15+ Year Old Account

[Ele PvE] Major dps issues

I'm currently in a 11/12 icc 10/25 guild, and I have an issue with my dps. While standing still I'm doing fine, but as soon as i start moving, I'm falling behind like crazy. My guess is that I'm losing out on lightning bolts not being cast while moving. (Due to the longer cast time) I would appreciate any tips & tricks you might have to boost my dps. I'm currently using a FS -> LvB -> CL -> LB and CL on cooldown rotation, my mana is fine, though i need to use the low mana rotation while thunderstorming once in a while.

This is my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...onic&gn=Plague

Re: [Ele PvE] Major dps issues

First things first, Are you on ToW duty or not? Cause that's usually the biggest issue.
    Secondly, 415 hit rating? Why not get t10 chest instead of the head or shoulders?
    Thirdly, what's with those bracers? I'd get the craftable ones from Tailoring asap if I were you.

Also, your mana is supposedly fine according to you, but having to Thunderstorm to keep it flowing isn't really worth it unless you're doing it on the move or aoeing. And when that's the case, wouldn't it be better to spend your talent points in Improved Fire Nova rather than Convection as well?

PS: Your cloak isn't enchanted.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm not on ToW duty. I'm currently switching out the excess hit for haste/crit gear. I switched out the head and shoulders first because i had gotten the rest as t9.25. Those bracers are shitty and will be switched out asap. Cloak not being enchanted is just an oversight. About the thunderstorming, when i hit around 10% mana (If I do) I'll start using a FS-LvB-LB rotation while thunderstorming on cd to get back some mana.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tsundere
    First things first, Are you on ToW duty or not? Cause that's usually the biggest issue.
    Secondly, 415 hit rating? Why not get t10 chest instead of the head or shoulders?
    Thirdly, what's with those bracers? I'd get the craftable ones from Tailoring asap if I were you.

Also, your mana is supposedly fine according to you, but having to Thunderstorm to keep it flowing isn't really worth it unless you're doing it on the move or aoeing. And when that's the case, wouldn't it be better to spend your talent points in Improved Fire Nova rather than Convection as well?

PS: Your cloak isn't enchanted.
    Nailed it!
    You really need to drop some hit, remember that you need 17% spell hit, and you get 3% from your spec, and probably 3% in at least your 25 man raids if there's a shadow priest or a boomkin in the raid.
    With all the movement in ICC fights I would also suggest buying the new Totem with frost emblems, the buff lasts for 30 seconds and it gets refreshed on flame shock CD.
    Also make sure that you're using your Elemental Mastery on CD except when Blood lust is up, since your lightning bolts will probably go below the GCD with your haste levels.
    Your spec is right, just move 2 points from convection to Improved Fire nova and use Fire Nova, Thunderstorm and refresh your Flame shock when you're moving so you're at least doing some damage. (all these have low range so don't stand too far from the boss)
    Waiting to see whether or not you're on ToW duty to give some more feedback :P

P.S. Hey Tsundere... <3 the taiga sig :P

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonic
    I'm not on ToW duty.
    Awesome, then you are lucky enough to be able to do good dps >.>
    First of all, Fire Ele totem is your greatest DPS increase, if you combine it with BL you're going to be putting out some good numbers ^^.
    When Fire Ele is not up or you're waiting to pop BL, keep your searing totem up 100% of the time, and if you're moving it's usually a dps increase to refresh your totem instead of using FS/Thunderstorm or fire nova, this of course depends on the totem remaining duration and whether or not you're going to be moving before it will despawn so you can refresh it while moving.

I'm not sure how else I can help you, but if you got more questions I can probably assist you some :P

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Forgot to add: Do you know your CLs casting speed while raid buffed? it might be < GCD or getting pretty close to it, if so then it's a DPS loss to use it in your rotation, unless there's more than1 target to hit. And when you're using Elemental Mastery or while BL is up it's clearly under the GCD so don't use it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jpkto
    Forgot to add: Do you know your CLs casting speed while raid buffed? it might be < GCD or getting pretty close to it, if so then it's a DPS loss to use it in your rotation, unless there's more than1 target to hit. And when you're using Elemental Mastery or while BL is up it's clearly under the GCD so don't use it.
    That I did not know, thanks for that point :P I've been keeping searing totem up, but I'm not using fire nova due to the short range, hence the lack of imp fire nova.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonic
    That I did not know, thanks for that point :P I've been keeping searing totem up, but I'm not using fire nova due to the short range, hence the lack of imp fire nova.
    That's fine imo, there really aren't too many boss fights in Icc where you'll need too much aoe. The talent is useful if you're on the run and your shock is on CD and you have nothing else to cast however. Just try to pick good positions from the beginning of the fight (and even during!). For example last night i was still able to do good dps on putricide by getting to my spots on each slime spawn early so I didn't have to move later

Positioning, positioning, positioning.

Wait for bloodlust/trinkets stacks/potions (maybe certain procs as well) to be up and then use your Fire Ele.

PS: MOVING SUCKS. =( Really more of a personal thought than a tip...

Elemental shaman really have a limited amount of options when it comes to moving so it does drop our dps quite a bit. Best option really is to make sure you have to move as little as possible. Watch your positioning carefully. Plan what you are going to have to do and position yourself accordingly.

It really depends on a few things. I know you will get sh*t for it, but going in with melee if your group can handle it will improve DPS to a good degree. Also, as other people had mentioned, try rotating around some points in your spec. If you are able to get within 10-15y of a boss, any movement can then be used to Frost Shock (assuming you have 4pT10 or plans to get it...I usually do this to get in the habit for the future). Using Fire Nova during movement, refreshing Water Shield, using Thunderstorm, etc...save these for movements, as well as re-dropping Searing Totem. Do what you can to not cast CL during part of your normal rotation, and use it for movement, along with the above listed things, seeing how it should be a 1.0 or 1.1 second cast for you while raid buffed.

While you do not have a lot of DPS options, wisely using your time will increase your GCD down time when standing still. Every encounter has something you can do to prevent non casting time while standing, and using those instants and such during movement. What minor DPS increase it is, it is still a DPS increase. I know personally, a lot of fights in ICC all come down to proper positioning. I very rarely have to move in any fight, and when I do, I take the time to use some sort of spell that will boost my DPS while standing still (using TS, refreshing Searing Toems, or Water Shield prevent me from doing those things while I could be casting).

IMO, using this spec:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...Wz,U9a3O,11403
    Is probably the way to go. You can always swap those 3 points out of "Convection" and into "Eye of the Storm" if you feel you are getting too much pushback (I personally am not noticing any, but every group/person is different).

Also, what people said above about gear changes = Yes!

replace your pants and change your rotation,
    stop using chain lightning on single target unless its to smooth rotation when lvb is about to get off cd,
    you can get 5 points out of convection and put 3 in elemantal warding
    cus after all dead dps doesnt do dps,
    and icc has alot of raid dmg.
    last 2 points put in improved fire nova

now for the movment fights can u give me example of what fight u mean putricide or somthing else ?
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.