Thread: Disc Priest

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc Priest

First off let me give you brief summary of my character. My priest is specced for Discipline PVE and PVP. I do not play Holy or Shadow at all. My guild does 11/12 icc10 and 7/12 ICC25 weekly, I am always part of both raids. I play arena at 2200~ rating in both 2v2 and 3v3 (So I will be purchasing the 277 Wrathful weapon). I have 170~ frost emblems. I currently have 3 piece healing T10 (One piece dropped from VOA) and 2 piece healing T10 (ilevel 245). My helm is the only Sanctified (ilevel 264) tier piece, my other T10 pieces are my legs and chest (ilevel 251). I have 13% but try to maintain as close to 11% haste as possible.

Question #1
    I am currently using Solace (ilevel 245) + Silver of Pure Ice (ilevel 251). I plan on getting the Althor's Abacus (to replace my Pure Ice) soon, what trinket should I pair my Althor's Abacus with? I might be able to get Heroic Solace but there is a lot of competition for it. Is it worth it to purchase the Lunar badge trinket?

Question #2
    Should I get 4 piece healing T10 or pick up shadow t10 shoulders and Meteor Chaser's badge robe while keeping 2 piece healing T10? If I pick up shadow shoulders + badge robe I will be way over 11% haste, meaning my flash heals are quicker than the GCD when combined with Borrowed Time. I like flash heal play style better but if I choose to start using greater heal isn't the 2 piece healing t10 bonus completely useless? I know spirit is not as good for Disc as it is for Holy but if I'm already above 11% haste is spirit better than haste for flash heal playstyle?

Question #3
    I have the togc10 ilevel 258 cloak with haste + crit should I replace it with the ilevel 264 badge mp5 + crit cloak even though I gain less sp and crit?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Disc Priest

1. abacus sucks, keep the trinkets you have and get the heroic sliver to replace the norm sliver

2. t10 sucks for healing, i dont even have 2 piece anymore because i dont care for it.

3. mp5 sucks
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    1. abacus sucks, keep the trinkets you have and get the heroic sliver to replace the norm sliver

2. t10 sucks for healing, i dont even have 2 piece anymore because i dont care for it.

3. mp5 sucks
    I agree with all that.

3. mp5 sucks
    Abacus is a hell of a lot better than the sliver. It usually counts for 2-4% of my healing on fights, depending on fight length. The silly little mana regen proc from sliver is pointless. The parts about t10 sucking and mp5 sucking are true though. I'm going for all the offpieces from emblems. I play holy/disc so the extra haste has a lot of benefit when im tank healing as disc(for gheals) or switch over to holy for heavy raid healing fights.

1. Since you have lots of EOT, PLD could also be a consideration. Since the SP is the same the comparison is easy. Ones decent mp5 (~65 worth i think(, the others a RNG but probably autopilot heal. It's really a matter of personal preference but I would go for PLD mainly because I dont like RNG. You could also argue the other way round about mp5 not really being worth much.
    2. Like almost everything in this forum everything is subjective, but I would agree here that T10 (both set bonus and some of the stats) is really bad. Do you mean 2Pc T9.245 or 2Pc T10.251? IMO not even 2PC10bonus is worth going for (depending on slot stats may or may not be good)
    3. No comments on the cloak

1.) If you're using a system where you can bid heavy for something, bid heavy on the 258 Solace. Pair that with Althor's. Get Spark of Hope from 10 man Kologarn if possible and use that for the Lich King alongside Solace.

2.) Ignore healing T10, take shadow T10 pieces that lack hit and use those instead as Disc.

3.) Don't waste the badges. There's a haste/crit cloak off Dreamwalker.

So you are all suggesting to get haste + crit pieces. I'm going to stay with the 2 piece healing T10 because the hot is 1.3%~ of my total healing (not including absorbs). Now if I get all the shadow tier pieces my flash heals are going to be under the GCD. Does that mean you are all suggesting I use greater heal as well?

The HoT is an 11% increase to flash heal, but that's somehow a 13% increase to your overall healing? You might have got some random luck to get that result in a fight or two, but thinking that's consistent is foolhardy. And yes, once you reach certain haste values you should be working GH in, either only with BT up, or as your main filler.

Another consideration to add to the mix is that "my flash heals are going to be under the GCD" is only applicable to BT which realistically speaking is not going to be all the time or near all the time

If you understand how 2pc T10 works you will know how clunky it is, but thats just IMO

So I am confused. The disc priest healing t10 pieces are NOT worth having?

Quote Originally Posted by Splewsh
    So I am confused. The disc priest healing t10 pieces are NOT worth having?
    The 2pc is kinda "meh" depending on how much you use flash heal, which shouldn't be much. Its better for Holy.

4pc is terrible, it also forces you to wear a bunch of gear that is poorly itemized for you. Honestly I'd pick up the the two haste/crit shadow pieces since int is your regen stat and it appears on all your gear anyway making spirit pretty weak. Then you have decent gear if you need to dps for any reason! Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Relina
    The 2pc is kinda "meh" depending on how much you use flash heal, which shouldn't be much. Its better for Holy.
    I would say its slightly better for disc, but will still range from "meh" to "terribad" depending on your POV

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elysion
    Abacus is a hell of a lot better than the sliver. It usually counts for 2-4% of my healing on fights, depending on fight length.
    I get that as well, however 4% of a Disc's healing isn't a large sum. As someone (and others) have poined out, Abacus is not a smart heal. I've seen it crit for 8.7~ on a full health target, because of this I've been considering trying Purified Lunar, but I'd really really rather Heroic Solace dropped (fingers crossed).

Yes, the Priest Healing T10 is pretty sucky for Disc.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    The HoT is an 11% increase to flash heal, but that's somehow a 13% increase to your overall healing? You might have got some random luck to get that result in a fight or two, but thinking that's consistent is foolhardy. And yes, once you reach certain haste values you should be working GH in, either only with BT up, or as your main filler.
    ... when tank healing (worth mentionning it since using GH as a filler when DPS spot would result in worthless overheal)

And yes, T10 2P poor set bonus is not worth the stat losses as a disc. For now (since i'm still desperately hopping havinf heroic 258 T9 shoulders and heands) my trend would be : try to keep 2p T9 bonus which is really a huge huge gain as disc (holy as well but PoM is one of our strongest heal by the end of the raid), and for the rest : go shadow T10 without hit and offtiers pieces with the better stats for you.

If you prefer crit and do not want to up haste this is your choice. But my advice would be to raise it as others have said before. Hasted GH is really our strongest weapon when big hits fall on the tank.

3. mp5 sucks
    This! And most of all when posting first about raiding, focus on that, most people don't care what your arena rating is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    Also, everything Misume said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If you don't want to reposition rotationally, don't main a Havoc Demon Hunter.

Two Piece as Discipline is amazing if you're not purely shielding.

Yeah. 4 piece T10 for Disc completey sucks. If there is enough healing required on the tanks to make use of the proc on it, something is seriously wrong with the other healers.

T10 2 set is a bit meh unless you are a Flasher. But TBH, I don't have it now and I'm doing fine. So I won't be actively shopping for 2 set T10 either. Disc kinda got screwed with T10.

I am aiming for the Shadow Helm and Chest since they are far better itemised for Discipline. Plus, you don't have to buy 2 robes If you gem appropriately. Shadow Shoulders are nicely itemised for Disc too...

As for the trinkets. I don't really need the MP5 from the Sliver (I use it atm) so I am likely to replace with the Abacus when I get chance. I also have PLD too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

15+ Year Old Account

i regret buying pants and shoulders...ive since bought chest shoulders and after next week will have enough for head as well
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    I get that as well, however 4% of a Disc's healing isn't a large sum. As someone (and others) have poined out, Abacus is not a smart heal. I've seen it crit for 8.7~ on a full health target, because of this I've been considering trying Purified Lunar, but I'd really really rather Heroic Solace dropped (fingers crossed).

Yes, the Priest Healing T10 is pretty sucky for Disc.
    Most of the time, when my abacus goes off, if the heal that triggered it is anywhere near someone with lower hp, it will fire off on them. Of course it will overheal a lot over time due to the fact that its procrate is so high and there wont always be a lot of raid damage going on. Also, I'm talking about 4+% of my healing on Worldoflogs, where shields count as total healing done, and that makes it much more significant than if i was readying 4% off of recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysion
    Most of the time, when my abacus goes off, if the heal that triggered it is anywhere near someone with lower hp, it will fire off on them. Of course it will overheal a lot over time due to the fact that its procrate is so high and there wont always be a lot of raid damage going on. Also, I'm talking about 4+% of my healing on Worldoflogs, where shields count as total healing done, and that makes it much more significant than if i was readying 4% off of recount.
    You must have been lucky then because (I had to check) our last raid my Abacus did 2.4% of my total healing. And that is around where it usually is.

Still, I'm glad to have a trinket that do add random heals that is 2.4% of my healing done when the other option had been mana regen that I do not need.

Anyway, to the OP:

I use Althor's Abacus and PLD and it works well for me. I'd prefer the heroic Sliver instead of PLD though but so far we haven't come that far to be able to do Marrowgar on heroic and the 'good' group in my guild usually start 10m raids at times I can't. Having 2 * 179 spell power on the trinkets is nice since that is the only thing that boosts the shields.

I did fuck it up with my T10 though. I bought the healing shoulders early and kind of regret it afterwards but when the option to buy a new piece arrived not long ago I did buy the head piece as well for the bonus. While the stats on the helmet isn't perfect it still was a really nice stat boost compared to my old T9 helmet (same stats, just higher). So far I haven't had the opportunity to raid with my new set bonus to evaluate how much healing it does.

For keeping T9 2pc bonus... I went to check some backlogs on our raids before or after I split the set bonus to compare but it's hard to tell how much it have affected anything. Some raids it did around the same amount of my healing done (in %) with and without it. I think the overhealing the spell does has gone down some though. Take that with a grain of salt. It might as well be total randomness from the encounters... or other healers that have started to heal better or anything really.