Improvement of world pvp.

Not sure if there is another thread about this (if there is, a link would be greatly appreciated).

However, if there is not another thread about it, the question is:

How can world pvp be improved and encouraged in Cata? Any good suggestions would be interesting reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I never said Ret was faceroll, I said your bitching is a mirror image to that entire community's attitude. You'd fit in well over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    I'd never send death threats, because it is just a game.

However, if I ever met the guy at Blizzard responsible for murlocs ... I think I'd slug him. Just one hard punch to the face ... while yelling WHARBLGARBLGARBLGARBLGARBL!!

Re: Improvement of world pvp.

World PvP is something totally dependent on the players. The amount of world PvP you get varies from server to server, on my server Aegwynn-US, there is a large amount of world PvP due to the large amount of people that actively grief the opposing factions. If you want to encourage world PvP, get a group of friends together and just grief like no tomorrow, and don't stop, eventually everyone will be out and around trying to make the other faction's day a nightmare!

True,

It does depend on the server, but at the same time, there are things you can do to encourage it, by giving rewards and tokens (like halaa for example). The idea of a small city where you could buy stuff for tokens was nice, even though the rewards were low level stuff.

They tried to do the same thing with the towers in terokkar, the towers in Zangarmarsh and the towers in Hellfire, but (at least where I played) Halaa was the only one that actually attracted players. Surely it can be because of the nice landscape in Nagrand.

I was thinking about something more like a reconstruction of halaa, but somewhere (or in various locations) in Azeroth. A place for world pvp where you actually can get rewards for what you do, exactly like in battlegrounds (tokens).

What do you think?
    I never said Ret was faceroll, I said your bitching is a mirror image to that entire community's attitude. You'd fit in well over there.

However, if I ever met the guy at Blizzard responsible for murlocs ... I think I'd slug him. Just one hard punch to the face ... while yelling WHARBLGARBLGARBLGARBLGARBL!!

There hasn't been world PvP since pre-bc, with all these high level guards that prevent you from running away, discourages world PvP. At least on PvP servers they should make it possible to run away from the guards, and not make it an endless spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by nescáfè
    True,

It does depend on the server, but at the same time, there are things you can do to encourage it, by giving rewards and tokens (like halaa for example). The idea of a small city where you could buy stuff for tokens was nice, even though the rewards were low level stuff.

They tried to do the same thing with the towers in terokkar, the towers in Zangarmarsh and the towers in Hellfire, but (at least where I played) Halaa was the only one that actually attracted players. Surely it can be because of the nice landscape in Nagrand.

I was thinking about something more like a reconstruction of halaa, but somewhere (or in various locations) in Azeroth. A place for world pvp where you actually can get rewards for what you do, exactly like in battlegrounds (tokens).

What do you think?
    I think this would be one of the best ways to get more world PvP. If they did implement something like this, I would hope they go further than what they did with Halaa (and other BC zones). Since they already have WG, they need something different to motivate world PvP - as in, they shouldn't make you have to fight in one certain area for the reward. With Halaa, you needed to fight for Halaa .... just like you have to fight for WG. Granted, WG is on a timed thing, but still...

I hope their rewards are something like honor or daily's of just getting x amount of HK's or KB's (other than in WG). It's exactly like WG, Halaa or even BG's if people have to fight in one area for an objective, rather than just killing.

This is my two cents.

Very simple solution

Put in world raid bosses that drop good loot.

Instant massive world pvp.

Maybe a zone, similar to WG, minus the vehicles. It can be a ffa pvp zone, with rewards like eternals/frozen orbs etc from Killing blows. Then throw in a boss.

In order to access boss, you need to enter the zone while in a raid group. When two raids groups enter the area, they enter in a single flag capture the flag. First raid to capture the flag or get 100 killing blows are ported to an instance containing a boss. The losing team is booted from the zone, and has to re-enter.

Boss would have to have relevant loot, be on a short (like 3 day) timer.
    Edit: Depending on traffic of the zone, maybe consider same faction pvp.

Short of offering a reward for world pvp, if your looking for more, transfer to a pvp server.

Yes, I'm still level 80. No I don't have cataclysm.

REMOVE FLYING MOUNTS

Stick a bunch of daily quests in an area that's not santuary ie: Sunwell dailies.

Was good world pvp there from time to time, not not much low level camping that you get in Southshore and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by megalødon
    REMOVE FLYING MOUNTS
    As bad as I hate to say it but remove flying mounts would bring back world pvp :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski
    There hasn't been world PvP since pre-bc, with all these high level guards that prevent you from running away, discourages world PvP. At least on PvP servers they should make it possible to run away from the guards, and not make it an endless spawn.
    yea I completely agree. It's rediculous. I'm a rogue and find it fun once in a while to go into org either solo or with Druids and other rogues and gank unsuspecting horde. Problem is not the gaurds I can see but the annoying non-elites that just spawn and for some reason are not effected by vanish / shadowmeld. So basically you try to world pvp only to be surrounded by the neverending spawning gaurds that you can run from and make a huge scene or try fighting them off in hopes no more spawn.

I think a neverending world bg would be cool. A while ago I remember horde used to gank and practically take over darkshire and south shore when I was lvling and beyond. Why not give some sort of benefit to this? Of course making it work in leveling towns would be a pain to lowbies bit what if they created little towns all over Azeroth. Have them either all be neutral or ally/horde and it's the factions responsibility to defend/attack these towns. Sort of like Arathi Basin except spread out all over the map. Maybe get something like double or triple honor from HKs while in the visinity of these towns.

Just my idea. I think it would be fun. Any suggestions?

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

Quote Originally Posted by nescáfè
    True,

What do you think?
    Agreed
    But I think the fact that you had several to choose from worked against the incentive. People are gonna spread out and low participation discourages more people from joining.
    The main problem atm is the huge faction imbalance at the majority of the servers, so before that is handled anything but an instanced zone won't really work, but that isn't really world pvp anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by Purusum
    Maybe a zone, similar to WG, minus the vehicles. It can be a ffa pvp zone, with rewards like eternals/frozen orbs etc from Killing blows. Then throw in a boss.

In order to access boss, you need to enter the zone while in a raid group. When two raids groups enter the area, they enter in a single flag capture the flag. First raid to capture the flag or get 100 killing blows are ported to an instance containing a boss. The losing team is booted from the zone, and has to re-enter.

Boss would have to have relevant loot, be on a short (like 3 day) timer.
    Edit: Depending on traffic of the zone, maybe consider same faction pvp.

Short of offering a reward for world pvp, if your looking for more, transfer to a pvp server.

That actually sounds cool but I hope blizz moves away from raid world pvp. I don't like world pvp that's to organized. It should be something you want to do on your own time or in groups. WG is more like a BG than world pvp.

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo
    World PvP exists when there are alot of people in one place at the same time (dur talk about state the obvious!), and will happen in these situations -

1) People leveling in the same area where quest hubs of opposite factions are close together
    2) People questing in the same area (dailies or for leveling)
    3) People grinding in the same area on the same mobs (generally one of the better PvP experiences to be had)
    4) People waiting outside raid instances

In order for the above to happen more often, there needs to be -

1) Quest hubs that take a long time to get through (think southshore/tarren mill)
    2) Dailies that take weeks/months to finish (think sons of hodir grind)
    3) Mob grinds for gold/mats (think Tyrs hand/Elemental Plateau)
    4) Lots of guilds doing the same instance / dungeons at the same time (think blackrock mountains)

THOSE are the reasons World PvP existed in the first place.

Removing flying mounts would help, removing battlegrounds and arena would also help (but might not improve the game).
    on that note. Can't wait for the next Quel'like quest hub!!

Was jsut gonna say, quel'danas was absolutely godlike for pvp.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Blackrock Mountain. In addition to the two dungeons and two raids already there, aren't we getting another dungeon and another raid in Cataclysm? It's going to be very heavily populated.

Furthermore, you can't mount up on either your flying or ground mount inside, and you can't just fly to within five feet of the instance portal and run the rest of the way in (like Icecrown Citadel). It's a long way to go to get to the summoning stone, and even farther to get to the instances.

I'm hoping Blackrock pvp will make a triumphant return.

Oh, and Blizzard seems to be confused; Wintergrasp is NOT world pvp. It's a battleground, and don't you ever let them tell you otherwise. It's got objectives, timers, balancing factors, and even worse, only every couple hours. It's a battleground.

I forget if owning Tol Barad gives you better dailies, or dailies at all. Either the opposing faction will just wait to do the better dailies, or can't do them at all. It's like if the Isle of Queldanas only permitted one faction in the zone every couple hours. That'll kill the world pvp completely.

Need another Halaa with very desirable rewards to convince people to pvp. And this thing needs to be going on all the time.

Deleted

In my experience world pvp it's only fun if both fractions are balanced in the population department. If the introduce another quel'danas zone, i am gonna transfer my character to a pve server faster then the speed of light. It's not fun when Horde is approximately around 15.000 and alliance is under 1000 (stats come from an outdated wowcencus and the own user ass)... Stormscale-Eu it's not a good place for pvp...

p.s sorry for the Bad English it isn't my first language

Ok,

I have read peoples different suggestions and it basically comes down to this:

Faction imbalance - Not sure how this could be controlled unless blizzard puts a restriction on transfers and faction change (highly unlikely since that means lesser revenue for them). Therefore, any idea on how this could be handled would be appreciated. (smaller area, hideouts within the zone, temporary immunity buffs, etc)

Flying Mounts - Yes, this causes a problem for world pvp everywhere, but not necessarily in a place where you WANT to fight. If people do not agree with this, again, post a possible solution instead of bashing. I read one solution; making it "indoors", like Blackrock Mountain, and thereby preventing people from using flying mounts inside. However, for the place to actually be attractive, some sun, green (like Nagrand and Isle of Q'D), would probably be needed since these are the places that people seem to like.

Dailies without sanctuary - Yes, great idea, Isle of Q'D could be used as an example. Sure, the faction imbalance comes into play here, but as stated "If you find PVP too challenging.. Bring your friends". Dailies are great since it attracts people.

World raid boss - Also a great idea. This makes it more challenging (and more frustrating) when people completely gank your raid. But then again, this is why pvp is fun is it not? To get back at that damn gnome rogue who ganked you before? Perfect! I read a quote from Blizzard saying "the problem with outdoor raid bosses is the interference of the opposite faction". For me, this is the fun part, let me know how you feel about it.

Not TOO organized - WG was a failure since, as many people stated, it was just another battleground. It is timed, you teleport there, it prevents you from using certain abilities, there is tenacity (right name?), and you cannot fight for it all the time. The fun part of world pvp is its randomness. That you can find yourself fighting on a ledge, cliff, on a rooftop, in GC's living room, who knows. Different locations are FUN, not fighting in the same BG all the time with the same mechanics and LoS's.

Mobs with profitable loot - Put mobs who drop some good stuff here. People who want to farm it might get annoyed, but then again, wherever there is good loot, people will go, so you can't really get away from the fact that if you want to grind something that others want, you will have to fight for it (look at elemental plateau in Nagrand for example).

This is what I have gathered so far. Any comments would be appreciated.