Thread: Healing

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Healing

What do you think is best for healing 60+? I am thinking disc since it will help on the mana, yet my friend who is a 80 priest says go holy and never look back.
    What would you guys say?
    also, it will be my OS so need to worry about leveling with that spec.

Re: Healing

based on opinion. Do you prefer the term aoe healing or single target heals with great dmg reduction. You choose.

holy = boring
    disc = amazing

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by paul2k9
    holy = amazing
    disc = boring
    Got that fixed for my PoV. Like one of the previous posters stated it depends on what type of playstyle you like. I vastly prefer the Holy raid healing reactive style over the Disc 'bubbling everything that moves' with superior single target healing style. But one persons preference will be anothers anathema.

My advice? Try both specs. Do some random PuGs in each spec to get a feel for them, and then go for the one that feels 'right'. It doesn't exactly cost much to flit between the two if you don't have dual spec, and it isn't until 80 and start raids that you need to gear and gem for one spec over the other.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Only healing spec i haven't played with is pallies, but i've watched my friend play his, and by far the most interesting healing spec is Holypriest imo. I've found it to be far more dynamic than any other spec by about a mile, and whackamole is fun with like 9 different hammers no?

Disc is very good when you don't have good gear. Holy only really shines and is alot easier to play when you have better gear. i would go with disc until 80 at least, then look at holy and try it out. That's my opinion i'm not trying to say this is some absolute truth.

is this a good spec to start at for 60?
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhqoIsccMt

yeah its good to start with and then you can pick up the others as you see fit

also, thisll be my first time healing as a priest. i keep hearing you need to watch your mana alot.
    Can i get some tips on what to do when? i know sheild up first, then do i renew? or should i just flash light and if they get low use penance?

advice is needed! thanks

I went holy after I started to get some gear and love it. I particularly like my frisbee bouncing around doing 13-14k crits and the idea of trying to keep serendipity up when there is going to be incoming raid damage. But I also like disc too. IMO Holy Priests don't get the respect they deserve on my server.

one of the reasons im "scared" of holy is that with the gear im in, (lvl 50 gear or so) im afraid mana is gonna be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan
    one of the reasons im "scared" of holy is that with the gear im in, (lvl 50 gear or so) im afraid mana is gonna be a pain.

You're right about that, it will. Disc is vastly superior IMO at lower levels and even at low level 80 gear(200-232 ilvl) Once you start bouncing up to ToC25+ gear you'll see the big numbers.

I wouldn't start a raid without a disc priest, a holy pally, and a tree.
    Then I'd grab a resto shaman if it's 25 and I need more healers.

Then I'd grab duplicates of those.

Then, if I was desperate, I'd take a holy priest. They just don't bring anything to a raid that someone else wouldn't.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry

Then, if I was desperate, I'd take a holy priest. They just don't bring anything to a raid that someone else wouldn't.

Would you reroll on my server, please? ;D

Isn't this about what spec is better to level as?

Answer = discipline

Disc is far less gear dependent while leveling and in dungeons you are far more mana efficient and need to drink less. It isn't really even a competition. In 5 mans (which are all you can do leveling really) discipline heals a group just as well as holy. Group/AoE heals are also not that useful in 5 mans as they usually just waste mana. Glyph Penance and either FH or PW:S depending on healing preference.

Holy just uses too much mana and is based of large number and AoE heals that end up wasting your mana.

Some specs

LEVEL 60 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhVRhsfckt:Ab

LEVEL 70 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhVRGsffRt0x:Ab

LEVEL 80 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhVRIsffRt0xtc:Abm

Toward level 80 some people put those points from Divine Fury into Healing Focus and/or Spell Warding, I'd leave them in Divine Fury while leveling/doing 5 mans because I like to smite/holy fire mobs when bored/farming waiting for instances. Basically those 14 points in holy are up to you, but definitely get Inspiration and Desperate Prayer (saves you life more than you care to know).

EDIT: For More Info

I play a priest with both Holy and Disc spec/gear in a 11/12 ICC guild and I've raided priest since Vanilla. Holy is great in raids with 25 people, but until you're in 232+ gear you find yourself OOM more than you care to know, especially since your just now starting to play a priest and will be in 5 mans for a while.

Some discipline how to:

Discipline is about mitigating incoming damage first and foremost. You will never see yourself at the top of a meter, but that's ok. Your spells:

Power Word: Shield... just do it. This should be on your tank 100%. This mitigates a large ammount of damage, puts weakened soul on the tank (increase your healing), and returns ~90% of the mana cost back to you when it is fully absorbed. If you know AoE damage is coming to your group then use a bubble on everyone (no CD) and if absorbed most of the mana will make it back to you. Don't just bubble spam the DPS members because you can as this will eat through your mana. Also adds Renewed Hope to your party/raid.

Penance: Your "Go-to" spell. A quick healing burst that will put 3/3 Grace on the tank quickly. Best to use PW:S on the tank before this because Penance is affected by Borrowed Time and doesn't eat the charge so you can take advantage of the haste buff for Pennance and your next Flash Heal.

Flash Heal: Your spell of choice when the others are on cooldown.

Prayer of Mending: Like holy, this is a great heal that you don't even need to control. As a rule of thumb, keep this on cooldown on your tank.

Prayer of Healing: Use sparingly and only with Borrowed Time. If you're in a 5 man and the whole group needs a heal, use this.

Binding Heal: when you get this, use it when you and a target need heals. More healing and mana/time efficient that 2xFH. **As a side note, this spell offers more throughput than Flash Heal, so if you need bigger heals on a target more quickly and don't need to worry about mana, use this instead (all situational)**

Renew: Debated, but don't waste a GCD on this. Basically the only thing I use it for is Life-tapping warlocks.

There's not really a "rotation" but PW:S, PoM, Penance, FH in that order are the basics.

I can link some holy specs if you want to try. But I recommend giving disc a go first.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Murkuri

Answer = discipline

Disc is far less gear dependent while leveling and in dungeons you are far more mana efficient and need to drink less. It isn't really even a competition. In 5 mans (which are all you can do leveling really) discipline heals a group just as well as holy. Group/AoE heals are also not that useful in 5 mans as they usually just waste mana. Glyph Penance and either FH or PW:S depending on healing preference.

Holy just uses too much mana and is based of large number and AoE heals that end up wasting your mana.

Some specs

Toward level 80 some people put those points from Divine Fury into Healing Focus and/or Spell Warding, I'd leave them in Divine Fury while leveling/doing 5 mans because I like to smite/holy fire mobs when bored/farming waiting for instances. Basically those 14 points in holy are up to you, but definitely get Inspiration and Desperate Prayer (saves you life more than you care to know).
    I raid as holy and enjoy the spec over disc but I can't disagree with anything this guy said

Quote Originally Posted by Murkuri

Answer = discipline

Some specs

EDIT: For More Info

I play a priest with both Holy and Disc spec/gear in a 11/12 ICC guild and I've raided priest since Vanilla. Holy is great in raids with 25 people, but until you're in 232+ gear you find yourself OOM more than you care to know, especially since your just now starting to play a priest and will be in 5 mans for a while.

Some discipline how to:

Discipline is about mitigating incoming damage first and foremost. You will never see yourself at the top of a meter, but that's ok. Your spells:

Power Word: Shield... just do it. This should be on your tank 100%. This mitigates a large ammount of damage, puts weakened soul on the tank (increase your healing), and returns ~90% of the mana cost back to you when it is fully absorbed. If you know AoE damage is coming to your group then use a bubble on everyone (no CD) and if absorbed most of the mana will make it back to you. Don't just bubble spam the DPS members because you can as this will eat through your mana. Also adds Renewed Hope to your party/raid.

Penance: Your "Go-to" spell. A quick healing burst that will put 3/3 Grace on the tank quickly. Best to use PW:S on the tank before this because Penance is affected by Borrowed Time and doesn't eat the charge so you can take advantage of the haste buff for Pennance and your next Flash Heal.

Flash Heal: Your spell of choice when the others are on cooldown.

Prayer of Mending: Like holy, this is a great heal that you don't even need to control. As a rule of thumb, keep this on cooldown on your tank.

Prayer of Healing: Use sparingly and only with Borrowed Time. If you're in a 5 man and the whole group needs a heal, use this.

Binding Heal: when you get this, use it when you and a target need heals. More healing and mana/time efficient that 2xFH. **As a side note, this spell offers more throughput than Flash Heal, so if you need bigger heals on a target more quickly and don't need to worry about mana, use this instead (all situational)**

Renew: Debated, but don't waste a GCD on this. Basically the only thing I use it for is Life-tapping warlocks.

There's not really a "rotation" but PW:S, PoM, Penance, FH in that order are the basics.

I can link some holy specs if you want to try. But I recommend giving disc a go first.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry

Then your runs must be pretty terrible. I still don't understand this "Must hate Holy" thing that's been going on for the past 3 1/2 years. Is it still backlash from Vanilla? Really?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

i loves me holy priest. best healing comp imho is holy priest/resto druid/holy pally. Sweet buffs diff hots/some absorbs/and biggest heals in the game.

Holy priests are fine (granted those tier 10 bonuses could have been better) they are just hard to play and even harder to play well so people say they are bad. Topping meters are of many people's concerns but if you want to with a holy priest there are many ways to snipe. If you want to do your job Holy can get it done.