Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My Shadow DPS low?

So, I recently lost my account, and had to relevel my priest. But since the guild was full of healers, they had me go shadow.

I've played shadow a bit in the past, but never really looked into it (Until recently), but I've been working very hard on it. However, my dps is fairly low, and if I don't bring it up soon I'm prolly going to lose my raid spot.

Basicly, I was wondering if anyone could look over my stuffs and tell me what I might be doing wrong? Am I gemming, gearing or enchanting wrong? Is it that I'm clipping dots(I try not too, but I'm not sure)? Do I just suck overall?

This is my armory

And this is what my gear is going to look after I get my T10 gloves (Tomorrow).

**Random note, I know I have a blue quality gem in the gloves, I've just been putting off replacing it since I'm going to get the T10 tomorrow, and will need to swap around some gear for it ><**

Here's a parse of me just whacking on a dummy for a little bit (I shortened the time frame, just cause I messed up with the WoL Client)

And heres one from ICC(Please ignore festergut...I screwed up really bad there ><) and ToGC25.

Sorry if I'm asking for a lot, I'm just trying to get better, and also trying to be as helpful in here as possible.

Thank you for your time
    To avoid innuendo, the Wii should've been called the "Perfect Nintendo Entertainment System", or "PNES" for short.

Re: My Shadow DPS low?

I think ur dps doesn't have any problem, doing 6.7k with ur gear in saurfang is acceptable. the dot uptime is reasonable and sure it can be improved.
    try to use ur shadowfriend at the beginning of the fight and u can use it once again.
    Btw, I will not get the t10 gloves with badges atm, for i the first 2 items are the head and shoulder. dropping 2pc of T9 will drop ur dps atm.
    try ur luck via VOA10/VOA25 for the gloves and pants.

Deleted

Hey mate.
    Are you using any particoular addon as shadow? There are quite a few that are really helpful:
    MFCLIP (sort of total cast bar which shows dot ticks, timers etc - its harder to describe than seeing it yourself, really. It helps you not clipping MF, with recasts etc. It also tells you your dots uptime, dps loss and the like).

ShadowGreenLight: it monitores your current target's debuffs, and tells you if you have to recast any of your spells to get full benefith from them.

Well its not properly gear suggestion, but as shadow you want some support from addons Hope it helped.

Currently only using classtimers, but I'll look into those, ty =)

try ur luck via VOA10/VOA25 for the gloves and pants.
    3 weeks and nothing =( voa has always hated me q_q
    To avoid innuendo, the Wii should've been called the "Perfect Nintendo Entertainment System", or "PNES" for short.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophontos
    Hey mate.
    Are you using any particoular addon as shadow? There are quite a few that are really helpful:
    MFCLIP (sort of total cast bar which shows dot ticks, timers etc - its harder to describe than seeing it yourself, really. It helps you not clipping MF, with recasts etc. It also tells you your dots uptime, dps loss and the like).

ShadowGreenLight: it monitores your current target's debuffs, and tells you if you have to recast any of your spells to get full benefith from them.

Well its not properly gear suggestion, but as shadow you want some support from addons Hope it helped.
    the new version of quartz already provide the function of MFClip

Quote Originally Posted by Liard
    Currently only using classtimers, but I'll look into those, ty =)

3 weeks and nothing =( voa has always hated me q_q
    however the t9 helm is the worst i have seen

I have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50807, was just waiting till I broke my T9 2 set to use it, and since I was goin to break it by replaceing head or gloves (And getting T10 2 set), I thought I would get the gloves.

Should I still get the T10 head though?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by PriestAnoma
    the new version of quartz already provide the function of MFClip
    Quartz, now, shows you only tics of the dot you are casting - or maybe they implemented different this time (im used to disable all the other features)?
    With MFClip I can keep an eye on all the other tics (with latency), for optimal recasts

That works for me anyway.

I have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50807, was just waiting till I broke my T9 2 set to use it, and since I was goin to break it by replaceing head or gloves (And getting T10 2 set), I thought I would get the gloves.

Should I still get the T10 head though?
    here is my armory
    http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sh...cn=Priestanoma
    I am getting 4pc now,
    the changing sequence is head and shoulder first, do not break t9 x 2 bonus
    and collecting another 155 badges
    getting the hands and pants at the same time with 4pc
    just get a 264 pants via voa25 yesterday, if i get it earlier.
    I will use 95 badges for the badges clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophontos
    Quartz, now, shows you only tics of the dot you are casting - or maybe they implemented different this time (im used to disable all the other features)?
    With MFClip I can keep an eye on all the other tics (with latency), for optimal recasts

That works for me anyway.
    oh really??
    maybe i will try the MFClip tonight to see are there any dps gain on dummy

Which piece of T9 should I get then? My only 2 are head and gloves. I have the Merlin's robe, T10 shoulders, and some fancy 258 pants atm.

Heya matey,

in terms of a dot counter I use EventHorizon, it lets you know not only when your dots expire, but when they tick as well (helpful for getting mindflay in, in time to renew shadow word pain) also helps for starting to cast vampiric touch so its back up with about 0.1 secs downtime, you have to look at the addon to understand what I mean here really but it is truely helpful

One additional point that I could add, you do more dps than I do but your gear is far better than mine, if your doing 6k on a target dummy i'd personally say that's good, one little cheat you can use to up your dps more is to take Inner Focus, the talent isn't so great but if you use that, in conjunction with the Nevermelting Ice Crystal, when you have 5 stacks of shadow weaving and things like Earth and Moon on the boss, with your current crit rating casting Shadow Word pain would make it have 73% crit rating, providing you can keep it renewed with mind flay i've found this to be a big dps increase

I believe they intend to fix this but hey ho, whilst it works you may want to use it, anything that buffs your crit, even temporarily, will stay with Shadow Word Pain, providing you have it when you cast it, and keep it renewed with mindflay

Edit - If the boss involves a damage increase mechanic, such as Icehowl, you should wait till then to cast SW:P with the increased crit, this way not only do you get 70%+ crit you also get the increase damage buff for as long as you maintain it, even when the damage increase drops from the boss

Your stats are fair, you should do much more (around 7.5/8k) than this, especially on movement fights.
    I'm pretty sure you are nearly ok on tank and spank fights like saurfang, but you fail badly on others so the problem might be your ability to multidot (wich is essential unless the raidleader tells you to not do it, but he must be a stupid rl then) and the ability to move as a caster.

1- Your dot uptime is way too low on some bosses, 90-95% is acceptable, less than this is not.
    Never clip your dots.

2- Throw some SWD when you have a free gcd instead of another MF, clipping MF is hard, especially if you have 150+ latency, try to avoid it if possible.
    If your latency is low and you have 2GCD free clip MF after 2 ticks, if the free GCD is one -> SWD

3- Multidot everything you see, even if you are not supposed to dps that add, it won't surely hurt and it will improve your and your mates dps assigned to that add.

4- Learn to move as a caster dps, more often that you think people are moving for useless reasons, try to position yourself in order to not move too much, or just a few steps when needed.

Which piece of T9 should I get then? My only 2 are head and gloves. I have the Merlin's robe, T10 shoulders, and some fancy 258 pants atm.
    in shadowpriest.com, dropping t9 x 2 will cause a 133 dps decrease.
    If I were u, I will try to pug ToC25, get the token for t9.25 clothes and get the badges for t10 head.
    also try ur luck to get the Reign of the Dead(245)

Quote Originally Posted by TagTeam
    Edit - If the boss involves a damage increase mechanic, such as Icehowl, you should wait till then to cast SW:P with the increased crit, this way not only do you get 70%+ crit you also get the increase damage buff for as long as you maintain it, even when the damage increase drops from the boss
    while this is true in theory, it is not for this particular fight. read here for more information: http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.ph...hilit=modifier

@OP: there is nothing really wrong with your gear, however, you should move your second blue gem from the bracers to the cloak as it will net you a better socket bonus.

you could improve your dotuptime by about 10%, 85-90% uptime on worldoflogs should be enough to do good dps (95%+ is not achievable and even less necessary if you look at the toprated shadowpriests for every boss)

i only looked at your marrowgarperformance, so i could be wrong here: although you were only targeted twice by the spike, you did less overall mindflay ticks, than you should do in half the fight time. basically, you just stand there watching your precious dots ticking. if thats NOT the case, you are clipping like hell and really should look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by notanarrogantwizard

i only looked at your marrowgarperformance, so i could be wrong here: although you were only targeted twice by the spike, you did less overall mindflay ticks, than you should do in half the fight time. basically, you just stand there watching your precious dots ticking. if thats NOT the case, you are clipping like hell and really should look into this.
    For that fight, I was trying to find spikes, then after I had them targeted and puts dots on em, they would die before I got to flay. Usually I don't have that issue, still new to ICC tho :P

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by PriestAnoma
    in shadowpriest.com, dropping t9 x 2 will cause a 133 dps decrease.
    If I were u, I will try to pug ToC25, get the token for t9.25 clothes and get the badges for t10 head.
    also try ur luck to get the Reign of the Dead(245)
    this, or if you are full of triumphs and want a fast upgrade, grab the Helm.

The t9 bonus is really great only if you are 'new' to the class mechanics in hcs\raid, it lets you manage your dots more smoothly. Otherwise isnt a big bonus, not much damage increase if you can obtain better gear or if you know your rotation awesomely. Or at least is what i found out.

Hold on to tier 9 2pc with your dear life. Only time you drop it is when you go to 4 piece tier 10. The bonus is a boost to multi target dotting and single target dps because it leave you with at least 2 extra MFs to cast before you have to re cast. VT is way easier to manage with an extra 6 secs as well.

For that fight, I was trying to find spikes, then after I had them targeted and puts dots on em, they would die before I got to flay. Usually I don't have that issue, still new to ICC tho :P
    TBH you need a new strat for that fight, everyone gets behind the boss in the hit box, when he spikes everyone AOE's for about 3 secs and all spikes are down. No dodging flames except during bonestorm helps alot as well. Keep dpsing during bonestorm and fade with about 3-5 seconds left. Don't move too much during bonestorm as well, if he chases you stand there let him drop his flames then move a bit.

I know your trying to help, but on the marrowgar issue, if it's not broke, why fix it?

But tyvm everyone with advice!