Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Moonkin : 3.3.3 Starfall changes

Allright whats up Birdies!
    What can we say about the changes to starfall ? Except that its always nice to be buffed.
    Does it make the glyph of starfall a better choice than glyph of insect swarm (i know some owls liked it for the lich king fight) ?
    How much of a dps boost will this represent? its somewhere around 20% damage boost. If starfall is 5% of our damage done, thats a 1% dps boost?
    Boom.

Re: Moonkin : 3.3.3 Starfall changes

Really nothing important imo, eclypse remains the same, with same problems already known.
    Glyph of starfall is a 3% dps loose, with the buff it will become 2%, for my bad maths. Btw all depends by fights, i already run with glyph of starfall for 3% + avoidance to tanks since a good while except in static fights with no adds like Bql.
    Hope they will add something sweet in the final build of this patch.

Nothing to see here IMHO. Scaling limitations due to the haste and crit soft caps remain main issue in pve, surviving long enough to bring the utility that moonkin supposedly has remains the issue in pvp. The starfall buff is a nice nudge to try and keep us in line with everyone else but in the end is nothing more than a bandage. The may as well have just boosted Earth and Moon again.

I remain hopeful that something inspiring will get put in before the final patch hits. Moderators like Ghostcrawler seem to have been receptive to the current problems, so I am trying not to be jaded and cynical. These changes don't help that though =/

-Thedrun

Bah he's not asking whether you wanted it over Eclipse/Nature's Grace changes, he wants to know if Glyphed it out performs Glyph of IS.

I too am curious

But I'm awful at Moonkin math...

Quote Originally Posted by Obad
    Does it make the glyph of starfall a better choice than glyph of insect swarm (i know some owls liked it for the lich king fight) ?
    Pretty sure it already was? Either way, Glyph of Starfall has been a good one to use for quite a while now...

How much of a dps boost will this represent? its somewhere around 20% damage boost. If starfall is 5% of our damage done, thats a 1% dps boost?
    It's a 20% boost to base damage. Whether that boost carried through to spell coefficients we really don't know yet unless someone's actually testing it on the PTR?

If it is, then yeah, it's about a 1% DPS boost overall. Not huge, but it all adds up...

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Deleted

It wasn't, however i guess the opening of new challenging hard modes made the case for an unglyphed IS much more worthwhile in terms of global raid benefits. The good thing being that unglyphing IS, adapting the rotation and integrating the Starfall glyph did result in a very low dps decrease compared to IS glyph (against a single target, several targets can easily push starfall on the front).

10+ Year Old Account

PvE:
    Starfall usually is ~3,0% of my total damage on bosses.
    The damage buff is ~30% (29,91)

So yea, 1% damage buff... not much but it's something.

I will still be going with IS MF SF glyphs :/

PvP:
    About the blue post earlier
    "we do want to add more burst to Balance for PvP purposes"

If blizzard wants to add more burst to balance (only GC knows why they'd do that anyway) 30% more damage on starfall is not the right thing to do.
    Starfall just breaks all the CC and changing 1k ticks -> 1,3k ticks isn't really gonna help.

If they want to help moonkins in arenas they should try to reduce the RNG of the burst damage and maybe give moonkins a decent spell to finish someone off. Maybe make typhoon hit harder on targets below X% health? Make typhoon hit X% harder on targets afflicted by Insect swarm?

Overall:
    - If they want to buff PvE damage, Rather buff IS / MF scaling or Change Nature's Grace
    - If they want to buff PvP damage, Rather give moonkins a spell to finish someone off, Instant cast with decent singletarget damage

And if they have decided they wanna change / buff Starfall do it like this:
    "When your starfall ability deals damage to a target with Moonfire DoT up it instantly deals damage equal to 20% of moonfires damage"

20% would be 1 tick of moonfre, that would buff Starfalls singletarget damage by quite alot and it would be somehow usable in PvP to for greater pressure, but still quite easily countered by Dispelling the moonfire.

Just my sleepy thoughts.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dje
    It wasn't, however i guess the opening of new challenging hard modes made the case for an unglyphed IS much more worthwhile in terms of global raid benefits. The good thing being that unglyphing IS, adapting the rotation and integrating the Starfall glyph did result in a very low dps decrease compared to IS glyph (against a single target, several targets can easily push starfall on the front).
    I've become very enamoured with using the starfall glyph. With the introduction of hard modes, it's a no brainer.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted

The change means that starfall will do ~1400 more damage on a single target. With Glyph of Starfall, you are looking at a 23,3 DPS increase from this change (before assuming raid debuffs and the like).

10+ Year Old Account

Been using Glyph of Starfall since ICC came out instead of Starfire cus i just got use to the rotation to reapply the dots at the same time. so no biggie there
    I am however disapointed that we did not get a dot increase or changes but nothing im gonna be emo about we should be use to these "tiny" changes by now ;p
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
    www.twitch.tv/mcitra

Deleted

You want a dot increase? Use Glyph of Starfire. If you want to use Glyph of Starfall, its Glyph of Insect Swarm that has to go.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Morning_star
    Glyph of starfall is a 3% dps loose, with the buff it will become 2%, for my bad maths.
    Yes, very bad maths, IS and Starfall glyph were quite close in DPS increase before this. Now the gap is even smaller, making starfall glyph definitely better for raiding since it has no drawback.
    Oh, hi.

About PVP, i know Starfall is kind of a big-ish cooldown for moonkins, they pop it when they know theyll have the full duration up without interrupts and when theyre going for the kill, so more damage is probably good news for them too. I think the 20% damage buff is more significant when you use it on a target with 25k ish health vs a 20 mil health ppool.
    btw
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedrun
    Nothing to see here IMHO. Scaling limitations due to the haste and crit soft caps remain main issue in pve, surviving long enough to bring the utility that moonkin supposedly has remains the issue in pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning_star
    Really nothing important imo, eclypse remains the same, with same problems already known.
    Awesome dodging the subject lol
    Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla
    Yes, very bad maths, IS and Starfall glyph were quite close in DPS increase before this. Now the gap is even smaller, making starfall glyph definitely better for raiding since it has no drawback.
    Its also quite a good spell to cast while Omen of Doom is buffing our damage. I'm going to drop my IS glyph right now
    Boom.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Balourd
    Its also quite a good spell to cast while Omen of Doom is buffing our damage. I'm going to drop my IS glyph right now
    Yes, Omen of doom + ashen ring proc + starfall = huge win

That's another point forgotten by most theorycrafters on starfall, you can use it whenever you will benefit the most of it (for damage boost, or for NG proc when trying to proc eclipse with SF), not always whenever it's available.
    Oh, hi.

Ok we have one problem here. People are semingly confusing Glyph of Focus(increased damage but redced radius) with Glyph of Starfire( minus 30 sec on CD). Glyph of Starfall is a godsend in ICC for two reasons

1) lowering the CD to 1 min can put it inline w/ engineering haste gloves for a nice and easy macro, and on fights like festergut lets you cut loose with it 2 times more which has hepled us down him regularly

2) If you think about it were a support class that can dish out the hurt and the 3% chance to be missed mt IS nicely takes out 15% if that ICC dodge debuff if you need help in fights w/ extra mobs make a focus macro to dish out IS. And the miss is for spells as well so its better than 3% dodge.

In the end you do more damage and the tanks/healers are happier so go Glyph of Starfall just watch your surroundings for trash.

Ok we have one problem here. People are semingly confusing Glyph of Focus(increased damage but redced radius) with Glyph of Starfire( minus 30 sec on CD). Glyph of Starfire is a godsend in ICC for two reasons
    Looks like you are confusing Glyph of Starfall and Glyph of Starfire.

/cast star..something! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Balourd
    Awesome dodging the subject lol
    I already answered to the question upstairs , and that's the matter, if you wanna talk about a new incoming combat pet in addition to faerie fire doing 0,2 k dps, that's really a question to discuss seriously .

Quote Originally Posted by Lyren
    Looks like you are confusing Glyph of Starfall and Glyph of Starfire.
    Looks like you need to do research before posting.

Glyph of Focus: Increases the damage done by Starfall by 20%, but decreases its radius by 50%

Glyph of Starfall: Reduces the cooldown of Starfall by 30 sec.