Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

To those who bash Gearscore using PuG Leaders...

To the self-important baddies who insult people on their servers and on these forums for setting Gearscore requirements for their PuG raids. In response to the mutual back-patting, and kudos I have seen to those who reject using it, and try to ostracize those on their server who do. All I can say is... deal with it.

Gearscore is here to stay, and it's a good thing.

No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is specced correctly.
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is gemmed/chanted properly.
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is just in high-end PvP gear.
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is just plain stupid and bad at their class.

But it does save people like me who PuG on my alts often A LOT OF TIME, weeding out fails, as opposed to the old way of doing it (checking on armory, or inspecting a person in front of you piece by piece, doing the math in my head to tell what their stats are).

And yes, despite the elitist mantra of Skill > Gear, that still does not = Gear doesn't matter. I don't care how pro you think you are, I'm not taking you to my ICC PuG if you have a 4kGS. Right off the bat when I see you, I can tell you that you don't make the cut, without wasting a moment of my time checking out your lvl200Heroic epics, and blue off-hand.

Just because I use gearscore doesn't mean I don't gearcheck. Every person I invite, either I or someone in my guild inspects people to make sure they are at least competently gemmed/specced properly. And the best part is? If someone has over a 5.2k GS it's almost guaranteed they are good, otherwise the other GS whores on my server never would have taken them to get carried to that level. Bads are weeded out on the server, I save time pugging. It's a win win.

And that's what it comes down to. Everyone on here and other forums and in trade chat QQing about GS, are in reality just the bads of each server, who are upset that they aren't BSing their way into pugs to get boosted anymore. Suck it up, and stop sucking and GS won't matter.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Re: To those who bash Gearscore using PuG Leaders...

Quoting myself from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Gear score is nothing more than a tool that serves a single purpose, stop misusing it or making assumptions based on the information it gives you and it will stop being a problem.
    Gear score is not a bad thing as long as you don't use it badly.

Sorry, checking the armory or inspecting someone in person is not the old fashioned way.

The old fashioned way involved knowing most of the people in raiding guilds that were any good, before blizzard opened the door to let scrubs raid.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Pretty much agree with op. Though, 4500 can easily crank outenough damage or healing for 25icc. Probably can't be anymore than a third tank though. (first 4 bosses. But pugs don't get past that much anyway).
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

1) Find a guild

2) Start your own damn pug

3) Get all of the stupid easy gear that rains down from the sky like candy to get into GS pugs anyway.

There, just eliminated GS from everyone's lists of worries. :

15+ Year Old Account

its just like asking is BS. "how much +healing u have?" etc but its a better way of getting stats w/out them having to link u all of the stats. i mean what would u like them to ask?
    "Are u good?" i mean seems like atm GS is prob the best way to judge someone w/out knowing how they raid. grated i have been a lot lower in GS and pulled more dps but there has to be some way to get a genreal understanding of how good/geared a person is. any other sugestions?

Gearscore is the best thing to happen to WoW ever, because the gearscore thread is where all the trolls go now.

Gearscore is for bads. I don't raid with bads. End of story.
    Thats why I use the addon skillscore when i pug....

OP"s post so full of truth....
    GS doesn"t show you if the person is skilled...but it shows you his gear,and that"s the important part.
    Because you can be from ensidia,perfect player,but with blue gear you won"t do more damage,then somebody with full toC/icc gear(if he at least has some basic knowledge about his class,rotation etc..)
    Yes,there are people who can make 5k dps with 4k gs,and there are people who can make same damage with 5,5 k gs.
    But those are exceptions,usually when player has 5,5 k gs,he"s not some DK with half tanking gear and half dps and he probably knows how to play properly.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    Pretty much agree with op. Though, 4500 can easily crank outenough damage or healing for 25icc. Probably can't be anymore than a third tank though. (first 4 bosses. But pugs don't get past that much anyway).
    im still oldschool on this whole GS thing. When the expansion released I was doing heroics (healing) with old tier armor and epics and I was under geared based on the norm at the time but I had experience to overcome the struggles that heroics first had on players freshly reaching lvl 80.

Same goes for now. I missed all but 3-4 weeks of ToC/t9 era before ICC came out and I was in 2x T7.5 and 3x T8.5 with uld25 epics doing ToGC25 man healing my ass off and out performing my fellow guildies in t9. wowheroes.com showed my pally mostly in the red for icc25 when it was released but I still healed it like a mofo because im skilled and conditioned to expect the unexpected on boss encounters.

With that said, gs alone isnt enough expecially if the person wanting an invite has icc 5man heroic epics and t9/badge shoulders&helm on. I will require 25man achievements and maybe a armory check to see if they have t9.25 or higher on as well. At least that proves they have knowledge which is a small part in skill.

gear =/= skill period.

Everyone who hates GS doesn't have very little of it, you're just saying that. Else I think your opinion is pretty ok.

GearScore doesn't show skill, it shows potential.

Its not a great system, but its better than nothing when qualifying PuGs.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin
    Oh, I agree with that, but the original poster's assumptions are extremely flawed. Most people who use gearscore for PuG screening use it horribly and assume way too much, such as the OP.
    Agreed, any assumptions beyond gear score loosely correlating to performance in a situation with all other factors are equal are probably going to be wrong.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ceara
    GearScore doesn't show skill, it shows potential.
    What I was trying to say in a lot fewer words.

Performance correlates to a function of your skill and your gear level, it doesn't matter how high one is if the other is low.

GearScore means absolutely nothing, should never be used, should have never been made and should absolutely be erased from everyone's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Only idiots quote themselves

Another GS thread yayyyyyy!

Seriously guys the faster we ignore these posts the easier our minds will be.
    And for those who haven't caught up with addon times <a href="http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...stgroup.aspx"> Elitist Group </a> is more informative than GS is by far.

Elitist Group addon. Tells you what GS won't!

15+ Year Old Account

GearScore addon + Recount addon = Performance option. If they arnt preforming well then kick them. easy enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rindolor
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is gemmed/chanted properly.
    actually it does
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

The biggest flaw of GS is it says NOTHING of the person's skill. Anyone can gear and gem correctly but not everyone knows how to play their character.

Elitist Group addon. Tells you what GS won't!

i has... gud gearscoar, aproksamately 5600, i do icc & gud icc25 & voa i wan t10 from der'

Troll off....

No, gearscore does not show skill... But it is quite useful, there is always a minimum gear req for raids, and there always have been.

I reccomend you take a look at "Elitist group" addon, shows main/alt progression etc, and you can rate people. I believe boubouille made a topic about it
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Savarea
    The biggest flaw of GS is it says NOTHING of the person's skill. Anyone can gear and gem correctly but not everyone knows how to play their character.
    Amen brother.