Leveling a noob warrior

Was just wondering if leveling as prot and doing random dungeons is the fastest way to level or is leveling as one of the dps specs and doing quests while waiting for a random group would be faster...if it's the dps route what spec would be the fastest and why? Didn't really look for a post like this so if there is already a post of this sorts then by all means toss me a link to it lol...thanks :P

Re: Leveling a noob warrior

Prot would be great for levelling, minimal dmg, very high dmg output, get a sheild, a slow mh, and watch the exp roll in 8)

Last time I checked there wasn't an heirloom shield right? And I know there's a slow mh heirloom weapon if I'm not mistaken

Levelling as Prot should be plain-sailing.
    Queues should be almost always instant and questing in the meantime will be easy.

No there's no Heirloom shield but there are quite a few shields available from instances, I think the first decent one is from SFK and there's a nice one from SM.

Yea I'm leveling as arms ATM and it's slow and boring tbh lol...I'll give prot a try

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

You won't have a lot of the great tanking talents for a bit. You should be able to always find an appropriate shield in the dungeons you do. You'll get in dungeon almost instantly as a tank, so won't be much time for questing.

Lol I hate questing anyways and it'd be good to level as prot seeing as I wanna make him a tank at 80 anyways so...good practice

Deleted

I lvl as Arms, tank as arms with 1h and shield (usually try keep as much updated as possible)

Glyph of cleaving and thunderclap.
    Use said abilities, specc prot. Totally enjoyable experience, my fourth tank.

10+ Year Old Account

Been levelling my Warrior as Protection in Dungeons ever since level 15, and loved it. Though I got my Fury off-spec at level 40 which I did use sometimes (especially during Outland questing), I liked Protection even more. Ever since I came to Northrend at level 68 I've been using my Protection spec for questing and was suprised by the high damage output (I expected my damage being low since I specialized in survivability, but it seems I had both).

Protection Warrior FTW, the second-most fun class-spec from those I've tried so far

I have just started to level a warrior too. I have always wanted to play a tank class, but just never got round to leveling it! I bought the heirloom shoulders so far, need few more badges to get the chest. So you reckon its fastest just to level straight away in dungeons at level 15 as tanks spec then. Is it quite quick to pick up how to tank, as i have not done it before in the whole 5 years of playing :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon-Hawks
    I have just started to level a warrior too. I have always wanted to play a tank class, but just never got round to leveling it! I bought the heirloom shoulders so far, need few more badges to get the chest. So you reckon its fastest just to level straight away in dungeons at level 15 as tanks spec then. Is it quite quick to pick up how to tank, as i have not done it before in the whole 5 years of playing :P
    I would definetly say hit the random dungeons & never look back. Try to gather some more Triumphs for the BoA 1h sword. Great the whole way through and you obviously don't need to worry about upgrading your weapon, which can be a hassle. Crusader on that & you are ready to smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenetix
    I would definetly say hit the random dungeons & never look back. Try to gather some more Triumphs for the BoA 1h sword. Great the whole way through and you obviously don't need to worry about upgrading your weapon, which can be a hassle. Crusader on that & you are ready to smash.
    Thanks for the advice, will try and do lots of random instances today to get the emblems! Wanna start leveling it as soon as possible!

Deleted

Actually, the fastest might be the "revenge build" near 50-60 if you're not into AoEing much. I don't know which talents to take by heart but to give the general idea, it's 37 (or so)arms to remove the CD on revenge and the rest prot, mainly to buff revenge's damage and give yourself some dodge.

It's harder to tank with that specc than full prot but it's possible and it's pretty idiot proof. You pull something, wait for dodge or parry and spam revenge. The damage is just insane, it even destroys elites very quickly.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm currently leveling a warrior & doing it virtually through the LFG tool. 1-60 in 5 days played time which includes hitting WSG in the 30's to get marks for the lvl 40 bracers (highly recommend doing that too since they will last you a long time), hitting AB in the 50's for marks for my HWL shield (that lasted my pally until nearly 70 during BC so I knew it was a good investment), and then AV 51-60 for honor for the shield & the AV quests. No joking, I completed the 100 quests achievement the day after I hit 20 and I still only have 149/250 quests done....damn elders & love fool's quests adding to the quests completed!

My advice to you is buy the T1 bracers since there are no crafted or quest reward plate bracers outside of 1 that is a pally healer set. Throw 40 stam on them and they will last you until cobalt at 70. Currently I'm using the BOA shoulders & mace (had the chest but gave up the exp bonus for the "pally" chest in Ramparts for the 106 stam from just the 24 stam gems thrown in it compared to the 29 you get from the BOA chest).

As for the people saying go non traditional specs for tanking or that you won't have too much AOE going on in the 50-60 bracket, don't listen to them. Nearly all of your pulls from pre-BC dungeons will be all AOE pulls assuming you have AOE classes there & you will NEED vig for the mage or lock who is putting out the most dmg for those pulls. Also don't worry about a shield until you get the one from RFK or SFK. Slap a 2h on and dps your heart out for quicker runs. Once you get the shield from SM Cath put 12 stam on it & it will last you until Outlands/lvl 60 pvp one which will allow 22 stam. Also I would highly recommend glyphing for sunder first (most pulls will be AOE pulls so that helps hold agro) & resonating power until 50 when you will switch that out for devistate. My typical rotation in the pre-BC dungeons was simply sunder, tab, sunder, tab, sunder, tab, sunder, tab (replace sunder for devistate at 50+)...you get it, and thunderclap when it was off CD. I never lost agro to anyone & since most pulls were 3-5 mobs it was more effective to do that then cleaving which only hits 1 extra mob. Once you hit the BC stuff tanking styles change to the more traditional pulls & there will still be massive AOE from your dps classes that can too so threat will be what you need to be watching out for.

Lastly, you will most likely be healed by feral druids, enh shaman, ret pallies in ret gear that gives virtually no mana to them, boomkins, ele shaman, shadow priests, and very seldom will you run into "true" healers. Stepping foot in a dungeon as a "true" tank will mean those non-traditional healers that don't have big heals will be able to keep you alive since you will be taking less dmg etc. Is tanking as an arms or fury spec viable? Yeah because Blizzard stated a long time ago they designed the regular dungeons to be tanked by a dps warrior with a shadow priest or boomkin or ele shaman healing them. Is it worth being a dps spec if you are just going to tank in randoms all the way up? Hell no.