Poll: what do you think takes more skill. pvp or pve

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

POLL: what is harder. pvp or pve

everybody has asked this question, argued about it, and gotten mad about it. but what takes more individual player skill. high end arena, or end game raid progression. this means knowing your class, knowing your enemys/groups class, knowing when to do all your stuff. ( cd, rotation, gtfo-ing fire, etc...). and basic knowledge of the game. you can get carried in both, to a certian extent (imo).

and also, whybdo you think your choice was harder?

imo pvp is harder. you need to know your class better, know how to survive on your class, need to know the right time to use cds, and its way harder than standing around with a 3 button, rinse and repeat rotation.

Deleted

Re: what is harder. pvp or pve

People tend to think of normal modes and dungeons as PvE, and therefore everyone makes the assumption "pvp is for skilled". But honestly, Hard Mode content really does require much more skill in Icecrown, the Lich King fight puts you on your toes constantly even on normal mode.

For PvE for instance: I have almost every single ability bound to my mouse, getting off Interrupts at the optimal time, using Nitro Boosts the very second I get aggro, using Cobalt Frag Bombs (taking advantage of the interrupt for adds), Shield Walling on encounter mechanics (and for overaggros, insane reaction needed for harder bosses though or they'll one shot you before you can get it up), trying to calculate the length of the fight and calculating when to time your cooldowns with each other to produce the best results, all take time and practice - PvE is by no means, sitting there following a 3 button rotation. If it were that easy, we'd all have downed Lich King by now.

I think both aspects of the game have different play styles. Trying to answer your question would be like saying "Which group of people are more skilled, people who play Third Person Shooters, or First Person Shooters?". It proves very little.

Also: Because you posted this in the PvP forum. Your poll is automatically biased.

Re: POLL: what is harder. pvp or pve

IMO for PvE you need to know your class. For PvP you need to know your class and all those other classes you face.

Also even in middle rated PvP you will have to react much faster, dont get me wrong, but you always know what boss X will do @ certain time, and opponents in arena can surprise you in a number of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyciphur
    IMO for PvE you need to know your class. For PvP you need to know your class and all those other classes you face.

Also even in middle rated PvP you will have to react much faster, dont get me wrong, but you always know what boss X will do @ certain time, and opponents in arena can surprise you in a number of ways.
    there are no mods to tell you what players are going to do next.

and.... just because i posted this thread in pvp forum, doesnt mean i voted pvp. raiding takes alot more organising, and being mean to the fail dps in the group. ( i dont like being mean ).

I think it depends on what aspect of pve you are comparing it too.

Solo Pve, 5 mans, heroics, and etc? Pvp is harder.

Raids and their aspects? Pve is harder.

I think that it requires more individual skill to be an amazing pvper than to succeed in pve. While in hard modes/2600+ PvP both require great reactions and awareness, pve is more lenient in a player error. A wrong move in both can result in your death, but in pve your raid still has a fairly decent chance to succeed. However, once you go down in pvp, it's 9/10 times over.

So, for personal skill and coordination, PvP.
    If you do not have all players on your skill level, pve becomes harder.

Playing against a human opponent will always be harder than playing against a computer opponent.

Raid bosses are made with the intention of being defeated, your PvP opponents aren't.

Your question is far too broad.
    You could consider pvp harder because it requires more dexterity, split second thinking, and good timing
    You could consider pve harder because it requires more planning and preparation than pvp, and when you are fighting a boss with many mechanics, such as Mimiron or The Lich King, it is overwhelming, and easy to forget what you have to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moaradin
    What do you do when you see a Xbox 360? You turn 360.2 durr

I think that they are both equally as hard. PvP requires high amount of skill knowing your class and all others(Which is hard if you have no alts :-\). PvP also requires you to expect the unexpected, in PvE you know exactly when a boss is going to use a spell or something of the sort. PvP also requires a lot of moving around the room and knowing were you and your opponent stand.

On the other hand PvE can be very hard and annoying. (I am talking about HARDmodes) In PvE you have to find groups of 10 - 25 competent players, you also have to make sure that everyone knows what they are doing, has good gear ,and isn't mentally ill. In PvP you only need 1-4 other players that know what they are doing and you usually are always with them so it is a lot easier that way. PvE like PvP requires you to know where you are as well, sometimes more then PvP (LK).

I really think that PvP and PvE are equally hard and people should stop raging about it and go to bed ;D

Sorry about my bad english its not my first language.

http://www.sassygoatmilksoap.com/

Make sure once your on to listen a bit for the song!

Quote Originally Posted by gemuadrken
    and.... just because i posted this thread in pvp forum, doesnt mean i voted pvp. raiding takes alot more organising, and being mean to the fail dps in the group. ( i dont like being mean ).
    Sadly, times when PvP was 1v1 and lone rogue class heroes were running here and there soloing 5+ ppl are long gone. Nowadays you have to pick a partner or 2(or even 4) for any challenging pvp. And finding people of even equal skill to go to 2k is troublesome. Good thing if you got someone who you know will play well, even better if you're able pvp healer, as there are alot more of DPS classes searching for their holyboys. But generally, I can tell you that organising a good 5v5 team can be as stressful and hard as organising 40man raid (did both, really prefer organising raids over pvp).

Besides I wouldnt considered 'alot more organising' as a difficulty aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by kriissii1
    You could consider pve harder because it requires more planning and preparation than pvp, and when you are fighting a boss with many mechanics, such as Mimiron or The Lich King, it is overwhelming, and easy to forget what you have to do.
    Its Quite hard to prepare for arena its not like its set that this match ur up against BeastCleave so now bring more survival/dmg gear.

And Besides Running a 2's is mutch easier then all PvE HardModes, Tho When it comes to 3's and 5's against some of the best players its not going to be easy to predict what the outcome of everything is going to be besides.
    Cordinating a 5v5 arena team is as good as Hell.
    Good Timed Fears followed by blinds on etc target and such is going to be alot more harder to cordinatate becouse you will never know when X target is going to use something making him unable to CC so CCing in 5s req good cordination and good teamplay.

Also PvE vs PvP Threads are stupid becouse Doing HardModes like LK and such is allways going to be challanging, The aspect of people standing if fire is just to common.
    Jacquel is
    The Real On Use Bubble Leak Evaluation!

most people look at the execution side to determine which is harder. and on that side i agree that for the most part PvP is more challenging. however numbers wise i think fewer people get to kill the "hard" bosses (mimi hard pre nerf, yogg-3, etc before you can outgear it) then those that achive the highest grade of PvP(glad titles and drakes).

but from an organisational standpoint PvE wins hands down every time. in order to properly organise a 25 man raiding guild to do weekly succesful raids you need atleast 35 people who are capable to raid with you. the struggle comes from what happens when 32 people are on? who do you chose? how do you keep everyone happy?

the answer isnt as simple as well johnny does better then billy so fuck billy he sucks. tomorrow you might HAVE to take billy because johnny isnt on. and what if when you said fuck billy he said fuck you right back and left. now you cant raid at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

skill for who?

obviously it's gonna take a lot more coordination to get 25 ppl to do the right things at the right time than say a 2v2 arena match... but the "easy" part about PVE is bosses are predictable... you watch vids, study strats, and u know what's gonna happen before it happens... And like always, after the first few kills, that boss is now easy mode.

PvP on the other hand changes in a second... Is that druid resto or boomkin? Is that Shaman ele or resto and hasn't put earthshield on anyone yet? Is the priest disc or will he pop into shadow form? On top of that you can't predict what the other player will do... sure, u know what they can do (or at least I hope u do if you're pvping) but you don't know when. You also have other things, like a druid shifting out of tree 1/2 through a banish cast, or shifting to cat 1/2 through a mana burn (I love doing that btw).

So as far as a players skill? You could teach a monkey to hit 1234 in a certain rotation and to hit w when the screen flashes red... But being able to think on ur feet whether you have time to cast Nourish to keep ur dps alive or if you have to blow natures swiftness for an instant healing touch requires much, much more "skill"

Hm... The question is about "Skill"... Well, nearly everyone understands something different under this term, I'd say. So I have to clarify, what it means to me, to make my answer valid:

For me, skill is something you can only train to a certain extent. It makes you react faster or more intelligent on certain situations.

In my opinion, PVP needs more skill in general. But broken down, there are several levels in PvE:

- (A) Organizing a high end Raid
    - (B) Leading a high end Raid (In an encounter)
    - (C) Playing in a high end Raid.

Whereas I only see two categories in PVP:

- (X) Playing in high end Arena
    - (Y) Leading a Battleground

Well, you usually don't lead a Battleground that much, since in a premade with at least some organization you usually win. But I hope this changes with cataclysm

So, my list looks like this in terms of skill:

1. (B) Leading a high end Raid (In an encounter)
    1. (X) Playing in high end Arena
    4. (C) Playing in a high end Raid
    3. (A) Organizing a high end Raid
    5. (Y) Leading a Battleground

(B) and (X) tie, simply because you need a lot but also very different skills. Sure, (A) requires a huge effort, but I don't place "skill" there.

As a hunter, PVP is way more difficult than endgame raiding.

Even in the so called epic raids, most of the times I just stand there nuking my rotation, not caring what else is happening. Sometimes I have to step out of the fire, sometimes I need to free a webbed/spiked/whatevered partymember, but that's about it.

I can understand that certain classes have a different view on this, but for hunters it's clear as water: Pvp is harder.

15+ Year Old Account

Harder: staying off this game.

Personally, I would analogize WoW to sports.

PvE to one dimensional sports such as those found in track and field, swimming, weight lifting and etc.

PvP to multi-dimensional games where every move is made in response to the opponents. (Tennis, badminton, soccer, football, basketball etc)

Why do I say this:

For PvE, the planning and set-up of the raid is akin to that of the single-mindedness of sports such as running and swimming, where all you have to do is what you have practiced millions of times over, and do it well.

It doesn't matter what the adversary does, you just have to outdo yourself.

PvP, on the other hand, can easily be compared to racket sports/ball sports. And I quote "the ball is round". Everything and anything can happen, and you have to react accordingly. You may win one round against the same opponents, and lose 5 times in a row straight after, even if you outplay them, simply due to RNG.

What makes arena PvP hard is how reaction-based it is, and how you have to learn to counter every of your opponent's moves to win.

Long story short; PvE - proper planning and flawless execution. PvP - versatility and speed.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Skultharion
    PvE to one dimensional sports such as those found in track and field, swimming, weight lifting and etc.
    I'd only agree with this in the situation where you already have an encounter's strategy down.
    There are things you can react to in PvE encounters that may lesser your margin for error(such as a Pally BoPing a DPS that got aggro), but essentially it's execution and hoping and praying your raid members can do the same.

PvP is more reflex and knowledge of combos, counter-combos and class skills and spells, as well as positioning and awareness.

PvE doesn't get hard 'til Hardmodes, PvP doesn't get hard 'til 2k rating (even that's questionable for some classes/specs due to fotm being fotm). They require a kind of different skill and experience. Throw a PvPer into a PvE encounter he's never done before, he'll fail, through a lifelong Raider into an arena match at high rating, he'll fail.

The lifelong arguement of PvE vs. PvP is redundant anyway, I just like pretending people give a crap about my opinion, so I'll throw it out there.

well what is harder?

doing bosses that are scripted and acting always the same, or beating players that are intelligent (well at least some of them in this game)?

pve only say pvp is easy, because they can destroy noobs in bgs pretty well with their gear.

Alot of the best players in the world are also the best PvP'ers because they have to generate all sorts of awareness in PvP and it carries over to PvE, same applies to class mechanics.