Warlock PVP guide?

Basically Ive always been pve but thought i'd try a bit of pvp in my spare time, now I know spec is all relative and you can pvp in pretty much either afflic, demo or destro (im talking Battlegrounds here not arena)

Ive not really looked in pvp since WOTLK came out and I remember from that, that the aim was around 1000resilience, obviously with all the better gear this is alot easier to get so I was wondering what gems should I really be using. I've tried to search for it and couldnt find anything and ive asked around on my realm and got differenet answers. One guy said just get around 1000 resilience then stack spellpower, another guy said constantly stack stam and resilience just for pure survival and just dot them up and run away.

My current pve specs are destro and demo and since im just doing this on a casual basis I wasnt planning on lots of repsecs so in pvp I normally go for the demo as destro I just die too fast. In the past weeks I have managed to cobble together around 1200 worth of resilience from buying the 232 stuff from badges and handing in all my wintergrasp stuff for honor and getting some of the 264 items but its pretty much ungemed atm.

Any advise or links to a current warlock pvp guide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Warlock PVP guide?

www.arenajunkies.com

We don't have a PVP guide here because the volume of knowledge it would have to contain in order to be passable as "bare minimum" would be immense. And even then, the thread would devolve into semantics about how best to kill something. All of this information is readily available at arenajunkies.

R.I.P. YARG

Thanks!

also thanks!
    ...was wondering where I'd go to find that.

One thing to note (and this is just my opinion):

I always find that guides (even on AJ which is thorough) often tend to lean towards specs designed for 1v1. For some classes this is fine; for warlocks it is not. My 2v2 spec sometimes changes depending on my partner and usually differs from my 3v3 spec as well (havent really played 5v5 in a while). Also being a gnome and an engineer factor into my builds.

Now since you were specifically looking for BG's I would suggest going destro. A 1v1 spec works best and destro offers more burst which is great when deaths dont matter in the end. Im not going into a specific build because that would flood this thread with debate.

1) Learn to play without using a mouse against target dummies. Movement doesnt matter here so get your combo rotations down using only a gamepad or keyboard. This also helps with incorporating pet abilities while casting. Throw a seduce in the middle of a long chain or use felpup to remove a harmful (imaginary) buff from yourself

2) After youve become accustomed to playing without a mouse, start dueling different classes (inguild or just by spamming in a major city) and reincorporating using a mouse only for movement. You already know how to chain spells so now you need to learn how to use defensive cooldowns at the right times. This is generally the hardest part about pvp; people freak out when being attacked. Dueling will teach you how to be calm under duress. A cool head is often the difference between winning and losing. Defensive cooldowns need to be used at appropriate times and not "blown" just because their is threat. After a duel you can always talk to the person you just fought and find out what they think you did right/wrong.

3) Why is 1v1 important? I think its best to learn how to play your character without relying on heals or someone else to use a cc/interrupt to help you. If you learn how to play against and beat every class solo then it will only be easier when you have help. If you learn how to play against other classes while relying on a help you may never be able to win solo.

4) Play arenas. Even if you only plan to do BG's in the future this teaches you how to work as a team. This is the other side of dueling. You have already learned what to expect from classes and how to best counter them, now you learn how to play in tune with those classes.
    Definition of useless -

Q. Any plans for an untalented spell to help warlocks deal with stuns?
    A. Possibly. It’s also possible we may take a look at stuns in general. But overall stuns will feel less impacting in an environment where players have significantly more health than they do today.

15+ Year Old Account

^ What he said. And additional emphasis on the spec changes based on your comp. Warlocks are in a unique position in that they can drastically alter their strengths/weaknesses based on spec and demon use.

R.I.P. YARG