Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Improved Devotion Aura

I've been thinking about removing imp devo for a few reasons. My first reasoning is that as we gain more and more armor the extra armor imp devo would contribute less and less to total physical mitigation. Right? My second reasoning is based on whether we need the 6% extra healing. We don't pick up divinity because all it does is contribute to over heal, and is a poor investment of talents, of course imp devo does give us a lot more for our points.
    I know I could easily get away with doing this in a heroic tanking build, but I am wondering about the overall viability for use as a raid tanking build.
    This started because I want DS/DG AND reckoning 3/5.

Thought, ideas, math and flames are welcome.

Re: Improved Devotion Aura

Where do you want to put the points otherwise? Do you need even more threat through the ret tree?
    And more armor is more armor.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

you arent going to armor cap. it just isnt going to happen. And you don't, or shouldnt, need more threat. So my question is, why?
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    you arent going to armor cap. it just isnt going to happen. And you don't, or shouldnt, need more threat. So my question is, why?
    Boredom mostly.

if you're bored and want to try something crazy, go for it

you could always drop some ret talents to pick up everything you want in prot

...not that i think any of this is a good idea for serious raiding

Quote Originally Posted by Aedh
    Boredom mostly.
    i fail to see how "bordom" is an acceptable answer to nerfing healing on the entire raid by 6%.
    Pondering returning.

i fail to see how "bordom" is an acceptable answer to nerfing healing on the entire raid by 6%.
    Take a Resto Druid.
    Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPistachio View Post
    Bornakk lifts the cup of coffee up to his mouth...
    ...when the Scythe of Elune comes crashing through it.
    ???: I can't you let you brew that, Starbucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thyce
    Take a Resto Druid.
    Problem solved.
    Or a prot subspec holy pally.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyce
    Take a Resto Druid.
    Problem solved.
    true enough to that, but we can go another way. Why nerf one of your highet eh talents? as i said, you arent going to armor cap. a war getting that buff isnt going to armor cap. I'm pretty sure dk and druids arent either. And you shouldnt need more threat out of sotp or reckoning.
    Pondering returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot
    Or a prot subspec holy pally.
    there are better options in the holy tree for a holy paladin, who generaly wont have devo on, they will have a resistance aura on or conc.
    Pondering returning.

I've been thinking about removing imp devo for a few reasons. My first reasoning is that as we gain more and more armor the extra armor imp devo would contribute less and less to total physical mitigation. Right? My second reasoning is based on whether we need the 6% extra healing. We don't pick up divinity because all it does is contribute to over heal, and is a poor investment of talents, of course imp devo does give us a lot more for our points.
    I know I could easily get away with doing this in a heroic tanking build, but I am wondering about the overall viability for use as a raid tanking build.
    This started because I want DS/DG AND reckoning 3/5.

Thought, ideas, math and flames are welcome.
    No, just Wrong! Armor is never "less worth the more you have" until the cap, it´s always as good as
    the previous armor you added, if you wanna loose some armor you are a nutter, or need to read
    up on how DR on armor works and why it´s there.

Yes it does add less and less in % on char sheet the closer you get to cap, if it didn´t armor
    would just get better and better the more you had (say 1000k armour at 50% phys reduction would
    be worth 2 times as much at 75% phys red (cap).
    Each % added in reduction does more to your survivability than the previous %, and the next % adds even more than the % you just got. (yes, i simplified, using 0.01% steps felt less visual)
    that´s why it gets harder and harder to add the percentages the more armor you have, since they get better
    and better.

Going from 70% to 75% physical reduction lowers your incoming damage by 16.67%, not 5%.

umm think about this.

Just like the swift ret aura, it purely means any aura you have up will give the healing, so even if you have fire resist up, im pretty sure the whole raid still benefits from the extra healing bonus.

Can someone tell me if this and the resto druid aura stack, or is it like the moonkin/ret auras which dont stack.

there are better options in the holy tree for a holy paladin, who generaly wont have devo on, they will have a resistance aura on or conc.
    all secondary effects given by talents to auras apply in all auras
    you can run crusader and still get the 6% healing

Quote Originally Posted by assilley

Can someone tell me if this and the resto druid aura stack, or is it like the moonkin/ret auras which dont stack.
    Tree and imp devo don't stack.

Quote Originally Posted by assilley
    Nope, they dont stack

Ive had a look of recent at quite a few different builds and played alot around with it but I cant find anything worth replacing Imp.Dev Aura... I honestly cant find a use.

I mean your options to get up Sacred Duty and 1H Weap Spec are limited in use as it is....
    1. Divinity : Useless overhealing
    2. Stoicism : Meh
    3. Imp.Hammer + 1 Point : Fair enough Imp.Hammer isnt bad for interrupts or pinning Blood Beasts on Saurfang
    4. Reckoning : Really isnt worth the points wasted in it

So really it leaves you with a nice 3 point fill talent that is Imp.Dev, yes it doesnt scale as well with the more and more armor we are recieving but hey at least its half way useful.

-Aes

As said before, more armor is more armor, so you wanna take Imp Devo for the extra armor if you dont have another prot pally or a 51/20 holy pally. If you do, and they will always be there, then spec for something else. Recently in my guild been trying to get the pallies to co-ordinate talents to be 51/20 54/17 and 51/2/18 so we don't have 5 imp devos and a tree of life form in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus
    all secondary effects given by talents to auras apply in all auras
    you can run crusader and still get the 6% healing
    You missed the point in my most. Holys run say shadow resist or fire resist for aura mastery. Aura mastery for dev aura is pretty much shit.
    Pondering returning.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

My second reasoning is based on whether we need the 6% extra healing. We don't pick up divinity because all it does is contribute to over heal
    One of the reasons we don't take Divinity is because we already have the 6% from Improved Devotion Aura. For a heroic tanking build it would be fine, but I wouldn't skip it for raiding unless you can guarantee you'll get the same effect from somebody else at all times. Even then, it's generally a good idea to bring your own buffs, because you can guarantee they'll always be there.

Kind of a radical move. If you feel comfortable with it go for it though.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US