Page 1 of 2
LastLast

50 meg connection questions

Yesterday my family upgraded to a 50 MBPS internet connection, and I ran a test on speedtest.net just because I was curious, and the results were nowhere near 50 MBPS. Just curious as to why this is, if someone with knowledge with this type of stuff could give some reasons as to why this is. My desktop (gaming) is not wireless, so having an N or G card wouldnt even matter because im not using the router, my family is. Thanks!

Re: 50 meg connection questions

Can you tell us what results you got? Possibly take a screen shot? Did you make sure you use a server nearby when testing your connection speed?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account

What was your test result? What ISP?

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplz
    wouldnt even matter because im not using the router, my family is.
    If your family is on the router and you're not, how are you connecting to the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    What was your test result? What ISP?

Also:
    If your family is on the router and you're not, how are you connecting to the internet?
    Okay, sorry maybe I should have been clearer. I am not using wireless for my internet connection, my family is. I'm directly connected.

Here were my test results on my terrible laptop, which is using a G wireless card that is built in atm, and we have an N router so my laptop is losing some speed, but I dont believe it should be losing as much as it is. I had to send my desktop to alienware for some repairs, but as soon as I get it back i'll give some results from my desktop.

Here was the ping test on my laptop also, if its of any use.

Well a simple test you can do to determine the root of your problem is the following:

Directly (hardwire) connect your computer (in this case your laptop) to the modem without going through a router, hub, switch, etc. Then run a speed test. If your speeds are fine, then you know it's your network and not a hardware/software issue. If your speeds are the same then you should probably call your ISP and make sure you have the right settings.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    Well a simple test you can do to determine the root of your problem is the following:

Directly (hardwire) connect your computer (in this case your laptop) to the modem without going through a router, hub, switch, etc. Then run a speed test. If your speeds are fine, then you know it's your network and not a hardware/software issue. If your speeds are the same then you should probably call your ISP and make sure you have the right settings.
    Alright, thanks. I'll have to try this, though I would like to do it on my desktop, because it feels like the internet has always been faster on it and I dont know why, we'll see what i get.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Purplz
    Alright, thanks. I'll have to try this, though I would like to do it on my desktop, because it feels like the internet has always been faster on it and I dont know why, we'll see what i get.
    It's probably always felt faster due to wired vs wireless. Wireless naturally creates a bit of latency that can make it feel sluggish. That latency can be exaggerated by walls, cordless phones, a microwave, etc, as they all interfere with the signal.

If you primarily game on your desktop, then I would do the testing there.

Deleted

Tried a different port in your modem? (the direct modem (Internet --> Modem --> Router --> PC's)) - Change the rj45 cable to a different port in the modem. (Play around with it for highest speed)

This is a very unlikely possibility but could the server you're trying can't upload at 50mb/sec?

Are you sure it's not a 50Mb (megabit) connection (instead of 50MB (megabyte))?

50Mb equals roughly 6.25MB, and a decent connection will translate to roughly 85% of this in actual download speed, so if you were in the 5-5.5MB (megabyte) range, you're doing fine, and this is the expected download rate.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfeet
    Are you sure it's not a 50Mb (megabit) connection (instead of 50MB (megabyte))?

50Mb equals roughly 6.25MB, and a decent connection will translate to roughly 85% of this in actual download speed, so if you were in the 5-5.5MB (megabyte) range, you're doing fine, and this is the expected download rate.
    His test was in megabits and was only 17 megabits.

Quote Originally Posted by op3l
    This is a very unlikely possibility but could the server you're trying can't upload at 50mb/sec?
    Speedtest.net is well capable of a 50Mbps link.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    His test was in megabits and was only 17 megabits.

Speedtest.net is well capable of a 50Mbps link.
    Ahh missed that somehow on my first reading.

I agree with the post to connect directly to your modem, and see what happens.

Deleted

It's the same here, only 2 ports of 4 support the 50meg (I have 50Mbit myself, fiberglass)

The number quoted, and what you actually get are often very different due to demand in an area, and according to the ISP anything from the weather to the price of gold in bolivia.
    I have adsl over the phoneline on an "upto" 8mb service, but im lucky to see upto 3.5, if even that at the best of times.
    The figures quoted are the ideal maximum, not a typical figure under less than ideal let alone ideal conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

You need to consider the type of connection ADSL vs. cable
    In the case of ADSL you're very dependant on the distance from your local central, the further you are the slower your internet is. If you live in a more rural area, your internet will usually be slower.
    In case of cable it depends on how many people use it, where I live (Belgium) cable is used for TV, internet and digital TV. So if there'd be a lot of cable users near me that use a lot of bandwidth I'd have a lower speed.
    The speed providers mention are maximum speeds only attained in utopian situations. But the difference between 50 and 17 mbps is quite big, so there must be other issues as well.

I just want to amuse you guys, this has nothing to do with the thread at all besides proving that ISP's "Up to" speed should really be banned by the government. If they're going to include an "up to" rating, they should provide a minimum rating for consumers also. But that's for another forum and thread.

The line is suppose to be 12mb up/down for this office k? Also, I'm in Vietnam(lawls 18th century)

Awesome isn't it

Glad I'm not paying for this.

Okay, I just got my desktop back and here are the results on my desktop...

Something smells fishy...

Any idea on what I should do?

Honestly your best bet is to call the ISP up and talk to their tech support. If you live in a crowded area in terms of net usage, it could be there simply isn't enough bandwidth left in that area for you to get up to 50mb/sec.

I know it's frustrating but there's really nothing we can do at the user end to help you out. All network cards and modems can handle 50mb/sec so it won't be anything setup wrong on the user end.

Honestly your best bet is to call the ISP up and talk to their tech support. If you live in a crowded area in terms of net usage, it could be there simply isn't enough bandwidth left in that area for you to get up to 50mb/sec.

I know it's frustrating but there's really nothing we can do at the user end to help you out. All network cards and modems can handle 50mb/sec so it won't be anything setup wrong on the user end.
    Going to be honest, I live in an area called "Newville" but its not so new... the population around here is like a thousand. And i dont even live anywhere near town, im in the boonies on a street with about 5 or 6 houses.