Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: are paladins fun to play as?

If you want to DPS as a Paladin, prepare to have everyone call you faceroll and make fun of you because they heard the cool kids on the forum saying it.

They will often be dual-wield unholy Death Knights that use Scourge Strike, then icy touch, then blood strike, then Plague strike. They then use Death Coil on their 100% health ghoul because they made a macro so he doesn't die and they don't feel like changing it.

Any insults/suggestions you make to a different class, no matter how horrible, will be countered by "lol cuming from a retaardadin?"

Not to say they're not fun, but be prepared.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

I'd say the hardest part of a paladin to play is pre 51 talent point holy healing dungeons, without beacon to heal 2 targets its easy to get overwhelmed by aoe dmg or dps pulling aggro.

The basic priority system for ret and prot are very easy to learn, and holy is just beacon the tank spam anyone taking damage. The diffrence between an ok pally and a great one is the great pally is constantly looking for situations where he can use his skills to help out the raid, like salv the real high aggro dps, freedom on the tank to drag anub through the frost patch, bop on the healer because newly spawned adds are running for him, or make a macro to use sheath of light procs on Valithria Dreamwalker.

I love playing my pally, but thats because i love the 3 roles in 1 class and the lore surrounding them. The only real big problem with paladin is leveling REALLY sucks because you dont get your instant attacks until you dump alot of points into ret. I would say to give it a try, good ret pallies are few and far between and if dps doesnt work out for you its always an option to try out holy or prot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzader
    I have an 80 pala and have exp with all 3 spec, imo pala feels like "WoW for Dummies" almost like everything is handed to you on a plate... i hate what they did to palas in 3.0, i get no enjoyment playing pala anymore, the skillcap is almost non existant. Now im not saying a good pala wont shine among noob palas, but he wont shine as much as a good rogue shines among bad rogues if you know what im saying.

I would reccomend not to roll Paladin.
    You can't seriously be implying pallies were harder to play in BC than they are now. Ret was an autoattack spec with Crusader Strike and judgement to fill in the gaps, that was it. I'm not kidding, auto attack was 50% of our dmg.

Prot was even worse, auto attack, holy shield and consecration. Judgement dmg was horrible back then.

Holy was a flash and downranked holy light spam. Holy shock had terribad coefficients.

What game were you playing?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by erwin121
    Roll a druid then, its challenging (fun). Its dps is high compared to other classes. Hell you can even go ranged dps if you want.

And imo druidhealers are the best and fun healers available (at least of what i played with, have only healed on druid discpriest and resto shaman)

Tanking is pretty bad (just compaired to warriors), but you can easily tank heroics in catspec/gear. And you have a lot less buttons to press so i guess its easier aswell.

Only you look like a bloody tree from felwood whether you're level 50 or 80 or 85 all the time. The forms take a lot of fun out of the class as you don't see any changes or improvement.

Leveling a Paladin is extremely boring (so boring that I gave up on mine after level 32), but from what I've heard and what a good friend of mine keeps telling me, they're one of the most rewarding classes in the game. You don't have any limitations as a Paladin and can be any role, and often the best in that role.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Undercity Champion says: "I punched a penguin on my way in here."
    Argent Confessor Paletress says: "Oh, my. Do you feel remorseful, at least?"
    Undercity Champion says: "Nah, not really. I just wanted to see the look on your face."

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wanky
    Leveling a Paladin is extremely boring (so boring that I gave up on mine after level 32), but from what I've heard and what a good friend of mine keeps telling me, they're one of the most rewarding classes in the game. You don't have any limitations as a Paladin and can be any role, and often the best in that role.
    sorry but no, druids can be any role not paladins.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account

They are VERY easy to dps as and the are almost invincible in pvp with some decent gear.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Danktus
    They are VERY easy to dps as and the are almost invincible in pvp with some decent gear.
    Paladins are not super fun to play, not new and exiting everytime i log on.
    Theire good fun to play, i particulary like my capability to solo stuff.

But if at the end of the day i can see a QQ post like that... it's just worth it
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Every time there's a thread about Paladins this crap comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danktus
    are almost invincible in pvp with some decent gear.
    We're not in 3.0 anymore. I absolutely loathe FotM Paladin rerollers, but this whole "Paladins are OP" thing makes me want to rip my hair out. Easy to play. Boring as fuck (subjective, really). Unique snowflake syndrome. Big "I'm probably brain dead" flag. But not OP.

Buy a goddamn trinket or use your own balanced as fuck racial, don't fucking trinket Repentance, don't backpedal, don't keyboard turn, don't click, don't just spam whatever isn't on cd, and Paladins are just as "OP" as any other class.
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathflame
    Because rotations in general are hard, amirite?

To anyone who says otherwise: No.
    To anyone who mentions enh shammys or ferals: No.
    You obviously don't play feral, nice try though!

Paladins are low on the single target damage meters in equivalent gear to any other class. Period. IDC if your paladin had a lucky raid day, managed to pull 10k+, whatever.

in ilvl245 gear (most ICC10ers by now) a paladin does 4k dps at his best. He's very depending on buffs such as +10% attack power and +strength and haste and stuff

we're talking SINGLE TARGET

also, gearing is a challenge: many ilvl 200 weighs better than a 245, we're always way over hit cap, there's AGILITY on everything that we want Strength, certain gemming require certain specifics (like, regem all ur gems to +10 haste when you get TAiaJ? I mean its bad enough that you have to KILL PP); balancing around expertise is a pain in the ass (either way to much or way too little)

It's no longer a faceroll spec. Spamming the ability as the GCD comes up is important; 2pc t10 makes it a real challenge; you HAVE to follow the priority or your dps suffers is HUGE, and yes, there are 10+ abilites to use as their cd's come up: Avenging Wrath + Trinket 1 + trinket 2 > Hammer of Wrath > Judgment > Crusader Strike > Divine Storm > Consencration > Excorcism > Divine Plea

I press all 10 of these regularly in a raid (the first 3 are macro'd in)

In PvP it's no longer high damage and possible the worst, and also complicated with group support spells that cost you GCDs

Stop assuming paladins are a joke

It's quite possibly the easiest to tank with, although with incredibly high avoidance and armor, you're never taking damage in heroics, and are often running OOM, even with DP up 100%

On the plus side, with SealCleave, all single attacks become equivalent aoe damage, meaning your dps is multiplicative in AoE packs, causing the infamous 34k DPS on ICC trash.
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

Quote Originally Posted by Fano7
    Ofcourse he doesn't, and will never play such speccs. Those speccs are made for people who loves to advance in a more complex, challenging and very strong speccs.

Now it doesn't mean he can't play the game, though! Blizzard made a class which completely simple for beginners *cough* ..
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Quote Originally Posted by fuzziewuzzy
    You do realize you just failed at describing a 2 button rotation right?
    yes, he did fail at describe said rotation. that is what it was in 3.0-3.2

3.2 update...

Arcane blast arcane blast arcane blast arcane blast *if Missle barrage* arcane missles *if not* continue arcane blast

with 2pc t10 this is even more important, since hitting arcane missles WITH the proc gives such a huge dps boost and hitting arcane missles with the proc before 3* AB is a dps loss.

Mana is actually something you have to manage as an arcane mage with 2pc t10.

Because of mana problems, if you can't get an innerv, the rotation is being updated to *if proc at 3 AB's, use it, don't wait till 4*
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Static
    Paladin is the easiest class to play with, and facerolling at it's finest.
    Oh, and think again when saying Enhancement Shamans and Feral Druids got an easy rotation.
    Now try to change facerelling and try one of those two classes, and then let me know if they have easy rotations or not.
    " Now either he's going to reply: Yes I have an Enhance shaman and feral and they're easy blablabla, lying ofcourse, or he's going to be stubborn and and start flaming like a kid".
    Loladins...
    On topic: They are fun ofcourse, due to how easy the class and able to fulfill his role with ease, not to mention certain immunities.
    First off Paladins don't have a rotation so you can't compare them with a class that has one and 2nd no class is hard to play but some classes are harder to be really good at as they have multi tasking.

In a serious raiding atmosphere as Ret you aren't a Warrior or a Rogue, You do other things, You throw fol heals, you bop, you freedom at times you even sac and yes even salv. Then depending on your spec and your need in the raid you dsac or use aura mastery with a number of different options.

So yes while a Paladin is easy to play at a mediocre level not everyone just wants to be mediocre, Not one other DPS class has as much random crap to attend to during a raid.

Ret is like multi task supreme period if you want to just DPS and smash some buttons play any of the other caster class because on a raid boss if you are even remotely serious in raiding you will find yourself doing a number of things other then just DPSing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Requital
    First off Paladins don't have a rotation so you can't compare them with a class that has one and 2nd no class is hard to play but some classes are harder to be really good at as they have multi tasking.

In a serious raiding atmosphere as Ret you aren't a Warrior or a Rogue, You do other things, You throw fol heals, you bop, you freedom at times you even sac and yes even salv. Then depending on your spec and your need in the raid you dsac or use aura mastery with a number of different options.

So yes while a Paladin is easy to play at a mediocre level not everyone just wants to be mediocre, Not one other DPS class has as much random crap to attend to during a raid.

Ret is like multi task supreme period if you want to just DPS and smash some buttons play any of the other caster class because on a raid boss if you are even remotely serious in raiding you will find yourself doing a number of things other then just DPSing.
    i was about to bash this guy too, i mean he was right up until the point where he said "ret you do other things"

but then i realized, well actually, he's right; ret, you ONLY dps, until you reach that 4 second gap in your rotation (it's there and you know it, especially without 4pct10) if you wanted to be helpful, why not use them GCDs?

besides, cleansing during running phases and not dpsing times is always helpful
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Fano7
    If you think feral rotation is hard, you're DOING IT WRONG.

BTW, guys. I'm terribly sorry for using google to find the arcane mage rotation without looking at post dates, I shall now commit seppuku.

Ofcourse he doesn't, and will never play such speccs. Those speccs are made for people who loves to advance in a more complex, challenging and very strong speccs.

Now it doesn't mean he can't play the game, though! Blizzard made a class which completely simple for beginners *cough* ..
    That's right, stroke your ego because you play one of those speccs sub-par.

Quote Originally Posted by teirst
    their dps is low compared to other classes when looked at on a similar gear/skill level
    yeah u are right 10k is low compared to any other class with simmilar gear and skill. one of the officers in my guild(dk) and one other druid(feral) are at 5.9k gs i am at 5.7, we all do @ 10k dps with a rogue in our back all the time(but he is a bit lower on on gear)

paladin is not THAT complex but well, its no arcane mage to spam 1 1 1 1 2(WOW THAT IS SOOOOO MUCH HARDER). If u want to play ret paladin u have to be aware that my left hand after a static fight hurts like hell cuz i press the keyboard like mad

editlus its almost never fcfs, cuz of the reseted ds every 3-4 seconds

to compare --

FerLAWL dps rotation
    -put up feral faerie fire
    -apply mangle
    -build combo points and put up savage roar
    -keep savage roar active the entire fight
    -apply rake - keep rake active the entire fight, when it falls, re-apply
    -build combo points and apply rip
    -keep an eye on procs to see if you can fit in a ferocious bite between rips.

Retadin dps "rotation" ~~this rotation assumes no special tier set bonuses~~
    >>>>basic FCFS(first come first serve) priority list rotation
    -CS
    -HoW**
    -Judgement LISTEN FOR RAID UTILITY*
    -DS |
    -Exorcism(UD/Demon only, if not v it goes after consecrate)
    -consecrate
    -holy wrath if available
    -put up divine plea around 65% so that judgement doesnt over cap your mana
    ** if boss is below 20%

*means pay attention for somebody to be salved, to pop bubble sac, change auras, HoP somebody, etc

both play styles have their unique focus. ferals is more focused in on the rotation to push maximum dps, rets is less focused on a complex rotation allowing more room to utilize utility without suffering a large dps loss. i mean lets face it, if somebody asked a feral druid to pop out of kitty and go cyclone something and a ret pally to go HOJ something, who would suffer more of a dps loss? (give you a hint, it looks like a cat)

TL;DR (not sure how long this post is, its late) no matter what class you play, your rotation is suited to a different play style than other classes

edit: colors are hard, and thanks to Zeleii for correcting my fail on the ret priority list

Quote Originally Posted by teirst
    if you want to dps don't roll a paladin

their dps is low compared to other classes when looked at on a similar gear/skill level

if you want to be able to play around and do different thing (dps/tank/heal) they are ok.

if you want strong melee dps go warrior/rogue
    Paladins are the currently the highest Mid ranged DPS class. They are by no means bad, especially as bad as you put it. Just because your guilds rets are the definition of failures doesn't mean the class is.

Quote Originally Posted by Illunis

Retadin dps "rotation"
    >>>>basic FCFS(first come first serve) priority list rotation
    -Judgement
    -'Sader strike
    -Consecrate LISTEN FOR RAID UTILITY*
    -DS
    -Exorcism
    -put up divine plea when needed
    ** if boss is below 20% HoW after judgement
    Wrong.
    FCFS (always) Priority when more than one is off CD
    Try to time Wings well.
    DP around 65% or so, that way Judgment won't cause DP to generate wasted mana past 100%

w/o 2P T9/4P T10 or T10

CS > HoW > Judge > DS > Exo (UD/Demon) > Consecrate > Exo > Holy Wrath

w/2P T9

Judge > HoW > CS > DS > Exo (UD/Demon) > Consecrate > Exo > HW

/w 2P T10/2P T9 Combo

Judge > DS > HoW > CS > Exo (UD/Demon) Consecrate > Exo > HW

Rotation is same once you get 4P T10. And to say, to fuck up as ret is a slight DPS loss... my guild runs 3 Rets currently, and when one of us fucks up our rotation... we all know it, one is about 100-200 lower, not exactly a little DPS loss.