one could say that the Helfs are traitors for not joining their prince and authority figures.

Death Rangers, >.< I highly doubt they will ever be an available class in game but if so, =P I would love it to be Melee/Range class.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ruks
    Actually just to be nit-picky it isnt the same Horde its the New Horde that the blood elves are a part of. Probably alot of the same Orcs etc, but the New Horde certainly has pretty vastly different long term goals.
    Different?

The old Horde wanted to conquer the world. The new Horde under Garrosh is moving in the same direction.

When you get down to it, there's not that much difference shown between the old Horde and the new Horde. We see the old Horde first hand and pre corruption in the novels.

EJL

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuou
    Better than joining the Alliance that made them go on suicide runs because their commander was a racist bigot. Also, one could say that the Helfs are traitors for not joining their prince and authority figures.
    Unfortuanetly, there is a limit to how far this argument can be taken.

Garithos does indeed appear to be a racist and a bigot. That's about as far as we can take it. We don't have enough information to determine one way or the other if his orders were or were not the right ones to issue.

KT certainly took issue with them. But when you get down to it, his mauin problems was that Garithos was sidelining him. In case you missed it, Garithos force incldued HElfs. Dwarves and other races. His holding off the Scourge for so long, even defeating them speaks for his military capability. And it appears he would have arrived in time to save KT even without the Nagas help.

EJL