Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc - Serious advice needed!

Hey, so basically heres the link to my Disc priest...I mainly play disc, holy is just for situations when i need it.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Edge&n=Foxtrot

As for my rotation i basically spam flash heal (about a 1.1 sec cast raid buffed) along with pw:s. I know some of my gear has Hit Rating but they were just upgrades at the time.

I need to know what needs changing Gem wise enchants wise and where i should go in regards to future gear? Is gheal better than fheal? And if Divine Aeigs stacks would it be better to work more on my crit?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Disc - Serious advice needed!

18 spirit on boots would be a better enchant. Greater heal? What's that? You should never really be using Gheal in a raid setting in my honest opinion. Too long of a cast time and disc priests from my experience are more about the quick small heals critting. The more crits you have, the quicker your divine aegis stacks, the more damage mitigation your tank has, the more likely you'll survive to tell the tale! I didn't see you mention penance..... >.> Penance, you should be using EVERY time the CD is up pretty much, it is a nearly-impossible to interrupt heal that can make the difference between life and death in some situations. Where-as you have to make a full cast to get flash heal on a tank, penance begins immediately with a pretty decent sized heal (especially if it's a crit) on the tank, so I often use Penance as my first effort when a tank is about to die to change the situation, Penance is a God-send. You have an impressive set of gear and an amount of spell power that I really do desire and am working towards, along with that gigantic amount of mana regen, I am jealous. x.x

I used to stam for intellect.. like a good holy paladin would (lol) but I am noticing my current gemming is making a bit of a difference now. Some may blast what I posted, this is just what I've seen to work. Lots of flash heals, penance, PW:S, those are the top 3 most important spells you'll be using. PoM and Renew are good too, but aren't going to be quite as event-turning as a PW:S crit coupled with Penance critting off the wall, you can get a tank topped off instantly.

I'd say your gemming is very good, some others may say to trash the haste though, I don't know, I've known some disc priests will gem for a bit of haste, some wont. All up to the player. Personally, I've been gemming for more spell power lately.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah i neglected to mention penance , I obviously use it but i use it more for when the tank is 60%< as a pick you up instead of litreally spamming it whenever it is off cooldown. Not sure if that is wrong too. Any ideas on what upgrade to go for next? I got the feeling i went for the wrong chest :x.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtr0t
    Hey, so basically heres the link to my Disc priest...I mainly play disc, holy is just for situations when i need it.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Edge&n=Foxtrot

As for my rotation i basically spam flash heal (about a 1.1 sec cast raid buffed) along with pw:s. I know some of my gear has Hit Rating but they were just upgrades at the time.

I need to know what needs changing Gem wise enchants wise and where i should go in regards to future gear? Is gheal better than fheal? And if Divine Aeigs stacks would it be better to work more on my crit?
    Your gemming is very awkward; for discipline the value of spirit is rather low, you shouldn't gem for it. I noticed you're a bit low on the haste & that's probably why you're gemming for it. Try to go for upgrades with haste so you can start focusing on gemming SP. SP makes your shields absorb more besides the other obvious benefits. Lose that feet enchant and enchant tuskar's vitality for the minor run speed, it's awesome and will save yours & your tanks' lives.

I play holy but last time I checked you need divine fury & improved healing talents in holy to make GH viable for Disc priests. On that note, you're wasting those 5 points in divine fury, and you could always use spell warding.

And lastly, yeah I fucked up with the chest aswell and even used a token for the upgrade. There's a better chest with haste on icc25.. =/ Sucks to be us I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc
    Greater heal? What's that? You should never really be using Gheal in a raid setting in my honest opinion.
    GHeal has certainly seen better days, but I wouldn't be so quick to say never ever use it. Combined with a BT proc, it can save someone's butt. Nothing will eat up your mana like GHeal spam though, so use it carefully and wisely.

@ the OP: Stop gemming haste. Haste and crit are both very useful stats, but point-for-point spellpower is always better to gem for.

Unfortunately you got the wrong chestpiece, Meteor Chaser's is much better for disc (and probably holy).

I agree about replacing your boot enchant. I also don't see much use for Improved Renew as Disc, I would rather have the 3 points in Spell Warding for the boost to survival, but meh that's a small difference.

And grats on the Algalon kill! (saw it on your activity log)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc
    18 spirit on boots would be a better enchant.
    Ignore this- you have the correct boot enchant, run speed is far more useful than a tiny amount of spirit. The only healer that can live without a run speed boost is a druid.

Greater heal? What's that? You should never really be using Gheal in a raid setting in my honest opinion.
    Ignore this honest opinion too. GH is useful particulary when BT is up, but you probably need more haste before you start using it seriously. You want every piece of gear you pick up to be crit/haste, except for items like the rep ring which are so over-budget that the MP5 is essentially free.

Gem +SP in red sockets, +SP/Haste in yellow with good bonuses (meaning really throughput bonuses), and only use the bare minimum blue gems to activate whatever meta you choose. Use SP/Crit on the shoulders chants not SP/MP5, basically anywhere you can switch regen into throughput with reasonable efficiency you should do so.

Finally if you're serious about the character dump the professions. Disc priest isn't an easy spec to gear you need every ounce of power you can get from every source.

Greater heal is most certainly dead.
    It's usefulness in ICC is nonexistant.

I am saying this from experience.
    Yes, I've tried 5/5 divine fury.
    It's still a crap heal, and as much as I wanted to try using a big heal, I could've utilized my GCDs in a better fashion.
    None of these fights promote the use of a priests greater heal.

Deleted

I wouldnt say greater heal is dead, but in some situations its more mana efficient to use it, like Incinerate flesh in ToTc (Gc), shield, and 1-2 greater heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyra
    I wouldnt say greater heal is dead, but in some situations its more mana efficient to use it, like Incinerate flesh in ToTc (Gc), shield, and 1-2 greater heals.
    I'd just bubble, penance, flashx2.
    And its gone.

Greater keeps getting used in these situations acting as if you're the only healer.
    This isn't the case.
    In 10 man you either have a reliable partner or even 2.
    In 25 man, you have 5 others healing.
    People need to stop basing HPS and focus more on efficient healing and usage of GCDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize

It's still a crap heal, and as much as I wanted to try using a big heal, I could've utilized my GCDs in a better fashion.
    Considering there is a lot more saying that GH is a situational heal, that how gearing for haste(spi/mp5 sucks now), and Disc priests can now get high amounts of haste and int, points towards the fact that you're wrong and have not found a good place to use it.

Although haste is good, you should not actually gem for it because if you're using more GH, you need more int for that expensive heal. So the gemming stays pretty much the same.

Thanks for the relpys they have been really useful.

So just as a summary i shouldn't gem for strictly haste i should focus more on SP and and getting the socket bonuses which add spellpower?

I am thinking of dumping my prof's but i dont know what exactly would be best for a disc priest, any ideas?

It is not dead, and just because you tried it and you don't like it - don't just go out and give out false advices. Gheal is still more powerful heal than flash heal is. If you are able to time a big hitting boss ability and match it against you cast time at Gheal it's going to yield better results than mindless flash heal spam.
    The only problem is that you cannot spam it mindlessly and there's the drawback. A good healer will know, at certain point by instinct, when to start casting a spell that heals a lot. If not by instinct, then by using DBM.

A good disc priest will be able to save Borrowed Time to haste up Gheal and follow it by Penance. Even if the two don't crit, you will deliver 20 - 22k healing to a single target.

First of all you need to work on your gemming. Pure haste gems as disc? I was like: "wth?", have you forgot you have a haste bonus (Borrowed Times) when u use PW:S? Even not counting with that having +500 haste is a waste as a disc priest.

Gemming 1.0.1.:
    Red sockets: Always +23sp;
    Yellow sockets: +12sp+10Haste or +12sp+10Crit or +12sp+10int depending in your itemization;
    Blue sockets: +12sp+5mp5 (why not +12+10spi, 1spi=3,6mp5 for a disc priest, if u have a gem that gives u 5mp5 go figure).
    Only follow the socket bonus if they're spell power ones, if not just gem ALWAYS for spell power.

U're missing some socket bonus (spell power ones) because you're gemming for haste, DO NOT do that. Has a disc priest having haste over spell power is not the way to go. U must value the spell power over all other stats, remember that the increase of spell power reflects directly on your dmg absorption, and that's the essence of disc healing.

In terms of enchants, you're fine with the ones u have. Do not enchant your boots with spirit, not worth it for a Disc Priest, the speed increase and + stamina can really save your ass in high movement and high aoe dmg fights, moving faster out of fires=more time after to cast.

About your prof, atm you have 2 grinding prof=no bonus for you at all. If this is your main char you should invest in 2 professions that can bring a boost to you:

Tailoring:
    - Darkglow Embroidery: Chance to restore 300 mana on spell cast. There seems to be a 60 second internal cooldown, with a proc rate of 35%, which is equal to 25 mp5.
    - Lightweave Embroidery: Chance on spell cast to increase your spellpower by 250 for 15 seconds. (For Disc this one is really OP)

Enchanting:
    - Enchant Ring - Greater Spell Power: Permanently enchant a ring to increase spell power by 23. Only the Enchanter's rings can be enchanted, and enchanting a ring will cause it to become soulbound.

Jewelcrafting:
    - Runed Dragon's Eye: +39 Spell Power (instead of +23 Spell Power of a normal epic gem).

- Master's Inscription of the Storm: Permanently adds 70 spell power and 15 critical strike rating to shoulder armor (instead of the 24 spell power and 15 critical from the Sons of Hodir exalted rep, it's a great spell power boost).

Alchemy:
    - Mixology: You receive an increased effect and duration when you drink any elixir or flask you are able to make.

Engineering:
    - Hyperspeed Accelerators: 340 haste for 12 seconds every 1 minute (not that good for disc).
    - Nitro Boosts: 2 sec speed boost every 3 minutes. 2 seconds may sound small and useless, but the boost speed is 150% and for non-melee classes (Hunters and mages for example) these may give a excellent way to get some range to the enemy.

Leatherworking:
    - Fur Lining: Spell Power is a leatherworking-only permanent enchant to bracers to increase spell power by 76.

So now is up to you to judge the 2 more usefull for you

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Júlie
    - Nitro Boosts: 2 sec speed boost every 3 minutes. 2 seconds may sound small and useless, but the boost speed is 150% and for non-melee classes (Hunters and mages for example) these may give a excellent way to get some range to the enemy.
    5 seconds actually. And just to clarify it boosts your speed by 150%, so you'll run with 250% runspeed while boosted, not just 150%. Always sweet to overtake some epic ground mount on your nitro boots.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Why do you keep spouting this on various threads when you do not have enough haste to make GH viable and useful, making your experience with it and opinion on it as a Disc tool of no use to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Júlie
    Tailoring:
    - Darkglow Embroidery: Chance to restore 300 mana on spell cast. There seems to be a 60 second internal cooldown, with a proc rate of 35%, which is equal to 25 mp5.
    First off, this is 400 mana and last I checked it had a 45 second ICD, but I could be wrong on that. Will test tonight.

- Master's Inscription of the Storm: Permanently adds 70 spell power and 15 critical strike rating to shoulder armor (instead of the 24 spell power and 15 critical from the Sons of Hodir exalted rep, it's a great spell power boost).
    46, just like every other non gathering Profession.

Engineering:
    If you get Engineering, for this reason, you have every right to shut up and take it when a Holy Priest uses Body and Soul.

[quote]Leatherworking:
    - Fur Lining: Spell Power is a leatherworking-only permanent enchant to bracers to increase spell power by 76[quote]Instead of the 30 originally?

So now is up to you to judge the 2 more usefull for you
    Most of them have the same effective output, with a few gimmicks and side-things that may or may not work out actually useful.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted

I'd just bubble, penance, flashx2.
    And its gone.
    Greater keeps getting used in these situations acting as if you're the only healer.
    This isn't the case.
    In 10 man you either have a reliable partner or even 2.
    In 25 man, you have 5 others healing.
    People need to stop basing HPS and focus more on efficient healing and usage of GCDs.
    And you should stop posting your own opinions like its absolute truth. You don't like GHeal, fine. But stop persuading people without any proofs.
    You say: bubble, penance, FHx2. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasted FH is like 0.8 sec (with my haste), so you wait for GCD cap, next is about 1.1. This gives you 2.1 sec. Talented GHeal with Borrowed time hits after 1.6-1.7 sec with the same or bigger amount.
    The funniest thing is you gave the best example of GHeal beating FHeal in the raid enviroment - PW:S/Penance/GHeal. In every other FHeal will win imho.

P.S. Im not really defending GHeal. Without holy talents I don't like either FH or GH. Especialy in 25 mans where you spam shields with PoM on CD to get maximum output. FH/GH are just fillers.

Sorry for OT.

You disci priest should have mana and spell power. If you are using MP5 flasks on raids, and your mana poll is on 26k/28k, you could start gemming spell power everywhere.

On my experience, 30K of mana are fair enough, improve your spell power as much as you can and try to take Crit near 30% (30% is a perfect percentage to get Divine AEGIS at every Penance)

Oh gosh... one more thread asking for some help becoming a new "zero haste for discipline" with some ultimate truth regarding GH use... again.

bubble penance FHx2 and that's it? We should not think we can heal since other people are there too? so retarded arguments this is really sad.

I condider myself half healer half protector. 50% of my heal is absorbs and 50% direct healing during fights on average. When a DPS is hurt : use FH, when tank is taking small pinches : FH is enough. When tank is taking a big spank, you should be able to use GH.

Using GH as a main filler on tank would only result in massive overhealing for both you and paladin (ok for paladin whatever you will do they always overheal just forget it ;D). When Huge hits are incoming, then noone is overhealing really. Then the biggest heal you can efficiently provide the better it will be.

If you don't understand you should not only making stupid bubbling anytime (why on earth putting droods on more overhealing for raid protection when only slight damage comes that they would easily handle without anyone's help?) and being able to know where you are useful (meaning sometimes tank healing and then switch to raid protection, then you should have issues during your raids or you have to take one more healer in your encounter to compensate, and probably your droods are feeling most of the time useless since you put stupid bubble for HPS increasing.

That being said, Revitalize, I would be very grateful never reading again your same leitmotiv which is obviously completely false. And in the mean time, if you avoid like hell haste, what do you trade it for? spirit?... Are we done with this issue or should we start ANOTHER thread for saying exactly the same things?

Play as you prefer, but please stop telling your way is the ultimate one. everything is highly depending on so many parameters that you should know almost no statement can be considered purely truth.