Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Been hacked and ended up better off?

Once upon a time I got hacked.

I rerolled from my hunter horde side to my alliance death knight shortly after it dinged 80. On my hunter on horde side I had about 7000 gold - 4000 golds worth of materials and a full darkmoon card at its high peak of worth - so around 9.5 k gold. I decided the best way to all this gold and all these items over to my death knight was to mail all this to my shaman on the same server as my hunter and then transfer my shaman to the same server as my death knight and basically just neutral AH trade it all over. and so I did that and 2 weeks later my hunters account was ripped for what was left which was basically nothing besides some 70 raiding gear I was wearing. So I filed a report on the hack and they rolled my hunter 2-3 weeks back prio to sending all the stuff to shaman that I transfered off the server.

so I ended up getting with an extra 7000 gold - 4000 gold worth of enchanting mats and a darkmoon card.

Good game blizzard. Good game.

Back in BC i got hacked from a wireless connection on a laptop, and a couple days later my cousin calls me and tells me im logged in when i was out of town. The moron sold off all my gear from 2 70's, left my bank toon alone (which had about 10k on it), and promptly transferred my character to a different server after amassing about 5k gold. Bliz took 2 days to recover my stuff, gems and all intact, and refunded my original amount of gold on all the characters, leaving me with the extra 5k the guy made with all my stuff. Payed for my epic flight on my next 70 so i didnt complain :-)

so.. i just got an email from blizzard... appearantly, me changing my email after being hacked to prevent further intrusions - EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ADVISED I DO SO BY THEM - has sent up a red flag, and now they are threatening me with a ban and saying I sold/traded my account... WTFH!!!!!!!! this has been a horrible week IRL with my job.. now my "me" time has become one in the same it would seem.

Again from my past experiences I have also received a lot more then what was owed to me when I was hacked, I have also been screwed over like no other. During BC I had my account hacked while I was moving cross country, when I got there I waited a while before "reactivating" my account because money was tight. 2 months later I tried to log in and found I did not have access to my account. When I finally got my account back blizzard said they could not know what was mine and what was not. So for compensation they gave me 1,000 gold and said "sorry"....that was for 3 70's in T6.

Another incident I was hacked and lost my everything including my alt bank with ~25,000g worth of mats in it. I got everything back plus the money that was made from everything and 10 sunmotes. This was about a month after Sunwell was released.

Keylogged* Not hacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by WyriHaximus
    We are battling big ass dragons, huge fire elementals, gone mad paladins and you worry about something small like this?

Makes me want to take my authenticator off and seed my account info to gold seller sites.

This obviously won't backfire at all.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

In BC my lock got hacked, when i got her back after a few months, i had full t5, epic flying, and full season 2, while before she had crafted epics and some blues.

so.. i just got an email from blizzard... appearantly, me changing my email after being hacked to prevent further intrusions - EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ADVISED I DO SO BY THEM - has sent up a red flag, and now they are threatening me with a ban and saying I sold/traded my account... WTFH!!!!!!!! this has been a horrible week IRL with my job.. now my "me" time has become one in the same it would seem.
    possible automatic response. also, theres many people that watch different things on your accounts and they may not all be talking with one another. so the dude that pushed out the email regarding an account ban may not have seen information regarding a recent account compromise. this is why its best to sit the 15-45 min it takes on hold to talk to someone and do it all in one shot.

Yup, a friend of mine 16h everyday raider with like 6 alts got hacked and he stopped playing wow.

sadly he picked up codmw2 so its not exactly better off, but still ... actually he is on his way to prestige 8 or 9 some people would qualify that as worse, nvm -_-

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher
    possible automatic response. also, theres many people that watch different things on your accounts and they may not all be talking with one another. so the dude that pushed out the email regarding an account ban may not have seen information regarding a recent account compromise. this is why its best to sit the 15-45 min it takes on hold to talk to someone and do it all in one shot.
    He had me fooled at the start, but this made it obvious. Blizzard doesn't send you "Dude we gonna close yo account LOL" emails.

TL;DR: Blizzard doesn't send emails telling you they're watching your account activities and will ban you.

A buddy of mine i used to raid with back in BC was hacked, and it happened right when he was getting ready to take a 3 week break from wow. He came back, had his epic flyer, 37k gold and a bunch of BoE epics. Back then, if you had 37k gold you were pretty much a god ;D. I cant complain though, because thats the only way I was able to use my season 2 drake. He gave me the money to get my epic flying skill

I was hacked in TBC and gained BoE items for about 1k G on was 1-2k G richer when I got it back, not that big of a deal really.

a mate was keylogged a few months ago. couple weeks after he got everything back he noticed a lvl 1 char on a french realm. he checked it out and there was a gbank with 3 tabs full of saronite ore, eternal earth/shadow and few stacks of titanium ore along with 8k gold and the odd rare gem.

he ticketed gm about it and then, well, the gm deleted it all and said thanks for being honest :P

Quote Originally Posted by shogo238
    I've gotten a lot of e-mails like that and they're all attempts to scam you, which would seem even more likely if you've been recently keylogged. I'd ignore it or go through the warcraft site (don't click a link, type it in yourself) and talk to customer service about it.

To solve your mystery, Blizzard doesn't check mailbox. So if he had gotten items from mailbox, then that's why. I know this because back when Wrath came out there was a nice little bug for hordies with that one tracking quest which I, er, took advantage of and got a three day suspension, only to find out on my bank toon that all the items I had sent him (well over 200 greens, cloth, among other shit) was still there. So that solves that.

Oh and btw, I still don't know how you people end up getting hacked. Been playing since vanilla and never have been hacked once just banned a few times lol =P

That my friend is a phish email. If you responded to it with your information / went to a website and put your information in, kiss your account goodbye.

I quit for a while and wanted to come back and found out I couldn't get into my account, apparently it was hacked, not sure.

Very glad it was hacked and I decided I wasn't going to start everything over.

Just waiting for SC2 atm.

for the record, it was from @blizzard.com mail. then again.. other than the donotreply@blizzard.com mails i recieved before confirming changes to my battle.net account, the other emails all say blizzard entertainment in the "from" section...

hrmm

thanks guys, for making my doubt myself and take a 2nd look. saved me possible trouble down the road.

just as a fail safe, i'll give them a call tommorow and see wtf is up with this whole crazy business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19
    Worst troll this month
    Your account is as safe as you make it.
    Fail harder.

Similar story.
    I was hacked during a huge wave of hacking one or two years ago. I'm pretty sure it came from the server, since I share my computer with my wife (separate account) and she wasn't hacked.
    I quickly noticed it, like a few hours after the hack, and he was moving stuff around my characters. Took almost 8 weeks to get the account back (I guess because there were so many GMs got overwhelmed), almost all the BoE items (primals, ore, leather, BoE blues & epics from the guild bank, etc...) were duplicated. Even a grey vendor trash item.
    GM told me to keep it.

for the record, it was from @blizzard.com mail. then again.. other than the donotreply@blizzard.com mails i recieved before confirming changes to my battle.net account, the other emails all say blizzard entertainment in the "from" section...

hrmm

thanks guys, for making my doubt myself and take a 2nd look. saved me possible trouble down the road.

just as a fail safe, i'll give them a call tommorow and see wtf is up with this whole crazy business.
    Did you seriously give your account name/password because of an e-mail? How many warnings against this kind of stuff does blizzard need to make?

Not trying to be rude, but these kinds of fake e-mails would stop if they didn't actually work....