Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Its viable lvling as healer???

Viable means it works, not the best option, but workable nevertheless.

Dual spec is the better option, but I don't think we should always assume that those starting a priest already have an 80 parked at this point. So without it, Smite is your best option if you wish to level as a healer.

Last time I checked, Smite is only unbearable from 1 - 20. As soon as you get Holy Fire and Glyph of Smite the fun starts. Running instances will also get you better blues, which equals to better damage when soloing.

I'm not discriminating Shadow here, it does do pretty good damage. But people have different styles of play.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Goulashia
    No.

It's EXTREMELY slower in BC/Wotlk dungeons too.
    Is it? That stinks. I'm leveling (currently 31) a shaman and dungeon leveling is awesome. I'm enhance healing since enhance isn't all that great till dual wield.

And everyone saying there's no reason because of dual spec, it IS 1000g and not everyone has that while leveling. Some people may be leveling on a different server than their current 80s.
    My 80s
    Ret/Prot Paladin
    Afflic Warlock
    Mut Rogue
    Enhance Shaman
    Prot Warrior
    Unholy Death Knight

it is most definately viable, though i recommend getting dual talents.

if you dont just spam random dungeons, its hard to do it anyway else (and before you start speculating its not, i leveld my previous main a priest 1-60 as holy... was not fun)

am doing it with my shammy atm, and its very fun

Thanks to Stanton Biston for the amazing sig!

It IS viable but strongly NOT recommended seeing as questing as shadow will level you A LOT faster once you hit Outlands and Northrend. It is also faster in Azeroth but not as noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Sorry... next you'll tell me shaman should level as resto and holy pallys are quicker to level... this is where your love for a spec gets the best of you. Any class in the game will level quicker in a dps spec than a healing spec... this is due to the fact that higher damage leads to quicker XP gain.

I'm also highly skeptical that holy can provide better DPM than shadow... i'd go as far to say it can't which means shadow will have far less downtime.
    Nice try there, but I said nothing even close to that, nor would I even imply it.

And downtime? Really? Spirit Tap means downtime is practically non existent. First three points of any levelling priest. Period. And I'm not saying level full healing, at all (i.e. with Improved Renew, Improved/Spiritual Healing, etc.)

I'm saying picking up the dual purpose talents in Discipline and Holy has just as strong a place as full Shadow, with the added familiarity of seeing how a few of these actually affect your healing abilities.

Higher Damage means nothing when you don't have the Haste to increase your DoTs on levelling gear. Nor do you actually get that haste even applicable until you pick up Shadowform. Crit's not really there on pre outland quest/mob drops (and yes, you still spend most of your time levelling a character in Azeroth. Shocking, I know.)

As I'd stated before, cast a couple spells, kill a target, move on. Target's life is shorter and more controlled in comparison to Shadow's multi-DoT, which only has the advantage of being able to hit up 4+ targets at a time and hope Vampiric Embrace is enough to keep them up through all of them beating on him. I played another character like that, it was called a Protection Paladin.

People saying it's faster as Shadow, it's really not that noticable. Not until you're halfway through Outlands, or Northrend anyways. But by then, you already have a feel what you're doing (and could probably instance level/heal the entire way anyways if you really wanted to).
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

You are not so much leveling as a healer as you are a smite spammer. I have found smite spamming faster on my way to 40. Then at 40 just buy dual spec. Have one as shadow for solo questing then the other disc or holy for instances

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Nice try there, but I said nothing even close to that, nor would I even imply it.

And downtime? Really? Spirit Tap means downtime is practically non existent. First three points of any levelling priest. Period. And I'm not saying level full healing, at all (i.e. with Improved Renew, Improved/Spiritual Healing, etc.)

I'm saying picking up the dual purpose talents in Discipline and Holy has just as strong a place as full Shadow, with the added familiarity of seeing how a few of these actually affect your healing abilities.

Higher Damage means nothing when you don't have the Haste to increase your DoTs on levelling gear. Nor do you actually get that haste even applicable until you pick up Shadowform. Crit's not really there on pre outland quest/mob drops (and yes, you still spend most of your time levelling a character in Azeroth. Shocking, I know.)

As I'd stated before, cast a couple spells, kill a target, move on. Target's life is shorter and more controlled in comparison to Shadow's multi-DoT, which only has the advantage of being able to hit up 4+ targets at a time and hope Vampiric Embrace is enough to keep them up through all of them beating on him. I played another character like that, it was called a Protection Paladin.

People saying it's faster as Shadow, it's really not that noticable. Not until you're halfway through Outlands, or Northrend anyways. But by then, you already have a feel what you're doing (and could probably instance level/heal the entire way anyways if you really wanted to).
    So shadow is faster... thank you for some common sense... and if you read what I said to begin with... yes leveling as holy is viable but as to why you would when shadow is faster and easier is beyond me.

And for the record if you're casting any dots other than VT while leveling as shadow, no wonder you found it difficult, thats pretty much the exact wrong thing to do.

Edit: Forgot to mention, spirit tap is a shadow talent... so your holy leveling spec relies on shadow talents... furthermore you sacrafice getting to deep holy talents... might as well stick in the shadow tree and get the deep damage increase talents. Particularly considering holy doesn't have any dps talents worth mentioning.

What do you enjoy doing. If you want to grind quests to level up, go shadow. If you enjoy healing, then go holy and grind dungeons through the new dungeon finder to level up. Level however you enjoy the most.

you'll find that you can heal as a caster in dps spec absolutely fine. DS at 40 if you have a main.

i have a disc priest, and was forced to send him shadow through frustration. Healing instances was a joke, most of the time i sat there doing nothing. Spec imp shadow embrace and dps through instances with liberal use of shield and you'll be fine. Drop out for flash heals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Survival talents are split between the two, and having a stronger Reflective shield means less healing and more free damage anyways.

All of Shadow's "nifty abilities" don't come into effect until later, Group Quests are completely optional (and you'll still die as Shadow infact some might say even more so), so the point still stands that time engaged on each mob is shorter with a Smite hybrid, whereas Shadow can tab-dot multi-targets generally faster but each is alive longer (and swinging more often) while each loses their health slowly.

Plus, Smite gives you comfortability with healing. Sure you can heal as Shadow, and it's viable, but I find one gets a stronger feel for it as Discipline and/or Holy.
    I understand you are reffering to the whole leveling proccess, but I was able to solo a suprising amount of things as shadow once I got my shadow form, with a shield and the healing from VE

I agree with you on the whole tho, that leveling as a 'healing' spec is viable. I suggest getting your spirit tap, then working down to searing light then start filling the disc tree

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Edit: Forgot to mention, spirit tap is a shadow talent... so your holy leveling spec relies on shadow talents... furthermore you sacrafice getting to deep holy talents... might as well stick in the shadow tree and get the deep damage increase talents. Particularly considering holy doesn't have any dps talents worth mentioning.
    You don't sacrifice to getting deep holy talents at all, you just lose 3 points. Holy has Divine Fury, which is an amazing dps talent, and comes very early in the build. As it stands, at those low levels holy fire is better then mind blast for damage and mana. With a glyph of smite, now smite is also better then mindblast at those levels as well. Shadow relies heavily on the synergy of the talents, everything buffs everything. Below shadowform, holy will do comparable damage.

And finally, the thing you keep forgetting is that until you get deep into shadow, holy damage is more mana efficent. Plus you don't have to worry about the occasional quest mob resisting shadow.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

Deleted

I've done it. Smite builds (Holy or Disc) ARE faster than Shadow up to a certain point (around 55). Much more survivability, and with GoSmite (+20% damage when H Fire is on target) stuff dies FAST.

I would agree that Smite and Shadow are both excellent for levelling up until about Outland, but once you pick up Dispersion and the glyph mana just stops being an issue, especially since you pick up a 3 minute Shadowfiend as well. Of course, if you enjoy healing then stick with it.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrakin
    I've done it. Smite builds (Holy or Disc) ARE faster than Shadow up to a certain point (around 55). Much more survivability, and with GoSmite (+20% damage when H Fire is on target) stuff dies FAST.
    Survivability is questionable. You might get slightly better shield from talents, but at about the same levels you will be getting shadow weaving which increases your spell power which also means bigger shields. Plus you'll have VE for self healing 'if' you actually get hit, and I say 'if' because with mind flay slowing them down most mobs should only get a swing or two which is by far not enough to break your shields. Plus ~60 you'll pick up twisted faith, so after a killing blow your spirit (and thus spell power) will go up quite a bit, plus your shadow weaving stack means that casting a shield at that point results in a much better shield. You'll also have shadow form at that point which means 15% less so you actually have more survivability eventually as shadow and about the same during the early levels.

The early levels, up to maybe 20 or 30 I can see it being faster as a smite build, especially with the glyph. Around that point though mind flay is very mana efficient and has a slow built in. You get mana reducing talents and damage/spell power increasing talents early in shadow as well. The only way to really mess up going shadow is to DoT every mob in sight. Not only will you go oom, but you're likely to die unless you have very good gear and know what you are doing. With the BoA gear (trinkets included), spirit tap and replenishment, I was basically at 99-100% mana all the time unless it was the first mob (no spirit tap up yet) or I was DoT'ing a bunch of mobs.

Is it viable? Yes it is, and possibly faster for the first 20-30 levels or so. After that shadow will start giving you better damage and survivability. If you don't have dual spec, it is also great with the new LFG tool, but as many others have said, you can heal just as well in shadow spec up to the ~50 range as well. You may find it more fun to do a smite build, it's all personal taste. I liked shadow a lot the more I got down the tree, and was amazed at how easily I could solo some 2 and 3 person group quests as a clothie. You just won't have the damage or survivability to do that as a smite spec, but once in OL you will definitely be a better healer as smite.

Again it's viable and will be faster to get groups in LFG, but shadow will definitely pass it in the solo/questing speed and that is where you will get most of your xp. You should definitely be a better healer if you level through LFG and smite. I know I took a little time learning how to heal at 80 because I only did it a few times on the way with my dual spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Underbr
    Hello guys, its viable lvling a prist as a healer?
    Get lvl 15
    Press I and queue for LFG
    Rinse and Repeat until 80
    ?????????????????????
    PROFIT

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel
    Get lvl 15
    ?????????????????????
    PROFIT
    agree i have leveld my shammy this way... alot faster then to do quests

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel
    Get lvl 15
    ?????????????????????
    PROFIT

No.

I leveled my priest at this way :

15-68 Only dungeons, no point at questing - It's FUN, you learn thru your class healing/dps/tank, and meet all the f*cking as*holes, with who you can f*ck with..etc.
    68-70 northrend dungeons till 70, and then pure questing, because north dungeons gives alot less experience, work only for once a day so you can get a 2xtriump marks. And yes - ITS VIABLE.

Just leveled up a priest a few months back , up to mid 60's, as hes been parked ever since.

by level 30, my respec's where a constant 50g. Why? Because I wanted to level shadow SO bad! I had Full Heirloom, and even +30sp to staff. But no matter how much I tied, Holy w/3 points in spirit tap, was just so much better. Like mentioned, mobs die way too fast, and waste soo much mana on dots/bubble/flays. As Holy w/glyphs and such, I'd just bubble/HF/Smite. It was faster, and it was easier on mana. I didn't do any dungeons till OL btw.

I did pick up Duel-Spec @ 40, and switched between Holy & Shadow every level. Shadow didn't start becoming equal till 55. By Early 60's, when I had acquired some better gear, is when shadow really took off.

So to say Shadow is the end-all Beat all choice, is imo, a closed minded opinion. No, 1-55, Holy w/3 in spirit tap wins out. After 60, yeah, Shadow FTW.

And don't get me wrong, Shadow is my favorite spec in game! I'm just not going to blindly argue over the facts or limitations of the spec =\

in short: Yes
    You cannot bandage a bleeding target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    This gets my vote for thread of the month.
    If WoW was "just" a game, you wouldn't be in this forum.