When to get socket bonuses?

There have proberbly been topics about this before, but i couldn't find them and elitist jerks guide didnt say when to gem for socket bonuses as protection paladin.

But when is it worth to gem for socket bonus as a tank? I am over required defence, but under the hit cap, so would it be best to use hit/stam or def/stam or just stam in a yellow socket that gives 6/9/12 stam as bonus?
    And when should i get dodge/stam or parry/stam or just stam in a red socket?

Thanks in advance.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...odhoof&cn=aroo

Re: When to get socket bonuses?

Defense is still a good stat for avoidance, even after 540. Typically, I gem Agi/Stam in most sockets, with a def/stam in yellow sockets where the bonus is +9 stam or better. I never have threat issues in Raids, so I dont really need hit/stam.

So my advice would be def/stam gems over hit/stam.

Pretty much never gem for parry.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Assuming you're doing anything resembling high level content, ignore 6 stamina bonuses because they aren't worth it. Ignore any bonus that isn't stamina. Gem agility/stamina in red sockets and defense/stamina in yellow sockets where the bonus is 9 or 12 stamina, and the number of blue sockets is at least half of the total number of sockets (assuming more than one socket).

That means that if you have an item with two sockets, and a 9 or 12 stamina bonus, one of the sockets would have to be blue in order to be worth meeting. If the item has three sockets, two of them would have to be blue to be worth taking.

Can't have a crusade without crusader aura.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I have no problems with getting over 540 defense so I'm socketing 30 stam in everything except for a red 10agi+15stamina for meta, and ofc i match that one with the best stamina socket bonus as i can get.