Thread: leveling a lock

leveling a lock

ok warlocks out there, this is my 3rd attempt at lvling a warlock... i cannot get past lvl 40 before dieing of bordem...

tips? specs? possible over the counter drugs to make this more enjoyable?

My new one is at lvl 29 with full boa gear and 30 sp to staff. with life tap glyph shes already got 125 sp, and is too boring.....

This is the only class i dont have 70+ so help pls

Re: leveling a lock

Interesting topic...but I doubt any tips will make it less boring. I'd wager you know a decently leveling strategy/efficiency if you've got everything else 70+ so...

If you like to tab/dot run around, or are concerned about efficiency, go affliction.

If you like to blow shit up, go Destro.

If you like to solo group quests easily, or sit back and let your pet do more work, go Demo.

These are generalizations, not laws - you can still play any spec any way, and what you get out of it is a function of what you put in. Also, some of these aren't viable until certain levels, check the leveling guide for details, more information.

10+ Year Old Account

My main (an 80 lock) was my first toon. Honestly, I found leveling quite enjoyable and easy. Leveling as demo, i could do group quests while i'd see the same person spamming general chat looking for a group. Send your Voidwalker in, cast a couple DoTs and watch the mob die.

Upon hitting 80 and starting to raid, I have so much fun with my lock that it's hard to imagine using another class.

atm im demo and find the one shot shadowbolt crits prety nice. Plus with the high spellpower i can just dot, dot and move on.

I really dont know what to do about this dam toon, tried lvling on another faction as well to make it more intresting. Conflag at 40 is prety bad ass so ill just grind it out till then and see how it goes.

honestly, following the guide, 30-60 was awesome!
    grab more spell power and get SL, run around and dot.
    I had a blast watching a mob of 10 guys run chasing me to their deaths.
    (it's equally fun in battlegrounds if you have enough sp, especially at 39)

though, I for one really like affliction. you may feel differently about it.

Demon until 60ish and Affliction the rest of the way did it for me.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7382676545570345084

IMO warlocks don't really get fun until you have your felguard.

And a side note, I was in a dungeon with my lvl 60 shammy and I saw this destro lock shadow bolting. Then I started thinking is destro even viable for leveling sub 64? Half the tree is buffing a nuke you don't get until level 64, incinerate.

You say you have all other classes above 70, so I'm gonna assume you leveled a priest, probably as shadow. If you did, did you like leveling your shadow priest? If you did, I'd suggest affliction, as it plays very similar to a shadow priest.

I leveled as affliction sub-70. Once I got to 70, I leveled as destro, and never looked back. You do so much burst, nothing even gets to you before it dies. Between life tap and soul leech, I never had to drink, having a steady flow of both mana and health streaming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by supazio
    I know everyone else is too lazy so whenever I run voa I just tricks the highest melee dps every cooldown. And I don't even have the set boner. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc
    Hang on, you were going to make a class that you never see the race as with one of the new races, and then decide not to because you'll actually see aforementioned new race? Make does this sense not.

i would go with aff on that lvl, just grind that one lvl and then you can blast away with SL.
    whe i was lvling without boa gear with low sp i just dot-ed all in sight and life drained + life tapped. now after all those improvements, with boa gear and glyphs it should be really easy to lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by frester
    i would go with aff on that lvl, just grind that one lvl and then you can blast away with SL.
    whe i was lvling without boa gear with low sp i just dot-ed all in sight and life drained + life tapped. now after all those improvements, with boa gear and glyphs it should be really easy to lvl.
    Even if you don't have boa gear, the new dungeon finder makes it retardedly easy to get good +SP gear in old world. My shammy had 300 unbuffed spell power by the time he hit outland. Now I do have 3 boa pieces, but there was certainly no shortage of +SP chest/shoulder/weapon drops and boa gear is not more powerful then at level blues.

But yea, what I'm getting at is don't rely on quest reward greens for old world, as they are really, really bad.

I found demo and destro to be boring as heck while leveling. My favorite leveling option was Affliction. Dot dot dot while running and tagging like 8 different mobs using howl of terror then picking up more mobs all while life tapping was incredibly satisfying. Plus on a PVP server watching people try to interrupt me was pretty lulz. Kill teh lock oh crap he is getting a ton of heals from siphon life.

Good times ;D

As Affliction you shouldn't be bored because you can kill as many targets as you can dot at once. I just looked for large packs of mobs and could easily take on 6-10 at the same time using just Corruption and CoA. You will need loads of spell power but if you have the gear, the spec, and the glyphs Affliction is non-stop killing where you can constantly try to kill a RIDICULOUS amount of mobs at the same time.

Ironically I found the lock class to be the most enjoyable to level. Mages/warriors have to be the absolute worst. So much down time in leveling a mage I just couldn't take it.

STV, BG, LFG

Np.

Quote Originally Posted by Fry-Lock
    IMO warlocks don't really get fun until you have your felguard.

And a side note, I was in a dungeon with my lvl 60 shammy and I saw this destro lock shadow bolting. Then I started thinking is destro even viable for leveling sub 64? Half the tree is buffing a nuke you don't get until level 64, incinerate.

You say you have all other classes above 70, so I'm gonna assume you leveled a priest, probably as shadow. If you did, did you like leveling your shadow priest? If you did, I'd suggest affliction, as it plays very similar to a shadow priest.
    I leveld as destro 1-80 because I dont like DoTin. Ended up 2 shotting everything up to 60 followed by insane CB crits. Incinerate came and the kills came faster. Sadly, at 78 I noticed I used waaaay lower ranked spells.

Mage was definately the worst for me too. Shoot shoot drink repeat.

The most annoying part of affliction is running back to loot mobs. WTB auto loot system when soloing.

I can't see how affliction and proper drain tanking of many mobs at the same time can be boring

I found it the most enjoyable way to level up.. Especially if you keep pushing yourself to pull more and more mobs.. This will give even your soulstone some good use when you screw up

That being said I won't do it again.. But I enjoyed it at least twice as much as the other classes I have leveled (which are the other 9 classes in game ).

mmkay. do what i did =) lvl to 20, go to Scarlet monastery: Cathedral and get a friend to 1 pull the entire instance over and over till you are 40 =P.

Then go to BRD and repeat till 45,
    then go to stratholme till 58/60.

im leveling a mage and a priest via this way ( two accounts) and have got them both to 52 in 20 hours.

not the funnest way of doing things but hey, cant argue that its efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by DaLeetPawner
    I leveld as destro 1-80 because I dont like DoTin. Ended up 2 shotting everything up to 60 followed by insane CB crits. Incinerate came and the kills came faster. Sadly, at 78 I noticed I used waaaay lower ranked spells.
    I'm not saying leveling as destro isn't completely viable, I'm just saying you waste 10 talent points (emberstorm + F&B) on talents designed to improve a spell you don't get until 64. I dunno, I feel like speccing into bane, then going demo would be a better way to level if you like nuking things.