epic what's in a name

As my main is a druid, i post my general topic here, as it seems i cant start a topic in general discussion.

But here it is:
    In a lot of threads the same old discussion returns: casuals can easily get 'welfare' epics and have a go at ICC. In the old days when you saw someone wearing T2 you instantly knew that you were looking at a hardcore raider. That's not the case now when you see someone running around in T10.

Maybe it has been suggested before but: ilvl 277 can only be gained in heroic. Ppl wearing this kind of stuff are probably the same kind of raider you saw 4y ago in T2. So why not change the type 'epic' and the color (purple) to something new ? Maybe some ppl have suggestions?
    Then you would see that the player really accomplished some difficult raiding content. Because you know... epic is something you should only use on rare occasions. Final battle in lord of the rings is epic, invading Omaha beach is epic, but not farming HC insta's whilst watching Dr. Phil.

Re: epic what's in a name

Quote Originally Posted by Singstomoon

In a lot of threads the same old discussion returns

And yet here you are, posting the same shit once more.

Noone raids hard modes to show off the gear, idling in dalaran with people drooling over us is pretty low on the priority list.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Noone raids hard modes to show off the gear, idling in dalaran with people drooling over us is pretty low on the priority list.
    This. Everyone complaining is just those people with extremely low selfesteem who want people to know how extremely imba they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm a casual and got some T10 pieces bought with Frost Emblems for Heroic farming.

So, I got a T10 piece and it's epic. How can that possibly be a problem for you*? Aren't 'hardcore' raiders kinda focused on their own gear rather than the gear of the average casual?

Do you really need a more special color for your gear just to show you're a 'hardcore' raider, like the raiding experience itself isn't enough to satisfy you?

/rant

*you: OP

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    This. Do HMs for the challenge, not for the epeen. Your achievements list says way more than your gear, anyway.

/sarcasm
    Perhaps you should petition for a feature that screams your best achievements to anyone you encounter.

LOOK AT ME I AM KILLED JARAXUS HEROIC
    /sarcasm off

Recently I saw someone in trade, looking at vanilla with rose tinted goggles saying: "Back at 60 I was so happy to get a blue, now I get decked in epics in a few days and don't care".
    All stupidity aside, this just shows that the game evolved...
    Old school blues (tier 0 or dungeon set 1) have become whatever tier you can get from heroic badges now (ATM, tier 9).
    I personally am fine with this. You still need to get off pieces somewhere, do not have the best version of the highest tier (or the entire set in the case of tier 8 ) and you don't have to run nax with every alt which hits 80 because he can't get a better weapon than that entrepid battle axe of the boar you got from a questmob at 78.

The game evolved, so should you.

"Hardcore raiders have better things to do than show off gear" is the kind of sentiment I suspect is written while tabbed out of hovering over Krasus on Ashes of A'lar.

I think the "difference" is already there in the tool tip -- the shiny green "heroic" flag on the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Singstomoon
    That's not the case now when you see someone running around in T10.
    Not sure you're aware of it but we're in the year 2010 and you have to live with the times. Blizzard have changed their game quite a lot since the "ol' days" and 'I can't see them changing their mind anytime soon, especially when their playerbase is somewhat larger than it was in "the ol' days".

The "Welfare epics" as you, and many others, call them are actually earned as well. Maybe not thru hardcore raiding, but they're still earned. There are plenty of things in the game you can do to feel important while being afk in Dalaran, more so than back in vanilla days.

And, as always, if you're not happy with the game then you can switch or switch off.

It takes a helluva lot more actual *work* to get a piece of 264 gear by grinding out the Frosts than it does to grab a pug 25 and get through Marrowgar or Toravon by mostly not getting killed. I've always found that kind of hilarious, the idea that badge gear is "welfare" gear.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Purno
    Do you really need a more special color for your gear.
    Eh...that's already implemented. Heroic gear has another color scheme then the other ilvl pieces. (and those have different scheme's too)
    I like this not because of the drooling but more of the satisfaction for myself and to be different then more casual players.
    IRL isn't that much different. Have you ever seen a factory worker out-dress a financial manager? (no offense to factory workers or financial managers )

@OP
    I would say that there is almost as much difference between:
    ilvl200 epics vs. ilvl277 epics
    and
    (tbc)T6 vs. ilvl200 epics

tbc had: T4 --> T5 --> T6
    wotlk has: T7 --> T8 --> T9 --> T10

So this would be more logical:
    tbc: Rare --> Epic --> Legendary
    wotlk: Rare --> (i.e.)Heroic --> Epic --> Legendary
    Heroic would be the current epics from 5man heroics. That would have made more sense imo.

No response from server