Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Overwriting your dot at beginning and end of Blust?

It seems logical to me that when a lust is called for you should overwrite your existing VT and DP on your primary target.

Through a couple weeks of testing I've found that the last few seconds of lust tick off while I have a few ticks left of both dots.

My question is this:
    Does it make sense to overwrite your existing dot with fresh casts in the last second to extend your lusted period?

It sure seems like it would

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Overwriting your dot at beginning and end of Blust?

Not too sure about this, I remember hearing the locks talk about this on vent. (trying to get some free posts here :P )
    Doesn't your current haste affect the dots on target compared to crit, which only affects the dot at the time it's being used? (Not too sure if I made myself clear there, I can show you an example if it's confusing)

In warlock land, DoTs affected by haste are refreshed to current values upon every tick. DoTs affected by crit "roll" with your crit at cast time, subsequent refreshes (via pandemic, NOT by overwriting manually) will roll that crit value indefinitely as long as the original Corruption stays up.

While this is specific to warlocks, blizz has said the reasoning is specific to the way things are calculated in-game. Therefore, this logic is probably not limited to just warlock mechanics, but would affect most dots.

So to answer your question, in theory, it won't matter. If you recast something with 1s of bloodlust left, it will only benefit from 1s of bloodlust, i.e. before the first tick.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, or read thru pages on Elitist Jerks if you want a math-supported-by-parses definitive answer.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by borelock

So to answer your question, in theory, it won't matter. If you recast something with 1s of bloodlust left, it will only benefit from 1s of bloodlust, i.e. before the first tick.
    This is the priest forums.

From what I understand, if you cast it with 1s left on BL(VT and DP that is) the haste will stay on for the full duration, until you recast it.

That said, I'd like to know if it's best to recast during BL too, it's something I've been wondering for a while.

15+ Year Old Account

why would you not recast during bloodlust...do you just let dot's fall off for 30 seconds or something?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    why would you not recast during bloodlust...do you just let dot's fall off for 30 seconds or something?
    Read the title, Overwriting current dots, not recasting after fall off.

I personally have seen it to be a dps boost to override current at beginning and end(the dot duration is very short anyways, so ull be putting up unhasted ones again like 3-5 seconds

I could be totally wrong here, but as I understood it bloodlust does not actually grant you 30% more haste it just make your casts 30% faster. Since your 2 dots are effected by haste and bloodlust doesn't grant you haste, they tick at the same rate for the duration of bloodlust.
    I would suggest overwriting your dots would have little effect and would probably be a DPS loss due to clipping ticks.

As I said I could be totally wrong so the easy way to test this is to check your haste rating when a shaman gives you bloodlust. If your haste rating goes up then it would be a good idea to overwrite your 2 dots once just after bloodlust and once more just before it finishes. If it stays the same, leave them be and refresh them as normal.

15+ Year Old Account

pretty sure my dots were ticking faster with BL up, at least it felt like i was recasting them a lot more.

my post above was directed at seam
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

dots tick faster with blust

The do tick faster, there's no debate there.
    The question is, do they continue to tick at their hasted speed after blust is over or do they mirror your current haste value at all times?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt
    The do tick faster, there's no debate there.
    The question is, do they continue to tick at their hasted speed after blust is over or do they mirror your current haste value at all times?
    they continue ticking w/ bloodlust speed until they fall off

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pure
    I could be totally wrong here, but as I understood it bloodlust does not actually grant you 30% more haste it just make your casts 30% faster. Since your 2 dots are effected by haste and bloodlust doesn't grant you haste, they tick at the same rate for the duration of bloodlust.
    I would suggest overwriting your dots would have little effect and would probably be a DPS loss due to clipping ticks.

As I said I could be totally wrong so the easy way to test this is to check your haste rating when a shaman gives you bloodlust. If your haste rating goes up then it would be a good idea to overwrite your 2 dots once just after bloodlust and once more just before it finishes. If it stays the same, leave them be and refresh them as normal.

Yes totally wrong, it provides 30% haste that is multiplactive with your haste rating and raid haste buffs... short answer is it reduces the duration of VT and DP.

However I don't think it's worth overwriting existing DoTs... the remaining duration, the next due tick as well as sp procs or haste procs currently on the dots will all determine whether you should or shouldn't... it's too hard to understand every time whether you should and to that end don't bother.

Particularly VT, its duration is about 10 seconds for me these days, even if BL was popped just after im not losing much time.

i always refresh my dots when bloodlust goes up
    but more importantly, shadowfiending before bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago View Post
    I'll take a full glass and drink it entirely. Don't drink half of your drink thinking it will make something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Morv
    i always refresh my dots when bloodlust goes up
    Doing so probably results in a DPS loss more than a DPS gain... of course as I said earlier it will depend on procs applicable to current dot applications, time remaining and time remaining to the scheduled next tick... basically the stars have to align before overwriting the DoT becomes worthwhile... so in most circumstances this type of practice isn't a good idea.

Take a dot that has 2 ticks left in duration and you overwrite the dot the moment before its 2nd last tick was about to take place... you lose out on 1 tick + a GCD to gain very little.

I'd suggest don't worry about it, any impact on your DPS by this practice will be unnoticed and there is no DPS encounter in the game tuned to such crazy damage maximisation.

The DPS you gain by recasting VT/DP will realisticly never be more than the dps lost due to wasted global cooldowns. In those 2 global cooldowns you could have instead got 4 ticks of Mind flay off.

If you recast VT/DP at the start and end of bloodlust, you will likely get 2 more ticks off of each of them, but lose 3 full mind flays casts. 2 ticks of each dot is maybe 10-15k more damage from dots, but losing 3 flays is probably 20-30k damage lost. You're just making things more complex on yourself, and hurting your dps in the process.

Thank you all for your input.

Summary:
    • Overwriting your dots is an option but can cause an overall loss in DPS
    • A casted dot at the end of bloodlust will retain its hasted effect after lust has ended
    • More important than getting your dots up during lust is making sure that your fiend is popped right before its cast. Have your raid leader or shaman do some form of countdown before lust goes off.
    • Our rotation is complex enough already. It may not be worth the mental anguish to monkey with it to squeeze out an extra 300 dps during blust

Quote Originally Posted by daenerys
    The DPS you gain by recasting VT/DP will realisticly never be more than the dps lost due to wasted global cooldowns. In those 2 global cooldowns you could have instead got 4 ticks of Mind flay off.

If you recast VT/DP at the start and end of bloodlust, you will likely get 2 more ticks off of each of them, but lose 3 full mind flays casts. 2 ticks of each dot is maybe 10-15k more damage from dots, but losing 3 flays is probably 20-30k damage lost. You're just making things more complex on yourself, and hurting your dps in the process.
    2 gcd's, i manage to fit them both into one

smash buttons faster!

Smashing buttons faster does not make your GCD shorter, but what you may be talking about is doing DP right after your VT cast is finished, but that is in no way 1 gcd, Seeing as how once you do DP you get another GCD it's still 2 gcd's.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor
    Smashing buttons faster does not make your GCD shorter, but what you may be talking about is doing DP right after your VT cast is finished, but that is in no way 1 gcd, Seeing as how once you do DP you get another GCD it's still 2 gcd's.
    meh the gcd for casting vt is over b4 it even goes off, so I only consider it 1