Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Snake/Immolation/explosive trap worth binding?

G'day everyone, I'm sorry if this has been asked before ahead of flame, heh.

Well, anyway, I am a clicking hunter... or trying to be an EX-clicking hunter. I'm starting to keybind to improve my pvp game and pve situational awareness. For the most part I have it figured out. I'm a survival hunter btw. The reason for the this thread is as the title suggests... is snake/immolation/explosive trap worth binding at all?

Should I ignore these traps to simplify my bindings, or is the extra damage worth the extra practice? I know these traps have next to no use in pve unless you're dancing, (which I'm not sure is still viable), and pvp usage tends to add only little damage, I'd say nay to binding them, but I do want to check with the forum to make sure I'm not making a mistake.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Re: Is Snake/Immolation/explosive trap worth binding?

In PvE, using traps at all is in general a waste of time, moving makes you drop sniper training and you can't use fire traps and black arrow at the same time anyway.

In PvP, I have both frost and snake trap bound because they proc entrapment of pesky melee.

I have explosive, snake, frost and even freezing arrow bound to some lesser used modifier keys. They're very situational. Explosive is great for trash (MD+explosive trap+volley = lololol30kdps). Freezing and frost and and snake have come in a little handy on the dreamwalker fight. Mostly they go unused, which is somewhat of a pity, as I actually enjoyed trap dancing in ye olden (not really that olden) times.

10+ Year Old Account

i would hate to contradict a moderator but i actually use explosive traps in heroics all the time for aoe.
    run up just behind the tank, MD, drop an ET, disnegage, pop the 3 free explosive shots onto 3 different targets real quick, multishot, then volley.
    i can usually pull 7k aoe damage in a heroic doing this. in an ICC rep grind i have seen my dps go as high up as 12.5k.

but to answer your question, i dont have them bound but i have them all in a line on my toolbar so they are pretty easy to find

edit: i guess as far as use in PVE goes it is a necessity to know where frost trap is on saurfang to slow down the blood beasts asap. other than that i guess i cant think of a huge need for them in raids. i guess it just depends on how much you raid. in pvp, i find them to be incredibly valueable. especially since the change which allows separate CDs

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing

Trash isn't so reaction demanding that a person can't click on explosive trap rather than use their keyboard.

Well, I myself have EVERYTHING except maybe Hearthstone bound :P Then again I have long fingers and stretch up to number 7. So I'm using §-7 with shift and control modifiers along with numerous letters (also with shift and control modifier).. clicking's just slow :<
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Only idiots quote themselves

10+ Year Old Account

oh yes i guess is very true... i kinda missed the original point of the post. definitely not worht binding but you should know where they are on your bar "just in case"

you are now consciously breathing

I would very much disagree with the forum mod, even as survival binding your exp trap is well worth it. maybe in heroics the aoe worth of adding a exp trap isnt the highest, but general raid content its def worth it when pulling pack up to 10.
    Being surv and having sniper should not hinder you if u just keep an eye on your timer you will generally have 9 seconds to move and let the buff reapply without losing it.
    and unless its an icc cleave trash pack with decent tanks and a MD up on ur volley u dont even have to run back after dropping your trap which will greatly increase your dps.
    on bosses or trashpacks of 3 or less adding a trap is not worth it.
    as for PvP snake trap is wellworth it as it gives casting debuff thats pretty annoying for healers and if nothing else adds a dot they need to dispell.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    Trash isn't so reaction demanding that a person can't click on explosive trap rather than use their keyboard.
    That may be so, but what you posted earlier "in PvE, using traps at all is in general a waste of time," has nothing to do with keybinds, and is, in fact, wrong. In fact, for trash packs, you'd be wasting other people's time by *not* using an explosive trap. Not sure if you've noticed, but explosive has been buffed nicely.

I can't comment much from a PVP perspective. But from a PVE stand point, there is no use for snake or immolation. Explosive is really just for lols on trash and clicking it wont see a dps loss for you as you have to move into position anyway.

I recently moved away from clicking. Its quite a challange as we have a lot of keybinds even in PVE, the more you can reduce this the better. Once your comfortable with our other 250 keybinds you can perhaps add them at a later date.

You will see such limited use from them, it seems a waste to overcomplicate an already difficult transition.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    Well to be honest, the last thing you want a clicker who is trying to use keybinds, is to click.

Its like your friend wants to quit smoking, gets stressed, and you tell him "Here, have a cigarette."

And Mr. OP. Its up to you. Do you use these traps in pve? I use explosive trap when i aoe grind, and i have the others binded to keys as well, even though I rarely use them. Better safe than sorry.

- However i would say hold off on keybinding them. As a hunter you are going to have a lot of abilities key binded, so start small (main abilities) and work your way to the lesser used abilities once you get used to using your other key binds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

For me I dont keybind traps as I use flo totem bar for easy access. In terms of pvp not really any use unless there's a big crowd of ally/horde bunched together. In PVE there's two fights which the traps come in use, Saurfang for the blood beasts and Dreamwalker for the worms that come out of the abominations if your raid is stuggling to keep them under control (Depends on raid leaders tactics or if your pugging)..

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

I bound frost trap and explosive trap in a sequence.
    Whenever I'm not using freezing trap (arrowed or not), I want my frost trap up. While they are up there, I want them to hurt on the explosive trap all over the kite area...

My snake trap I actually use with feign death (or straight before or after technically).
    Nothing like dropping yourself from their target with a bunch of snakes just dying to get their attention.
    Entrapment proc and you are running by the time they target you again.

I think traps are worth binding yes, since in pvp I use them every cooldown, if possible all of them.

This is pvp, for pve I sometimes use the explosive by itself on trash.
    You could bind explosive for this.
    I just use the same binds for my traps in pve as in pvp. Trying to use almost the same keys and interface for both, makes it easier to remember it all.

Quote Originally Posted by pomop
    Well to be honest, the last thing you want a clicker who is trying to use keybinds, is to click.

Its like your friend wants to quit smoking, gets stressed, and you tell him "Here, have a cigarette."

And Mr. OP. Its up to you. Do you use these traps in pve? I use explosive trap when i aoe grind, and i have the others binded to keys as well, even though I rarely use them. Better safe than sorry.

- However i would say hold off on keybinding them. As a hunter you are going to have a lot of abilities key binded, so start small (main abilities) and work your way to the lesser used abilities once you get used to using your other key binds.
    This is a valid point, I suppose. However, it would probably be far easier for a clicker to get used to keybinds a few at a time, and not be fumbling their abilities and using disengage instead of explosive trap on trash, when they could have easily just clicked that and focused on keybindings with more uses. The OP is asking for opinions, there's mine.

Hey Not sure how it goes in raids But when doing Wsg at my level I use freezing traps and frost traps, But I stay and defend the flag, I have my traps bound to ctrl + \ to c
    but tbh I can just click the trap so don't need to bind them thing I have them bind for the shake of it, Also so I get in practise at using binds with ctrl and shift held down

As Surv? No, cause black arrow > traps.
    As MM? If you can place it somewhere where the boss will walk over it, say... Proff Put? Then yes, least thats what I do :x
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Chimaria

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

I personally dont bind them as they dont get used that much during PvE.

However one fantastic time to use immolation trap as a hunter in PvE is when Sindragosa in 10 or 25 used the magic pull ability. Place a trap and then disengage, great little trick for a little bit of extra damage whilst in melee range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaris
    I personally dont bind them as they dont get used that much during PvE.

However one fantastic time to use explosive trapas a hunter in PvE is when Sindragosa in 10 or 25 used the magic pull ability. Place a trap and then disengage, great little trick for a little bit of extra damage whilst in melee range.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Infs
    Fixed
    Yeah that one.. always mix them up..

explosive trap is so much fun for trash pulls after the buff. sting as many targets as u can while u r running to trap, lay it down, disengage, volley and watch the dps meter go nuts.

as for pvp freezing trap, frost trap, snake trap are all very handy to keep on good binds. very usefull when u r trying to get away from melee that has closed the distance to you. freezing arrow is also good if u want to take a healer/ranged dps out of action quickly.