Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Latest Posts" on home page

Instead of taking us to the last post of each thread when clicking on a topic under "Latest Forum Posts" on the main page, take us to the first post.

(yes I understand that it is called "Latest Forum Posts" and by doing what I suggest perhaps it'd have to be renamed to ... "Popular topics" or something)

Most people click on those only because the topic is interesting or caught our eye somehow, and oftentimes threads get derailed quickly. I think it would be more efficient for your guests on this site to take us, instead, to the first post so we can begin from the start and then decide to post a reply after we have read the original post.

If someone decides to go to the latest post in a thread, usually they're already in the subforum and will be directed to the newest post anyway.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Am I just nitpicky?

**example: instead of taking me to http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...?topicseen#new
    it would take me to http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...ns/topic-name/

So the only difference is it would take you to the first instead of newest comment.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Re: Suggestion about main page

I understand what you meant, although I think your example is wrong ( you mean in a thread I would be taken to the first post, like instead of someone going to my post in the "Latest forum posts", they would go to your post).

And I agree, as long as it's only that way in the "Latest forum posts", not when in subforums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    [/COLOR]

Yah, I agree with what you're suggesting aswell. Many times I just click on threads on the main page because the title strikes me as something that I'd like to read, so ya click on the link, then have to travel back to the first page, scroll to the top just to read the start of the thread... It would also prolly help stop the posts from people that clearly only read the latest posts and not the first post and derail topics...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraezy
    Yah, I agree with what you're suggesting aswell. Many times I just click on threads on the main page because the title strikes me as something that I'd like to read, so ya click on the link, then have to travel back to the first page, scroll to the top just to read the start of the thread... It would also prolly help stop the posts from people that clearly only read the latest posts and not the first post and derail topics...
    Exactly! I should have made this into a poll so people could vote just to get an idea on how many people click on the topics off of the main page because it's the topic they're interested in, not the last post of that topic.

For the past few days this has been pissing me off so much I almost started this thread. Thanks for doing that on my behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Only idiots quote themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    For the past few days this has been pissing me off so much I almost started this thread. Thanks for doing that on my behalf.
    Hehe, no problem. Always looking out for others...

agreed

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I agree. I surf the site on my itouch while at work to not be outed as a wow player and it's a pain to wait for the last page to load fully before clicking page 1. QQ it's tough being bored at work
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

I must agree with the OP. There are so many new threads appearing every day and you usualy want to read most of them from the beginning.

Deleted

this has been suggested time and time again...

as much as it is annoying to be sent to the end of every topic, being sent to the start of a topic an having to go to the end each time can also be annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    this has been suggested time and time again...

as much as it is annoying to be sent to the end of every topic, being sent to the start of a topic an having to go to the end each time can also be annoying.
    I imagine that those who want to go to the latest post are already in the subforums to view their own active topics and which ones have new posts. Then they can go to the latest post by clicking the arrow. Most people I know don't want to go to the very last post just by seeing an interesting topic. Rather, they'd want to go to the start to read the post before responding.

100% Agree.
    One has to not only click on the topic, BUT be at the last page at the bottom lol. I could care less about what others say, I want to see the original post Plox fix this
    "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role."

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaseia
    100% Agree.
    One has to not only click on the topic, BUT be at the last page at the bottom lol. I could care less about what others say, I want to see the original post Plox fix this
    I doubt the coding would be hard to do, it's a matter of moderators finding out if it's worthy of a change. Which I think it is

/signed!, from another itouch user.. class gets REAAAAAAALY boring..

I have to agree that if this were implemented, threads would start to crop up about "why can't the links on the front page take us to the latest post, I'm sick of having to click last page too" etc etc.

Implementing both options would be difficult, can't make everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    I have to agree that if this were implemented, threads would start to crop up about "why can't the links on the front page take us to the latest post, I'm sick of having to click last page too" etc etc.

Implementing both options would be difficult, can't make everyone happy.
    While you may make a valid statement, I still have to argue that the majority of folks who click on a thread from the mainpage is due to the fact that the thread TITLE caught their attention. Hence, why should they go to the last page if they really only clicked on it because the topic was interesting to them? Makes no sense.

Going to a Topic from Homepage: Needs to be fixed.

Something that has always annoyed me about mmo and I'm sure has annoyed everyone else is the fact that when you check out a topic and you press it's title to get to it, you are not linked to the first page, to the first post, instead, you are either
    a) linked to a random page on a random post
    b) linked to the last page, to the last post

Do you guys not see the flaw in this? I go to the topic because the title intrigues me, not because I wanna see what ##TrollUser## said on page 3! Why don't you make the link take you to the first page, to the first post, because that is where I'm going to be going anyway, to read the OPs first post. What is the point of a topic? So that the OP can post his initial opinion, thus the first post. What is the point of a reader? To READ the initial opinion, not the random replies or the last reply to a discussion that we don't know about.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

Deleted

Re: Loading New Topic: Needs to be fixed.

Clicking the name of a topic when viewing a forum will take you to the first page, the first post of that topic.

If you mean on the homepage where it says "Latest Posts", you're infact given a list of the latest posts not latest topics. It's not "The first post of the topics where users have last posted in".

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    Clicking the name of a topic when viewing a forum will take you to the first page, the first post of that topic.

If you mean on the homepage where it says "Latest Posts", you're infact given a list of the latest posts not latest topics. It's not "The first post of the topics where users have last posted in".
    Yes, I meant on the homepage where it says "Latest Posts".

A lot of users like to stay on the homepage and refresh it every now and then, because by looking at those topics you have an endless variety of topics to talk about; all about WoW. I know that I don't like sticking myself in the Paladin forums talking with the Paladins all day, or looking in the Raids and Dungeons forums and listening to GS QQ, I (as well as others) like staying on the homepage and checking random topics. Tell me this; on the homepage, where any topic from any subsection of the forum can be highlighted, why would you guys link it to the last post? On the homepage there is the highest possibility that the person on the homepage hasn't read the topic before, because of the amount of random topics that can pop up. So wouldn't we want to read the first post?

It's a big change, I know, but I think it would be better. Just my suggestion ><
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dogpie
    Yes, I meant on the homepage where it says "Latest Posts".

A lot of users like to stay on the homepage and refresh it every now and then, because by looking at those topics you have an endless variety of topics to talk about; all about WoW. I know that I don't like sticking myself in the Paladin forums talking with the Paladins all day, or looking in the Raids and Dungeons forums and listening to GS QQ, I (as well as others) like staying on the homepage and checking random topics. Tell me this; on the homepage, where any topic from any subsection of the forum can be highlighted, why would you guys link it to the last post? On the homepage there is the highest possibility that the person on the homepage hasn't read the topic before, because of the amount of random topics that can pop up. So wouldn't we want to read the first post?

It's a big change, I know, but I think it would be better. Just my suggestion ><
    In my opinion it's very good the way it is now. If I am interested of the first post, I can easily just click the page 1 link to check it out, but usually I am more interested in the latest posts of most threads.