Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Pets for PvP/PvE.

If we're talking straight numbers, in GENERAL, the Devilsaur is the best pet for BM in PvE b/c of the self-buffs. This is, typically, referring to longer fights. Wolves are still considered very good, of course, because of their Furious Howl ability which buffs the Hunter.

Keep in mind, how you talent the pet will also make a big difference.

Personally, I have a Devilsaur, Spirit Beast and Wolf. Of those three, the wolf is used the least, out of personal preference. Some people I normally play with request the devilsaur frequently, actually. I think they just like watching him.

For PvP, the "best" is usually considered a crab. I haven't played with one. I worked with a hyena for a while but just wasn't loving it. If I had more stable slots, I'd have kept it and leveled it properly, as their Hamstring ability can be nice crowd control. Right now I'm playing with a Warp Stalker. Thought I'd try it out - no real crowd control benefits, but I do like the warp ability for sneaky attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by pomop
    Get either a spider or crab for pvp. Crab has more defensive, spider has more... mix. Spiders web is dispellable and can be cast at range, pin cannot be dispelled but requires it to be channeled in melee range.
    pin can be dispelled

Someone could tell me the best PVP sv spec pls

PvE - Wolf is king.

PvP it all depends on what you plan on. Spider is overall the best pet to get, but there's many useful pvp pets, I think bats have a stun, birds have disarm, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolicious
    Hitting 80 tomorrow. And well going SV since I've read its the best specc for PvE Dps (Atleast in the beginning).
    So where do I tame this Wolf? Searched on wowhead but I might be retarded.

Got a crab atleast for PvP later on so.
    Crab kinda sucks due to melee-range requirement. Not sure if it's a cunning pet either, so you don't get some of those benefits such as being non-crittable for 12 seconds, regenning 30% of your mana every 2 minutes. etc.

In all honesty, the type of pet you have in PVE will not make or break your DPS if you know what you are doing.
    ~120DPS between wolf and whatever else isn't really so much that you HAVE to have the mandatory wolf pet.
    For PVP, it all depends on what you want to do.
    For arenas, I like using the core hound for the caster slow, but then again I'm in a beast cleave team, so we faceroll our way to blowing people up fast, which a slow casting speed on a healer is nice.
    A crab or spider will be good if you go MM or SV for PVP, especially with melee-heavy teams or in BGs.
    Chimera is nice for the spit thing it does too.

In short, the pet (unless BM) is not a make-or-break part of the class.
    Play around, see which one you like.
    (GOGO Pink Tallstrider lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Slurr
    pin can be dispelled
    Well not conventionally. Pin needs to be removed by BoF or something like that, where web can be cleansed and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn
    Crab kinda sucks due to melee-range requirement. Not sure if it's a cunning pet either, so you don't get some of those benefits such as being non-crittable for 12 seconds, regenning 30% of your mana every 2 minutes. etc.
    Crab is a tenacity pet, so technically crab is a better defensive pet than a spider. But yea it all comes down to what the player prefers. I prefer crab for a last minute burst before he can LoS me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magog29
    I was wrong on wolf according to EJ for BM. They do list Devilsaur as the highest dps pet. (with wolf a very close second.)

As for pvp, bgs I still find I prefer chimera. Arena I could see the corehound arguement. Is there something else I am missing here as to why you would choose the corehound over the chimera?
    The thing with the Bm pets are that it depends on what setup you are facing.. The Corehound would be a very nice pet against a caster heavy team, where the chimera would be to be prefered against others..

As for Bgs You could use whatever and still kick ass.. Use a Sporebat and hide behind everyone else.. You'll still top the killingblow list

The CLEAR Pve pet is still the wolf.. For MM and SV.. I would stick with it if you pug alot.. If not.. then pets like cats and similar works aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn
    Tenacity gets roar of sacrifice now, as well as intervene (an EXTREMELY good skill if timed well, you can intervene anything from a white hit to blind, sap, poly, etc) and last stand.

I prefer the spider for pvp, even though it's a bit squishy. This is because it can web somebody from far away. Crabs need to get into melee range. Crabs do get intervene, but I find it somewhat awkward to use as a hunter. It's damn good if you're skilled with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    I prefer the spider for pvp, even though it's a bit squishy. This is because it can web somebody from far away. Crabs need to get into melee range. Crabs do get intervene, but I find it somewhat awkward to use as a hunter. It's damn good if you're skilled with it though.
    A charge>pin macro can help, it can charge even while CCed last I checked. I just keep charge and pin on auto cast, so when I send my crab to attack it pins. It's damage is so minimal that I keep it on passive unless I actually need its abilities, especially considering that if you have it attack someone they may LoS it and kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolicious
    Hitting 80 tomorrow. And well going SV since I've read its the best specc for PvE Dps (Atleast in the beginning).
    So where do I tame this Wolf? Searched on wowhead but I might be retarded.

Got a crab atleast for PvP later on so.
    Any <a href=http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/families/family_wolf.html>wolf</a> will do, no matter where you tame them from. If you're looking for rare wolves, then definitely head over to http://www.wow-petopia.com to do your shopping. Personally, my hunter has <a href=http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mob_oldcliffjumper.html>Old Cliff Jumper</a>, since he's technically the rarest looking wolf you can find. Though you may see lots of other hunters with him as well, because some hunters (like me) are crazy and will camp spots looking for the rare spawn/skin pets.

Since my hunter is an alt, it wasn't uncommon to check during down time in a raid to quickly check spawns or not. Pet collecting is a disease.

My only regret was not trying to tame a spirit wolf before they decided to remove taming from them, even though they said they wouldn't.