DPS/HPS by Spec: Top End, Real World Numbers

A project I have been working on recently went live in partnership with StratFu:

http://stratfu.com/kamigami/

I figured I'd post it here so that folks can check it out, discuss the findings, and see what other interesting information I can throw together.

3/12 Update: hard modes are now being handled by World of Logs and so are now being handled by my app.

What It Is

I built an app to scrape all the data from the World of Logs DPS and HPS Rankings for 25 mans (http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play...n_Citadel/dps/) and present the information with a little bit more summarization and comparison across specs. Median, maximum, minimum, and a compact chart with the general distribution of performance are all there for all normal mode 25 man fights in Icecrown.

It only uses parses from the last 2 weeks in an attempt to keep the information current when buffs/nerfs occur (either to fights or to specs). I also explicitly cut 5% of the records off the top and bottom since WoL still has some issues with invalid parses getting onto the lists.

What It Is Not

This data is not proof of anything aside from what the best players can do in ideal situations. Keep in mind that many of those making these rankings are intentionally ignoring fight mechanics (range staying close to Festergut, melee not target switching) or are getting all the best buffs a raid can throw at them (innervate, hysteria, tricks, PI, etc).

The data also does not support anything about raid composition or who guilds are bringing to fights. The number of records is simply a count of how many of the rankings landed in the 2 week window. Players not getting new records and the recent opening of hard modes are two major factors that make this number have little meaning (aside from seeing very, very few parses from some classes)

Known Limitations/Issues

- Spec detection for some classes (DK tanks, frost/arcane mages, feral bears) is not perfect on World of Logs at this time. That's why frost mages show up on the LK fight, some bears do insane damage, etc. Many of these will be automatically fixed if/when World of Logs gets their detection for those cases correct. Healers should be OK.

Enjoy!
    Creator of Raidbots.com

Re: DPS/HPS by Spec: Top End, Real World Numbers

Really cool to see this sort of data from real world raiding guilds. Thanks for all the effort you've put into it.

Most interesting thing, IMO, is the 1 Subtlety rogue showing up on the first few bosses. That is one stubborn rogue.

Is it effective healing or overall healing per second?

EDIT: Also, why no DK tanks lol?

The utility of WoL for diagnosing what happened in a fight is amazing but I have some issues with their DPS/HPS rankings.
    It seems very buggy at this moment. I've noted quite a few errors.

For examples, my resto druids name is Glósóli in Halcyon on US-Arathor.
    WMO currently ranks me at #8 US at 3452 ehps for our kill last week.
    The dashboard of our log that day on WoL (here, http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/aamtl08fvm50hz9c/) under rankings on the right put me at #110 with only 2802 ehps HOWEVER the log of the actual successful attempt (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...=12054&e=13102) put me at 3463 ehps - much more like the WMO log. That would put me at #7 on their current resto druid ehps rankings (http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play...oration_Druid/) however, I am noticeably missing.

15+ Year Old Account

Really interesting stuffs

Quote Originally Posted by glosoli
    The utility of WoL for diagnosing what happened in a fight is amazing but I have some issues with their DPS/HPS rankings.
    It seems very buggy at this moment. I've noted quite a few errors.
    Just taking a quick look at those parses, you've got HPS and EHPS mixed up. Your raw HPS on WoL is 3463 but your EHPS is 2780 which is what WoL uses for rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula

I believe WoL uses effective healing. And DK tank recognition is something they haven't put together but I believe is in the works. As soon as WoL supports it, I'll add it to my charts in very short order.
    Creator of Raidbots.com

Yeah DK tank recognition is kind of skewing the DK numbers, but nice job!

Would it be possible to add an "Overall" option to the dropdown menu to get an idea of the average performance a spec has through the whole raid?

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula

Its effective i regularly pull 30k+ on dreamwalker but world of logs ranking puts me at like 18k

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaving
    Yeah DK tank recognition is kind of skewing the DK numbers, but nice job!
    The values don't get skewed by "bad" players (or tanks who don't pull high DPS) unless there are just very few examples of that spec in a fight (sub rogues, BM hunters, frost mages, for example). I'm only looking at the top 200 overall parses for each spec/fight and the full data set of WoL probably contains many, many thousands of parses for these combinations. Once WoL does proper detection of tanks, they'll get added properly to the tank section.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard
    Would it be possible to add an "Overall" option to the dropdown menu to get an idea of the average performance a spec has through the whole raid?
    This is next on my list of things to add. I'll probably take an approach similar to some I've seen out there (show all specs and all fights in one table with only the median used as table data. From that data I could generate an "overall" comparison of specs across all Icecrown fights).

Quote Originally Posted by thetaurenrogue
    Its effective i regularly pull 30k+ on dreamwalker but world of logs ranking puts me at like 18k
    "Effective" can mean a couple different things and I'd like to be clear about what I believe WoL measures.

My understanding is that overhealing is ignored when determining HPS. WoL reports two numbers for each fight: HPS and EHPS. HPS = (Healing Done / Your Active Time). EHPS = (Healing Done / Total Fight Duration). On a fight like dreamwalker, your active time is much less than the total fight duration because you spend a considerable amount of time hopping into portals and gathering orbs and not "doing" anything that is directly measurable.
    Creator of Raidbots.com

Data on hard modes is now included in this. I believe some of the issues reported (spec detection for frost mages, for example) have been addressed on World of Logs' side.
    Creator of Raidbots.com

Is HPS really needed?
    People deliver the thought being low HPS compared to other classes is bad and then why about how their class is undpowered.

Updated to include a little more detailed stats on the collection of numbers from the 2 week period (average and standard deviation are the primary additions). Some folks had been curious about the numbers so here they are!
    Creator of Raidbots.com