Thread: Owlkin Frenzy

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Owlkin Frenzy

Hi, I've been playing my boomkin alt more often lately, and I was looking over my talents after noticing much less mana problems with recent upgrades.

I was thinking of using this spec. My real question though is about Owlkin Frenzy - does this proc off of raid-wide AoEs like in Blood Queen Lana'thel? I heard it doesn't off Festergut, so I was wondering if there was some kind of rule on which types of attacks it procs on, and if it's worth putting a point or two in there. I tend to get very unlucky with my treants, so Brambles doesn't seem very appealing to me, and Genesis just seems kind of weak, whereas this has potential.

PS - I know Typhoon is very situational, but I'm almost always using it on Saurfang anyways and don't want to respec every raid. I also like having the pushback for those very rare moments it's useful.

Re: Owlkin Frenzy

Yes, it does proc from the queen ae.

i would rather putt that point in gale winds for trash clearing but thats only my opinion

Your first problem is Natures Splendor.
    Not worth the point for a Doomkin unless you really have the spare point.

Second is Imp MF/IS
    Too much trouble.

Third is Balance of Power
    If you aren't hit capped you aren't doing it right.

If you have mana problems, go into Intensity or Dreamstate, don't go into something as foolish as the Frenzy for PVE.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0xRbhiIocdIVuRuZbxcub

Is what I'd do first hitting 80(intensity or dreamstate, whichever gives more mana)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0xGbuiIocdIVuRuZbxczb

Raiding if you have absolutely no mana troubles.

I haven't played an oomkin since BC, so take my advice lightly.

If all else fails, Elitist Jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aewyn89
    If you have mana problems, go into Intensity or Dreamstate, don't go into something as foolish as the Frenzy for PVE.
    I don't have mana problems, which is why I'm respeccing in the first place. The reason I'm going into Moonkin Frenzy is for the 10% damage increase, which seems pretty awesome to me. What I'm trying to find out is how often it procs from raid damage to see if the amount it procs would be justifiable to spend a point or two in it.

I did think of taking a point out of Balance of Power as I'm at 12% hit right now, but I'm going to buy something with badges tomorrow and depending on what it is I might lose or gain some hit. If I take a point out I was going to put a second in Owlkin Frenzy.

You picked Moonglow and Gale Winds for me instead of Imp IS. Moonglow is useless to me as I don't believe I need the regen, and there are very few boss fights in ICC where I'd use Hurricane. A 10% increase on one of my dots (I still have 2pT9) and a 3% dmg increase to Wrath/3% crit increase to Starfire however are useful on all boss fights, even if it is minor. Same with Nature's Splendor. I'm not trying to argue, just explaining why I picked the points I did.

Thanks for all the advice so far. :3

O.f. all the way i was very pig headed on this at first, since well you needed to take damage to get it to proc and till icc it really was not a good option after many arguments on forums gave it a go Yeah as much as i hate to mention qieth was right it is pretty op in IC. If you have the extra hit drop all mana regen and drop one point out of BOP and go full O.F if not having the extra hit just go 2 points into it you will see the extra damage very often in IC. F gale winds if your in a good guild you can be from start to lich king in 2 hours NP. trash does not matter it will die and your wars and there 29 k aoe damage will make up for your crap aoe

to answer up time well its all rng but some fight's like queen you can have about 70% up time. I tend to hold strong at 10500 before bite on queen, and with out O.F about 9800. so on a good fight i can see around 700 dps but really expect to see about 100 dps to maybe 200 dps increase but that's just ball park figures

Second is Imp MF/IS
    Too much trouble.

Recommend ignoring all that... The highest damage per cast is moonfire and then insect swarm, should be up almost at all times. Therefore, Imp MF/IS and Natures Splendor is a must, at least if you raid. (Nothing that rivals it anyhow...)
    If you have more than 13% hit, you arent doing it right. All you have to do is take items with haste+crit, and try to avoid spirit items and items with hit... its easy to stay below hitcap if you try to optimize it.
    The specc in the original post is what I prefer, with 1 point Genesis > Moonglow but doesnt matter much.

Deleted

@OP: In any sort of moonkin spec, you will have two spare points. Three, if you are way over hit cap - at 315 hit rating you can pull a point from Balance of Power. This is assuming you don't need any sort of mana talents, other than the single point in moonglow. The best way for us to regen mana is actually having more crit - the majority of my mana regen comes from critting in moonkin form, and most reasonably geared moonkins will have absolutely no mana problems.

Assuming you have a few points to spare, Owlkin Frenzy is the talent that will yield the biggest benefit. Its not worth much on most fights, but it is still worth more than genesis or gale winds (we don't spec for trash now, do we?). You can spend a point on Typhoon, but its only really beneficial for very few fights.

Second is Imp MF/IS
    Too much trouble.

Is what I'd do first hitting 80(intensity or dreamstate, whichever gives more mana)

Next, lets make a post about rocket surgery, how to build your own car, and other things we have no knowledge of. If you don't play the spec, and you haven't been keeping yourself up to date, then you really shouldn't post suggestions. More or less all of your post is wrong, to a point where your advice will nerf his damage.

Im not going to correct this. I will simply suggest anybody to disregard the post above completely.

Hey i don't know much but listen to my advice anyway!

Anyway. Go with the spec you posted if you absolutely won't be without Typhoon, or throw that last point in Owlkin Frenzy aswell. I decided i don't need Typhoon as the knockback really shouldn't be neccessary for Saurfang and i can't think of another encounter in which i need it. It's personal preference really and the spec you suggested is definately good enough.

Deleted

Phase 2 onyxia when All the whelps spawn

just to make it a little bit harder for the tanks to pick them up?

typhoon is really good on LK as well, not gonna say where tho

The Moonkin Repository
    Moonkin forums for beginners and experienced players alike
    Moonkin TTT Thread with Wrathcalcs
    Check it out, good stuff in there

ill use typhoon on putricide as im running from one side to the other to keep the dmg/dps up and anyfight if i have to run from point a-b and its alost a kinda helpful o shit buttin (mostly on trash) pull aggro and push it back to the tank
    Tycat was here

15+ Year Old Account

Second is Imp MF/IS
    Too much trouble.

Since you obviously fail, you might want to try Elitist Jerks, because they'd tell you everything you posted is completely and utterly wrong.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoe
    Recommend ignoring all that... The highest damage per cast is moonfire and then insect swarm, should be up almost at all times. Therefore, Imp MF/IS and Natures Splendor is a must, at least if you raid. (Nothing that rivals it anyhow...)
    If you have more than 13% hit, you arent doing it right. All you have to do is take items with haste+crit, and try to avoid spirit items and items with hit... its easy to stay below hitcap if you try to optimize it.
    The specc in the original post is what I prefer, with 1 point Genesis > Moonglow but doesnt matter much.
    Keeping IS up at all times is silly. I think you'll find most leading moonkin have dropped the IS glyph, and only put it up during Solar Eclipse.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

yeh i usually only put it up during solar phases or when i've got nothing better to do and im running, awesome thing about that spell is that you can cast it on a target no matter what direction you're facing

The Moonkin Repository
    Moonkin forums for beginners and experienced players alike
    Moonkin TTT Thread with Wrathcalcs
    Check it out, good stuff in there

Deleted

I will check my logs after our next ICC25 raid for OF uptimes on different bosses, but I'd say it's definately worth it even with just 2 points. I've seen it proc most on Lana'thel, but its uptime can also be quite high for Deathwhisper and Rotface (I think it procced from Slime Spray) at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluana
    no clue why you would not want to share but typhoon can be used to daze valks and comes in really handy in 25 lk and 10 man lk aswell in last phase it hits the spirts and can push them back

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aluana
    Shouldn't you kill Lich King before you get all elitist about it?

I talk about the benefits of Typhoon in the Lich King fight, AND where it comes into handy here, in my LK25 kill post.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre