PROT; Unrelenting Assault Build in 3.3.3

Warrior

* Revenge: Damage done by this ability (base and scaling) increased by 50%.

I was wondering other peoples thoughts on this and IF it would make the Unrelenting Assault build viable again?

really the only thing you lose via this build (from a mitigation standpoint) is, 2% str, 2% stam, and Critical Block

My version of the spec is as follows...
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAMIz...trx00ib:bdwozm
    *edited slightly to remove Juggernaut*

Sure you would take slightly more damage and have a very slight health loss but an expertise and hit capped warrior could easily pull 4k dps or more if revenge starts hitting for 6-8k (with NO cool down) not to mention the Heroics thrown in. I think this spec would do best with a sword for additional Heroic Strikes-- IF the free sword attack uses your Heroic-- otherwise probably a mace would do nice threat/damage with 15% ArP.

Also this build while not containing the neet talents like Vigil, and Shockwave... You do gain Mortal strike which can be handy if you don't have a Hunter/Arms Warrior or you are gibing you rogue

Whats your thoughts I plan on trying it on my Warrior and the MT in my guild is planning on trying it as well, I cant really say that the small mitigation loss will be a big deal (from a healing standpoint, my main is a Holy paladin)
    Venara violated my pretty signature. :'(

Re: PROT; Unrelenting Assault Build in 3.3.3

I'd assume it'd be just about as powerful as the original UA build before devastate was buffed. It'd lack charge and intercept and have poor aggro management in the first few seconds of the fight.

While I don't claim to be a prot guru or anything. I'll venture a guess on its viability. Seeing as threat isn't a problem in 25 man raids...I'm going to go with no.

I think you underestimate what 2% of a 50k tank is. Or how much block value you gain from 2% str...especially when our armor has been recently reitemized with much more str and AC. Shockwave is a great snap aggro tool for multiple mobs...you basically require your guild to send you over on Gunship cause you can't do multiple mobs, your gonna have a harder time picking up adds on Lady DB...especially when you just lost a stun, you're gonna be cursing yourself out on Valithria when you can't pick up Rot Worms....or stun the Frostbolt volleys when needed. You also lose out on your closures in combat...which is huge...huge.

You gain a little bit of dps, but you lose mitigation and effective health to do it...both of which are weaknesses for a warrior and places where we look to max.

All in all, I really don't think it has a place anymore in ICC.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

looks interesting but aggro might be a small problem since u lose SnB.

Also juggernaut is useless since charge is battle stance only and u lose the extra rage u get when u stance dance.

but please keep us posted on how it goes when u try it. ^^

So, you lose a reduced CD on shield wall...2% stamina...a sunder that does damage...one of your most important AOE abilities...your charge...a stun

Have I made my point clear yet?

Perhaps for the lulz. I wouldn't even consider it for serious raiding, though.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

This specc was used by a few tanks in Naxx and Ulduar (?), and it was good. The only (and quite huge) problem is that you can't really tank multiple mobs at once, but it might be interesting what numbers you could pull off on singletarget as MT.

The spec isnt meant to be used for trash or for bosses that have multiple adds that you need to pick up, its meant for single target boss fights. One of my guilds tanks used it back in the naxx25 days on patchwerk just to try it out and it gave a significant DPS (and threat) increase since he could spam heroic strike and revenge. It is very much a gimmick spec, but it can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SPF18
    So, you lose a reduced CD on shield wall...2% stamina...a sunder that does damage...one of your most important AOE abilities...your charge...a stun

Have I made my point clear yet?

Perhaps for the lulz. I wouldn't even consider it for serious raiding, though.
    It's primarily for threat/dps boost only in fights you either out gear or are trying to meet a hard enrage timer (i.e. Hodir hard mode). If a tank has the option to dual spec two tanking specs this is a completely viable option but does require some getting used to if you haven't tanked pre-wotlk.

Keep in mind this isn't just a slight dps/threat boost, it's a considerable difference, and while the encounters may not make it necessary any more it's still a viable spec.

Curious if a warrior could stay alive using this spec as the first tank on Festergut, if so they would rape a lot of people in damage done.
    It's okay, I'm just more evolved than the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by sicness
    It's primarily for threat/dps boost only in fights you either out gear or are trying to meet a hard enrage timer (i.e. Hodir hard mode). If a tank has the option to dual spec two tanking specs this is a completely viable option but does require some getting used to if you haven't tanked pre-wotlk.

Keep in mind this isn't just a slight dps/threat boost, it's a considerable difference, and while the encounters may not make it necessary any more it's still a viable spec.
    With tricks and misdirects, threat isn't a valid arguement. Nor do I think it would be avalid arguement anyway with the changes to Devastate and how powerful it is glyphed. The arguement is adding one MAYBE 2k dps...probably closer to 1k with the changes (increased damage) to Devastate.

Remember most of the fights with multiple tanks require tanks to "switch" off which means for a lot of the fight you aren't going to be able to use Revenge...sure you're gonna get a mess of them when its your turn to tank and you pop SB and roll in the revenges, but what are you gonna do in the meantime?

I'd venture a guess that the DPS increase is not going to be all its cracked up to be. You're trying to compare Naxx fights which used the old mechanics of tank and spank from Vanilla wow...to ICC fights...its not gonna work.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

The stregnth of this build was for dps mainly, back in T7 content we ran DMC:Greatness and Grim toll or Mark of Norgannon, making this build incredibly potent for single target fights...Now however it's not so great and a lot of ICC fights require movement and mobility and the loss of dps from sunder isn't worth what you're making up unless you have a warrior dps doing it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugadin
    Curious if a warrior could stay alive using this spec as the first tank on Festergut, if so they would rape a lot of people in damage done.
    Half of the fight the warrior is going to get NO revenges...and nothing to spam in the meantime except sunders which do no damage. No Devastate...