Deleted

[Balance DPS] Wrath to lunar eclipse

Hi guys, just wondering how other balance druids handle the Wrath > Lunar part of our rotation.

I'm referring to the fact that [Nature's Grace] pops up when wrath leaves you, and lunar then has a 60% chance to proc off that. Do you start casting your first starfire at that point and hope for the best? or do you cast a couple more wraths to make sure you don't get shafted by RNG (You're a moonkin, after all)

If you go for the pre-casting Starfire option, what do you do if it then doesn't proc? Do you go back to spamming wrath again? Twist casts? Cry in a corner?

Also, instead of making a new thread, I'm wondering about the value of Nevermelting Ice Crystal. I was looking last night, and it seems to steal a charge for my moonfire crits. Obviously this isn't good but is it still valuable?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Re: [Balance DPS] Wrath to lunar eclipse

Im focusing my eyes on the head of my moonkin, you see the buff there before you get a Eclipse message. Usaly I get one wrath overlapse. No biggie

Agree with the poster above me. Just watch out for the big blue circle above your head OR (even better) wait for the Sqwawk and Awe eclipse bar to slap itself in the middle of your screen and then change.

I personally only use SAA for the eclipse bar (to remind myself which cycle I am on) and so it is pretty prominent when it pops up.

Yupp, Sqwawk and Awe is a must-have for all moonkin druids While you spam that wrath, just focus on the sqwawk-and-awe bars and as soon as you see the lunar eclipse bar pop up - finish your current wrath spell and immediately go for starfire.

If you are serious about your cycle than you need SAA its the only way to go, fights are very hectic on their own i think its ok to simplify them where we can. Plus every second counts when its in regards to our eclipse procs.
    Never forget that Justice is what love looks like in public.

Deleted

I really don't go for clairvoyance. Our damage hinges on being inside eclipse as much as possible. If you get NG, but doesn't proc lunar eclipse, and have already started a starfire, then you lose damage in the form of taking longer to proc eclipse. If you proc eclipse and do another wrath, its no biggie compared to starting to cast starfire without eclipse and then having to go back to wrath. Lets assume that it will take you four wraths to proc lunar eclipse: Let me draw it out:

00:01 Wrath
    00:02 Wrath (NG)
    00:04 Starfire (Oh nooo! No eclipse!)
    00:05 Wrath
    00:06 Wrath (NG, eclipse)
    00:08 Starfire

Everytime you refresh NG, you will try for a starfire.

00:01 Wrath
    00:02 Wrath (NG)
    00:03 Wrath
    00:04 Wrath (NG, eclipse proc)
    00:05 Wrath (extra)
    00:07 Starfire

You react to proccing lunar eclipse, but will do another wrath because the cast was already started.

In this case, you save a second. It might not seem very significant, but you make take longer to proc lunar eclipse. Just go for the safe way, and finish your cast

Deleted

There is one situation where it can actually be usefull to do this, when both Eclipses are off cooldown. Even if wrath didn't proc Eclipse, your starfire might proc solar and since you are going back to spam wrath you won't have the added SF you'd have in a normal transition.
    Basically, that's the only situation in which losing the initial gamble still might result in a winning scenario.

Deleted

Hmm - i wonder if that could be a valid way to open your rotation. Put up dots, and then rotate wrath/starfire until one of them procs eclipse, and then you would be casting the other one. I can see how this would work in theory, but would it have any major impact in practice?

15+ Year Old Account

You would not want to randomly switch after each cast because casting a non-NG starfire is a killer, but it is acceptable to switch from wrath to a Starfire once you see a NG proc, at worst it doesn't proc and you extend your MF, best case is Eclipse does proc and you get in an extra SF or two.

If both are off cooldown, I take 2 wraths, and if NG has procced on either I switch and do a starfire and get lunar more than half the time, and if not I return to wraths again. Also, with under 1sek cast on wrath it usually takes 2 additional casts before the procc actually shows...

Other than that, when trying to procc lunar with solar on cd I sometimes change to starfire if I get 3 crits in a row, as all 3 then has 60% change of proccing making the probability worth it tbh... but usually I wait untill the actual procc.

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    Hmm - i wonder if that could be a valid way to open your rotation. Put up dots, and then rotate wrath/starfire until one of them procs eclipse, and then you would be casting the other one. I can see how this would work in theory, but would it have any major impact in practice?
    I usually do my opening rotation like this. I start spamming wrath, and when NG proccs I do one additional wrath (more or less precasted, depending on latency) and the a (still NG-shortened) Starfire. If lunar didn't proc off one of these 2 wraths, I start the cycle again.
    The point is, I don't care which eclipse proccs first, but I want to avoid casting un-NG-ed Starfires.
    However, I can't really tell if it helps dps. But it does seem to be of more convenience, since if I'm unlucky with lunar, then solar usually proccs pretty fast off SF.

seeing as how procs come pretty fast now that my crit is so high i usually open by rotatating wrath/starfire/wrath/starfire
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/rchmarkert_2007/Signatures/cpt.jpg

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cpttrips
    seeing as how procs come pretty fast now that my crit is so high i usually open by rotatating wrath/starfire/wrath/starfire
    Yeah that's bad. See what they said above about non-NG Starfire.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

You talk about non-ng'd starfires. thing is even when twisting as you see NG procc from Wrath you will have something looking like this:

wrath
    wrath NG

wrath (precasted cuz u don't have that sick reflexes..)
    starfire

Both that wrath and the eclipse will be within the NGbuff, and with a crit% of roughly 64-65% you can pretty much count on critting one of those 2.. so even without proccing lunar you will then go back to casting wraths, if either the precasted wrath OR the starfire crits u will still be within NG for the wrath being cast after starfire (if u didn't enter lunar).

So from what I see you have no valid argument about not twisting, especially if you have neither of the eclipses on cd.

within NG starfire is below 2s and wrath is below 1s if u don't have shitgear, ng stays 2 = 2 spells benefits from it, no matter which ones.

HUGS AND KISSES M8YS

15+ Year Old Account

Obviously you do not know what "twisting" means.

Wrath
    Starfire
    Wrath
    Starfire

Above is twisting, where regardless of the outcome of the previous spell you switch to the other nuke in hopes that the previous spell prcd an eclipse.

Casting wrath and then seeing a NG proc and casting SF is not twisting, it is not the normal rotation, but it is acceptable because worst case is you cast a NG starfire and best case is you get an extra SF or 2 in during a lunar eclipse.

The latter is acceptable, the former (where you are casting non-NG starfires) is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre
    Yeah that's bad. See what they said above about non-NG Starfire.
    How often do you get a non crit SF?
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/rchmarkert_2007/Signatures/cpt.jpg

10+ Year Old Account

If you need something to warn you of the procs, so you don't have to be looking at your char or something like that, you can use something like Power Auras, and make some big noticeable thing just appear in front of your eyes

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cpttrips
    How often do you get a non crit SF?
    I doubt you have 100% crit, so, assuming that, any non-NG SF just lowers your DPS