Elemental shamans using Lightning shield in PvE.

Hello, I was just wondering how many here are actually using lightning shield, since mana regeneration is something we really don't need any of.

With lightning shield up you will get off a proc or two when getting damaged occasionally.

FYI I'm talking about people in the icc content, also please show a log about the damage it has done in some of your fights where you use it.

Thanks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Elemental shamans using Lightning shield in PvE.

If you dont need too use water shield, youre not doing enough damage :-)

Interesting. Though I don't think it does proc from let's say, AoE damage, does it? in other words, I (think) it only procs from direct damage done to you, as in a boss or a mob faced you personally and attacked you.

If it does proc from Raid wide damage, I think it's good to use it, otherwise, it doesn't hurt having Water Shield even if not having a single problem with mana.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

based on my experiences as enhancement, it procs off some boss spells, but not many.

Things like the Fel Chain Lightning that Jaraxxus casts, yeah, it'll proc off that. Penetrating cold? Yep. Any boss-casts-on-a-target spell seems to proc it.

AoE auras, ground targeted AoEs... no, they don't proc LS. I'm not sure about "volley" spells (frostbolt volley, etc).

Presumably if you truly do not need the WS mana return, you could wear LS to do slightly more damage. It's so slight, though, that I wouldn't chance my mana pool were I you. It just isn't procced by boss attacks regularly enough to matter.

UNLESS you're the guy tanking Keleseth, in which case, go for it, extra damage is extra
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trellen/simple (Enhancement PvE)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...l/alamo/simple (Boomkin/Guardian, PvE)

No, I'm not the real Alamo, just a guy who liked his work.

is lighnting shield on the global cooldown?

3*1.3k dmg if it can even proc, is never gonna beat another lightning bolt, hell it wont even beat a frost shock.

even if its off i'd rather use water to make sure i dont even have to TS for mana.

Well if you're in the ICC content you don't need the water shield, it's useless so might aswell get the extra damage from lightning shield, ofc you should only refresh it when the time is right, i.e. moving and not needing to cast a shock, place a totem or w/e.

I'd love to hear peoples experience using it.

Thanks again

10+ Year Old Account

Not needing mana? Ok, im not really running oom quick but if i keep my CL in my rotation im running oom at some time.
    After the first fase in the LK fight im on 50% mana due to the CL spam into the huge add and the ghouls.
    Did i miss the post-it saying CL shouldn't be used anymore?
    No response from server

I think there was another post on this somewhere yesterday but, they do proc of volley spells which is why lady death etc are great for mana when using water shield and good to use LS if u can spare the mana.

If ur shy on mana...are u glyphying thunderstorm? or perhaps try only swapping to LS when the boss is under 50% and u still have muchos mana

If you dont need too use water shield, youre not doing enough damage :-)
    hmmm see what ur getting at but some fights like marrowgar we're now doing in under 4mins. in which you shouldnt really be going oom unless ur gear or rotation is really wrong and ur raid has no buffs!

just manage ur mana first then when u feel confident swap to lighting shield
    I am not a Zombie!!! I'm a very Ankh'd off Shaman!

marrowgar and the queen are proccing it all the time.

the queen actually consumes it within 5 seconds.
    but its only an extra 4500 dmg so frostshock, thunder, refresh fs, refresh searing is all higher on priority.
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Quote Originally Posted by squizle
    After the first fase in the LK fight im on 50% mana due to the CL spam into the huge add and the ghouls.
    Heh? You are not using the disease to kill those? Or you feel that the extra 50k that you will do on them will matter?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ilialilov
    Heh? You are not using the disease to kill those? Or you feel that the extra 50k that you will do on them will matter?
    Ofc we're letting them die by the disease but it can be the difference in the amount of ticks. This was one of the frist tries tho so yeah i should save more mana there but it was ment as an (reviewed: bad)example where you would want the watershield.
    A better one should be the gunship battle with the axethrowers. CL is nice there if you got multiple next to eachother. Also im the one staying on the ship so the adds can soak some CL's too (and Fire nova).
    Fire Nova on CD and CL everytime is mana consuming.

And what bone123 said: it's 4500 damage for a GCD on some fights where most of you abilities do more. Might be interesting in a heavy movement fight where you can refresh it while walking and while frost shock is on cd. Otherwise i'm really not convinced of the added value.
    No response from server

Lightning Shield is unbelievably situational, and you'd never want to waste a global cooldown on it unless you're moving and your Shock and Fire Nova and Thunderstorm is on cooldown, and you don't need mana, and none of your totems need to be refreshed any time soon, and the boss is capable of proccing Lightning Shield.

I really suggest sticking with Water Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by squizle
    Not needing mana? Ok, im not really running oom quick but if i keep my CL in my rotation im running oom at some time.
    Really mate if you run low on mana you're doing something wrong. I cannot run oom unless i've died & ankh'ed / cr'ed.

And of course i'd only use LS when all the other priorities aren't possible / already done.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t.../#tab-dmgspell

heres my log with ligthningshield from our trys on the queen yesterday.
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

10+ Year Old Account

Thats 0.6% of your total damage done. (If im right and Blitzschlagschild = lightning shield)
    Not really impressive for the 102 hits
    No response from server

I literally finish every boss fight in ever instance with 100% mana. I never TS and often use CL. i have no mp5 gear either. So i guess... why not?

10+ Year Old Account

So shortly: If your mana allowes it and you got some movement time left go for it. Otherwise don't bother.
    No response from server

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

The only fight that affects our mana currently is Lich King.

The fight is so long, you absolutely want to use CL all the time on valks, ghouls, vile spirits etc.

I didn't run out of mana, but towards the end of the fight I was maybe around 20% mana.

What's good about the Arthas fight is that Infest procs water shield, so you can refresh water shield the whole fight and thuderstorm. But it's also a heavy dps encounter, so you will lose mana quickly but should be able to manage it.

Hey again, thanks for all the replies.

0.6% is better than nothing and especially in a dps-race kinda boss that BQL is.

No more questions from my side, thanks.

If you aren't running out of mana, you aren't casting hard enough.

You also aren't optimizing your priorities by throwing in CL's appropriately, either.

You're probably also specced 5/5 convection instead of dumping points out of there for Imp Fire Nova, or possibly Elemental Warding.

In other words, smash your buttons harder and you'll quickly see that yes, water shield makes a huge freaking difference.