1. #1
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    So today I gemmed haste

    ... for the luz.

    Anyway, I wanted to see how it played out with gemming haste instead of spellpower on a bunch of high dps encounters (Lady Deathwhisper and Festergut in special).

    I replaced my Runed Dragon's Eyes (39sp) with Quick Dragon's Eyes (34 haste), and my Runed Cardinal Ruby (23 sp) with Reckless Ametrine (12 sp, 10 haste). Beyond that I kept my purple gems, and already socked orange gems to save socket bonuses. (See my armoury link in my signature for full character view).

    All in all, I changed roughly 135 spellpower into 122 haste rating. So self-buffed I had 1121 haste (I got the wand after the Festergut).

    The result was good I think. No notorious dps drop, nor any signifigent gain. I can't really say the difference in haste made a difference you could feel, but somehow I kinda like it.

    But so what to do now. Keep the haste gems, or go back to spellpower

  2. #2

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    I play a mag and though its a little different. Ive noticed that the haste/sp orange gems are really nice. Iforget what they are called. But you might try those?

  3. #3

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Haadrian
    I play a mag and though its a little different. Ive noticed that the haste/sp orange gems are really nice. Iforget what they are called. But you might try those?
    Reckless Ametrine.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    I even wrote the name

  5. #5
    Mechagnome crikk23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    bottom of the bottle
    Posts
    630

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    ... for the luz.

    Anyway, I wanted to see how it played out with gemming haste instead of spellpower on a bunch of high dps encounters (Lady Deathwhisper and Festergut in special).

    I replaced my Runed Dragon's Eyes (39sp) with Quick Dragon's Eyes (34 haste), and my Runed Cardinal Ruby (23 sp) with Reckless Ametrine (12 sp, 10 haste). Beyond that I kept my purple gems, and already socked orange gems to save socket bonuses. (See my armoury link in my signature for full character view).

    All in all, I changed roughly 135 spellpower into 122 haste rating. So self-buffed I had 1121 haste (I got the wand after the Festergut).


    The result was good I think. No notorious dps drop, nor any signifigent gain. I can't really say the difference in haste made a difference you could feel, but somehow I kinda like it.

    But so what to do now. Keep the haste gems, or go back to spellpower


    edit(sorry about that dang postthing being crazy )

    if you like it use it...as long as its not a huge drop in dps and its fun keep it


    im trap in this bullshit this routine of life. they build us all up just to tear us all down.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit
    "its like my tongue on LSD"

  6. #6
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Yeah, that's the thing. Lot of haste seems incredible fun to play with, and I somehow don't think a drop of 13 spellpower makes a whole lot of difference on that part.

    Perhaps I should get haste food... but then again, Fish Feasts are free

  7. #7
    Mechagnome crikk23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    bottom of the bottle
    Posts
    630

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Yeah, that's the thing. Lot of haste seems incredible fun to play with, and I somehow don't think a drop of 13 spellpower makes a whole lot of difference on that part.

    Perhaps I should get haste food... but then again, Fish Feasts are free

    its a game so....


    fun>DPS
    im trap in this bullshit this routine of life. they build us all up just to tear us all down.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit
    "its like my tongue on LSD"

  8. #8

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    The DPS differential wouldn't be too much, though it may lose some value given Bloodlust, but its uptime in consideration of fight durations is "meh" to begin with.

    On the other hand, with haste, my guess is dropping that spellpower may not seem like a loss but you're burning through your mana faster, and probably would be needing the cooldowns that much sooner, and over the course of full hardmode durations your DPS would go down over time. I can't say the state of Shadow with that much haste, but that's the general feeling I have right now.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  9. #9
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Mana wasn't a issue beyond the normal. Shadowfiend is a dps increase anyways, so the faster I get to burn 30% mana, the better.

    Also hardmodes is a town in Russia. I'm in a casual guild, limited raid hours, and finishing my cs thesis, so no way I would be swapping guild for such anytime soon

    The point of the haste stacking is more to say "hey look, simulationcraft is utterly useless!". Which I'd say, it managed to prove just fine.

  10. #10

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    your tempting me to do the same ;D. I might just hold off on it for a while though lol.

  11. #11

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenityx
    your tempting me to do the same ;D. I might just hold off on it for a while though lol.

    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...gath&cn=Jonish

    be further tempted. haste wins on multi target fights or any aoe situation. It is a SLIGHT dps loss for single target encounters but the difference in the increase you get in multi dotting and aoe situations is fairly large with enough haste. Ive been switching my gems back personally to more pure SP gems and SP/spirit for socket bonuses and regen but i am making sure I am maintaining over 1200 haste.

    I seem to have found a very good medium for both sides of the argument. If our Hard Mode 10 mans were recorded tonight where i pulled #1 on every encounter but Bloodqueen which we all know is just a gimmick fight then i would have numbers to back it but i do not know if it was posted on wowmeters or not.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

  12. #12

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Today a did a test using no previous data and didn't record any data to show that even though it's clearly silly to gem haste, I was able to waste some money and still prove no nothing.

  13. #13

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    ... for the luz.

    Anyway, I wanted to see how it played out with gemming haste instead of spellpower on a bunch of high dps encounters (Lady Deathwhisper and Festergut in special).

    I replaced my Runed Dragon's Eyes (39sp) with Quick Dragon's Eyes (34 haste), and my Runed Cardinal Ruby (23 sp) with Reckless Ametrine (12 sp, 10 haste). Beyond that I kept my purple gems, and already socked orange gems to save socket bonuses. (See my armoury link in my signature for full character view).

    All in all, I changed roughly 135 spellpower into 122 haste rating. So self-buffed I had 1121 haste (I got the wand after the Festergut).

    The result was good I think. No notorious dps drop, nor any signifigent gain. I can't really say the difference in haste made a difference you could feel, but somehow I kinda like it.

    But so what to do now. Keep the haste gems, or go back to spellpower
    This would seem to corroborate that:

    a) SP and Haste are basically equivalent
    b) Haste yields linear returns for attainable gear and there are no soft caps or plataeus

    I suppose it's good to physically test this out but this knowledge was already known... I suggest you just gem for socket bonuses and thus eek out the maximum amount of stats possible from the gear you have... in addition having SP instead of haste increases your DPM and should be an asset for any hard modes you do or encounters that are unusually long.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Yeah, and I don't think I'll gem haste in the long run, but it's pretty fun to test out.

    Granted it was SIMULATED, but it seems fun enough to try out. However, I'm very tempted to stick with Recless Ametrine for all Red and Yellow sockets (beyond my 3 JC gems). I still got to much crit on my gear

  15. #15

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    I've thought about doing this aswell tho i've never been sitting on the amounts of gold to do it, but now I am. But as ICC released I thought it's better to have high dmg than fast dmg?
    Sure, you will get more ticks on spikes and adds etc but isn't it better to hit just a little but slower but harder on those things? :S

  16. #16

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Yeah, and I don't think I'll gem haste in the long run, but it's pretty fun to test out.
    You only got 50 more haste rating than I have in gear that is gemmed conventionally...

    So I guess from that point of view your test was very similar to what I have naturally... 1077 haste rating FYI

  17. #17

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Bah, I'm stuck with way too much crit and then I read this kind of topic :'(

    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...blight&n=crpzz

    1230 crit
    745 haste
    2923 spellpower

  18. #18

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    faster globals make the game feel less clunky, and thus, more fun, it also allows for faster use of utility, if shadow uses any of that.

  19. #19
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: So today I gemmed haste

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    You only got 50 more haste rating than I have in gear that is gemmed conventionally...

    So I guess from that point of view your test was very similar to what I have naturally... 1077 haste rating FYI
    You're using a (bad) haste staff

    I got 1022 haste when gemmed conventionally, and I would then have 100+ more spellpower than you ;-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •