Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Its viable lvling as healer???

Hello guys, its viable lvling a prist as a healer?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Its viable lvling as healer???

It used to be pretty slowly, but certainly doable. Now with the Dungeon Finder it's pretty easy. Even at lower levels healers (and tank) have low queues.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted

Just level in dungeons and it will go faster then a DPS doing quests.

Will have to agree with what most people would say.

Dungeon system makes healer-leveling a piece of pie.

And if you don't want to do dungeons, you can do BG's. Just putting that out there. It'll also give you marks... and with enough marks you can get a mount which maybe you know maybe you don't. All very nice for leveling.

It is but its nowhere near as effecient as shadow and in this day and age of dual spec I have no idea why people would want to level in a non damage spec.

You don't actually need any healing talents to heal dungeons until lvl 60 or so. No matter how decent leveling in a healing spec is, leveling in shadow is quicker. And the huge survivability of shadow makes soloing group quests that much easier.

Completely disagree with shadow is faster. I've leveled three priests now, and going the smite spam disc/holy spec is by far the fastest route. It also doubles as a healer spec so you get the best of both worlds.

Garbage... you do less damage in holy... no replenishment, and poor survivability compared to the alternative...

You might argue you can heal yourself better which is true and I guess tahts survivability but i'd like to know how you're killing that group quest mob while healing yourself... shadow's 15% less damage taken, healing while dpsing, replenishment and then nifty abilities like silence and psychic horror later on make it far superior.

Pre haste gearing in Shadowform (because all that magical haste spontaneously appears while levelling, amirite?) your DoT ticks are slow, and spread out. Replenishment doesn't even kick in until at least 51, so you can't really quote that as a reason to "level shadow".

Survival talents are split between the two, and having a stronger Reflective shield means less healing and more free damage anyways.

All of Shadow's "nifty abilities" don't come into effect until later, Group Quests are completely optional (and you'll still die as Shadow infact some might say even more so), so the point still stands that time engaged on each mob is shorter with a Smite hybrid, whereas Shadow can tab-dot multi-targets generally faster but each is alive longer (and swinging more often) while each loses their health slowly.

Plus, Smite gives you comfortability with healing. Sure you can heal as Shadow, and it's viable, but I find one gets a stronger feel for it as Discipline and/or Holy.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I would say yeah, roll disco cause i believe if u cant find ques disco still puts out some decent damage for questing (if your playing at ungodly hrs) til higher levels then u might wna duel spec
    If the Tank dies its the healers fault, if the healer dies its the tanks fault, If the dps dies, its the Dps' fault
    Altoholic-Main Holy/retatidn

Healing dungeons for lvling is awsome.
    And think of the posibilities - if the party has idiots you can let them die ;D
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

My friend is lvling prot thru instances and hes in love with it. So yeh its viable once you get to do instances

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus
    no it won't. With the heirlooms and the buff to quest experience in patch 2.X the amount of exp you get for questing is pretty much and is far more then just instances grinding

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus
    No.

It's EXTREMELY slower in BC/Wotlk dungeons too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Pre haste gearing in Shadowform (because all that magical haste spontaneously appears while levelling, amirite?) your DoT ticks are slow, and spread out. Replenishment doesn't even kick in until at least 51, so you can't really quote that as a reason to "level shadow".

Survival talents are split between the two, and having a stronger Reflective shield means less healing and more free damage anyways.

All of Shadow's "nifty abilities" don't come into effect until later, Group Quests are completely optional (and you'll still die as Shadow infact some might say even more so), so the point still stands that time engaged on each mob is shorter with a Smite hybrid, whereas Shadow can tab-dot multi-targets generally faster but each is alive longer (and swinging more often) while each loses their health slowly.

Plus, Smite gives you comfortability with healing. Sure you can heal as Shadow, and it's viable, but I find one gets a stronger feel for it as Discipline and/or Holy.
    Sorry... next you'll tell me shaman should level as resto and holy pallys are quicker to level... this is where your love for a spec gets the best of you. Any class in the game will level quicker in a dps spec than a healing spec... this is due to the fact that higher damage leads to quicker XP gain.

I'm also highly skeptical that holy can provide better DPM than shadow... i'd go as far to say it can't which means shadow will have far less downtime.

It's viable. If you go full holy or full discipline it will be slow. But if you go with Smite Holy/Disc hybrid spec it will be a lot faster. This hybrid usually looks something like xx/27/3. See my sig or harky's sticky regarding leveling for more details.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Hmmm, this depends on YOUR definition of viable.

I´d say yes, it can work and it will work. There may even be moments where you can do things alone as a healer which you may not be able to solo as e.G. shadow.
    Cant think of something right now but well it may be.

But still even iv viable, in my eyes its just unbearable.

just find a friend who likes tanking or likes the idea of some class that can tank. Group with him, maybe another dps friend.
    you roll disco
    join LFG and /lol at how fast it is

If you are a competant healer you will find that most groups stay together just for ease of use and fast lvling, i must of spammed like 10 tries in a row in rfc last night, but i hit 20 in less than 6 hours played so its not all bad

Just did it on my priest (dual spec shadow/disc). It's very viable, and honestly the most fun i've had leveling a toon... ever.

Did 1-60 questing, 60-72 RDF, 72-76 mix of pvp/RDF/questing, 76-79 questing and 79-80 RDF.

From 76-80, it didn't matter what I did... it was still ~3hrs/level (call me slow or whatever)

Buy dual spec at 40.

I'm currently leveling a resto druid. I stopped questing at 40 and currently am at 66. I hop on him and run randoms until I level, which is around 3-4. 2 more levels, and I will have completely skipped Outland. It does get boring after a while, but meh, so does questing. If I get too bored, I just que as boomkin and dps. If you are going 1-80 with no 80's, questing will most likely be better for you.