Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Upcoming Wintergrasp Changes

Upcoming Wintergrasp Changes
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    In the next minor content patch, we will be making some minor alterations to the way in which the internal balance system for Wintergrasp works in an attempt to better support realms with greater variations in the level of participation between the Alliance and Horde. Since we have never gone into much detail about how this hidden system currently works, we’d like to explain exactly how it will work in the next patch. Keep in mind that, although this information may feel very new to you, the actual changes being made in the patch to the current system are relatively minor.

Here are the key systems in place behind the hidden Wintergrasp advantages and how they will function in the upcoming patch:

HTML Code:
    <ul>[*]There is an internal tug-of-war scale not visible by players which will shift under specific conditions.
[*]The scale starts at 0 (neutral) and can move up to 700 points in either direction favoring the Alliance at one end, and Horde at the other.
[*]This scale is persistent and does not reset to 0 whenever control of Wintergrasp shifts.
[*]If an attacking force captures Wintergrasp Fortress while under the effects of any of the advantages listed below (400-700 points in their favor), the scale tips 100 points in favor of the opposing faction.
[*]If a defending force successfully defends Wintergrasp Fortress two battles in a row, the scale tips 100 points in favor of the opposing faction.
[*]Each consecutive successful defense after a faction’s first two consecutive defenses will further tip the scale 100 points in favor of the opposing faction.

<ul>[*]As a quick example, if the scale is at 0 and the Alliance capture Wintergrasp fortress while attacking, the scale will not move. If the Alliance defend Wintergrasp twice in a row after this, the scale will move 100 points in favor of the Horde. Each consecutive defense by the Alliance after this will move the scale 100 points further in favor of the Horde each time, bringing the Horde to 400 points in their favor after one unsuccessful defense and five unsuccessful attacks, a total of six Horde losses in a row.

[*]As another example, if the scale is at 400 in favor of the Horde and they capture Wintergrasp fortress while attacking, the scale will move 100 points in favor of the Alliance. If the Horde defend Wintergrasp twice in a row after this, the scale will move 100 points in favor of the Alliance. Each consecutive defense by the Horde after this will move the scale 100 points further in favor of the Alliance each time, bringing the Alliance to 100 points in their favor after one unsuccessful defense and five unsuccessful attacks, a total of six Alliance losses in a row.[/list]

[*]The following advantages are provided at the beginning of the battle for Wintergrasp whenever these corresponding ranges on the scale have been reached:

<ul>[*]0-300: No advantages granted.
[*]400: Faction starts with the Sunken Ring Factory under their control.
[*]500: Faction starts with the Sunken Ring and Broken Temple Factories under their control.
[*]600: Faction starts with the Sunken Ring and Broken Temple Factories under their control and gains access to Catapults after earning 1 kill in battle.
[*]700: Faction starts with the Sunken Ring and Broken Temple Factories under their control and gains access to Catapults, Siege Engines, and Demolishers after earning 1 kill in battle.
[/list][/list]

Re: Upcoming Wintergrasp Changes

700: Faction starts with the Sunken Ring and Broken Temple Factories under their control and gains access to Catapults, Siege Engines, and Demolishers after earning 1 kill in battle.
    due to weird bugs concerning tenacity, this already happens almost everytime
    if they don't remove or change tenacity, I don't see how those changes would help at all
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

Once this information is more widespread, hopefully this puts an end to the tardloafs and lunkheads screaming about "cheating" at the end of every Wintergrasph match.
    I > U

Quote Originally Posted by Jeddite
    Once this information is more widespread, hopefully this puts an end to the tardloafs and lunkheads screaming about "cheating" at the end of every Wintergrasph match.
    So true.

i feel sad that its horde on my server that often benefits from the 700 advantage

10+ Year Old Account
    Italy (y'know, spaghetti pizza maccaroni)

That new system looks promising. Hopefully ally tards won't whine any longer. (oh wait, they still will)

The only problem comes that if the Ally-Horde ratio is REALLY unbalanced, the system would still prove ineffective. That system is made just for that reason but yet, I don't think they could win even with the 700 point bonuses. The discrepancy would be too large and this system won't fix anything.
    Banana phone
    I've got this feeling, so appealing,
    for us to get together and sing. Sing!

By that logic, DKs should know that frost presence almost doubles their threat and trying to tank in anything else is idiotic. LFD has proved this is not the case.

They need to just make Tenacity do more, especially to siege engines.

Basically they want Horde and Alliance to each have a "fair" amount of time to access VoA.

On certain servers, one faction completely dominates Wintergrasp (like mine, Horde on US-Arthas), and the other faction gets a very fraction of time in which to complete VoA in a given week.

Horde has an iron fist on WG on my server. Alliance have tried some tricks to enable them to get siege tanks at the start of WG, and Horde still wins. I don't think this will change a whole lot in my case.

Deleted

I like it how the scale ranges from 0 to 700, but only changes in chunks of 100 points. It just feels more sophisticated to add those zero's, amirite?

10+ Year Old Account

Let's hope this helps out the alliance on eu-boulderfist a bit? I still wonder if any alliance on the server have gotten a chance to raid VoA after the new boss arrived yet, lol. "horde keep defended: 1535" <3

it IS cheating to the players since this "system" has never been discussed

honestly, i just think this "system" is what they're using to fix this all instead of saying "it's buggy and we don't know how to fix it".

after all the qq about this they'd have brought up this "system" before i'm sure IF it were something that had been implemented

i'm calling BS on this. it's yet another buggy part of this horrible expansion....this one just comes with an excuse

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by joopxiv
    I like it how the scale ranges from 0 to 700, but only changes in chunks of 100 points. It just feels more sophisticated to add those zero's, amirite?
    blizzard wants to do it big :P.

why not 0-7 and increase advantage by 1 point each double win/loose?

i really hope Blizz is monitoring realms like my realm, Cho'gall US, which looks to be the most imbalanced server in the country. WG is a joke, half the time there's not enough alliance to even get enough HKs to get a vehicle.

Open free alliance-only transfers there already, and free horde xfers off. fix the problem at the source.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but did they actually list the specific changes, against the explanation of the hidden system, or was it an all-in-one chunk of information?

Either way, it's cool, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob7
    it IS cheating to the players since this "system" has never been discussed

honestly, i just think this "system" is what they're using to fix this all instead of saying "it's buggy and we don't know how to fix it".

after all the qq about this they'd have brought up this "system" before i'm sure IF it were something that had been implemented

i'm calling BS on this. it's yet another buggy part of this horrible expansion....this one just comes with an excuse

This is going to be difficult for you to comprehend, but when I zone into Wintergrasp on my Fruit Elf Druid and am promoted to First Lieutenant before I even pass the Sunken Ring Workshop on my ULTRA FAST ULTRA PURPLE ULTRA RAM mount, I am not "cheating." Nor is any other Alliance on Deathwing.

Or anybody else on servers where one faction tends to dominate the other.
    I > U

There is a potential unbalance at 400 advantage. I think this gives the horde an advantage, since the horde will attack the broken temple right from the start, it allows them to more easily control both seige workshops until the alliance go down and take back sunken ring (which a few horde may be defending). Having sunken ring for the alliance at the start is pretty minor as with that being the first target it gets taken quickly.

Also, this system fails to account for different participation levels at different times of day. On my server, the horde comes out much stronger after midnight, so this system pretty much gives the graveyard team an easy few victories, while really punishing them in the morning.

I think the reason for this is that younger players are more likely to choose alliance, as they can better identify with them (since humans are alliance), and they are closer to being the good side. Hopefully this will calm down some with cata, when the humans are given more of a 'jerk' attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by B@nj0 P3do
    why not 0-7 and increase advantage by 1 point each double win/loose?
    From a development viewpoint it makes sense to use larger numbers. If you use large numbers, making changes in the future is easier. For example, if you want to make something add only half of the points, you could do that, change the amount of points to 50. If you want small events to have effect too and only add maybe 5 points and maybe want something to happen at 325 points - with the current system, you could do that. Othewise you'd have to rewrite all values, which takes additional development time. This technique is used in software development a lot, it's not only because they want to present big numbers - heck, if they wanted that, they could've taken something like 75000 (same as honor cap) and call it something like Honorous Hand to make it feel really epic.

How about adding in to the tenacity buff, that if you're at 10 or higher, anything that would normally stop or slow down a person, wouldn't work? It really sucks when there's 40 alliance on 1 horde, I mean, come on, we're just trash mobs in any given raid, 250k life and we can't move. Please think about that Blizzard.

Deleted

Tenacity is the problem, we already had tons of ppl faction change to ally when we started to loose afew attacks. Now winning a defense is out of the question and we win half the attacks. Why? Bcuz we always have 2-3 tenacity, meaning we're out numbered. And tbh most ppl just gave up trying