Priest professions: What to take?

Hey there,
    After I quited for 1 year I've activated my playtime again and I'm playing a priest right now.
    Anyways, as I'm quite outdated with a lot of stuff I'm wondering which professions are worth taking with this state of the game...
    I'm planning to do PvP (Arena mainly) and a bit of heroics (and perhaps 10 PuG's). I'd like a profession that does not take LOADS of money, but instead also gives some. (I don't only want gathering skills).
    I was thinking between:
    Enchanting / Tailoring (I'm wondering, is Enchanting profitable? isn't it very expensive to level?)
    Mining / JCing
    Other suggestions are welcome as well
    Thanks in advance : )
    Oh, and I'm sorry if there are already threads like this.

Re: Priest professions: What to take?

Cannot go worng with engineering:
    Rocket boots, great for escaping
    Hyperspeed accels and rocket launchers.
    bomb belt
    Back enchant

plus loads of other toys

For pvp - I would definitely take up engineering. I personally on my priest don't pvp alot, and she has JC / Alch. And I LOVE it.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

So, I see Engineering seems quite fun for PvP (and so does the mount, tbh).
    Anyways, is enchanting profitable and worth it as I asked before? As Tailoring seems quite useful as well.

Engineering is not a money-making prof; if anything, its a money sink, at least for me. Tailoring isn't exactly either but its at least middle of the road. I've got both on my PvE priest, I rarely PvP any more after all. But I do enjoy them both. Tailoring's back enchant is very good and Engi is just plain fun with some utility thrown in for when things get sticky (I'm thinking nitro boots and hyperspeed hands but tossing out a bomb to help with dps a bit isn't all that bad either).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaver
    So, I see Engineering seems quite fun for PvP (and so does the mount, tbh).
    Anyways, is enchanting profitable and worth it as I asked before? As Tailoring seems quite useful as well.
    you can make tons of money with enchanting if done right.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

The back enchant from tailoring is quite good. Tailoring is a very bad moneymaker though.
    Enchanting is good for money if you learn to sell enchants. It's also working well with tailoring.
    Jewelcrafting is very awesome for everything.
    Inscription isn't a bad choice either; good for money and gives the same benefits as the other professions.
    And finally, alchemy is very great if you raid a lot. Especially when flasks cost 50g on the AH.
    If you want some fun, try Engineering. You lose out in power, but priests seem to be all about fun utility anyway. Go all out

Not so great:
    Mining. Stamina doesn't befit you much.
    Herbalism. A weak hot isn't very useful either.
    Skinning. Skins are worthless, crit isn't that good a stat for priests.
    Leatherworking. You can't use leather.
    Blacksmithing. You can't use plate.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaver
    Hey there,
    After I quited for 1 year I've activated my playtime again and I'm playing a priest right now.
    Anyways, as I'm quite outdated with a lot of stuff I'm wondering which professions are worth taking with this state of the game...
    I'm planning to do PvP (Arena mainly) and a bit of heroics (and perhaps 10 PuG's). I'd like a profession that does not take LOADS of money, but instead also gives some. (I don't only want gathering skills).
    I was thinking between:
    Enchanting / Tailoring (I'm wondering, is Enchanting profitable? isn't it very expensive to level?)
    Mining / JCing
    Other suggestions are welcome as well
    Thanks in advance : )
    Oh, and I'm sorry if there are already threads like this.
    enchanting is not profitable at all unless your one of those people who like to sit on the IF bridge and spam a macro for hours on end. The money is in having an alchemist / jewelcrafter.

Both are also very good professions to have in general. Alchemy makes raiding really cheap and jewelcrafting gives one of the better overall benefits as a profession on top of being a money maker.

the money though is in leveling an alchemist and xmuting blue gems and eternals into epic gems every day(cardinal rubies specifically) and then cutting them and selling.

The mats can be bought on the AH to do the xmute to make the gems for very cheap typically especially if you buy them in bulk ahead of time. then you just make a gem once a day and watch the money roll in.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Thanks everyone so far
    Anyways, I'm not going to take 2 crafting skills as it's quite expensive and I don't have higher character's on this server (Except for Tailoring / Enchanting, as I don't need a gathering skill). So I'm wondering the Flash of the North. Is this like a free flask which you can activate 24/7? If so, it seems quite awesome... A free flask for everywhere. However the mixolgy seems quite useless for the moment as I'm not planning to raid.
    As I said before, I'd like to make a bit of profit and not spend SHITLOADS of money on leveling it.
    I'm open for more suggestions.

as a healer

alchemy/jewel crafting/tailoring

as a DPS

engineering/alchemy (jewel crafting is piss poor compared to alchemy, alchemy gives the same amount of extra SP plus you get an extra hour on flasks)

The 24/7 flask(it's flask of the north if im not mistaken) is there to match the benefits from other proffs (ring enchants,dragon eyes,gem slots etc..) and it's also usable in arena ofc.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elothie
    The 24/7 flask(it's flask of the north if im not mistaken) is there to match the benefits from other proffs (ring enchants,dragon eyes,gem slots etc..) and it's also usable in arena ofc.
    Mixology is there to match the PvE benefits of other professions. By increasing the strength of a flash slighty. It also increases the duration, but that is not exactly a buff buff.

Flask of the North is there to match PvP benefits, being the only flask usable in arenas.

Money:
    JC > Inscription > Enchanting > Others (most aren't remotely close in profit margin)

DPS:
    Tailoring </> Engineering > JC > Others

Personally, I have made 'respectable' gold Enchanting, but NOT by sitting on the IF bridge trolling the trade channel. I don't even bother with that at all, though if someone is specifically asking for an enchant and I happen to be around I'll gladly take the tip. "2. [Trade]LF Enchanter with Tuskarr's Vitality, have mats and tip" and the like will get a fast response from me. Easy 5 to 15 gold tip for doing next to nothing while in town handling other business.

Before the auto-disenchant feature hit, I used to make a tidy sum by offering to disenchant items by mail for guildies and customers. I had a small group of regulars that would mail me greens/blues from leveling toons and I would mail them back the mats. For a tip, I would ask only that I kept a few dusts/shards/essences for my trouble, and I'd sell those. It was easy gold, and only took a few minutes of my time about once a day when I logged on.

Now with the auto-disenchant, that side of business has fallen off but I receive plenty of free mats by running heroics. The cost of the mats have fallen through the floor on my server, so I keep my own stash for my own chants and simply sell off chant scrolls for popular enchants (10 to stats on chest, spellpower to anything, etc.) I don't really stay on top of it like I could, but even half-assed I make far more than enough to cover flasks and repair costs.

Tailoring - not much money to make there vs. the heartache of leveling it. You pick Tailoring up for the perks (cloak enchant, all-but-free leg enchant.) usually I just make stuff with the copious amount of frostweave and d/e it for mats (see paragraph above.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    Mixology is there to match the PvE benefits of other professions. By increasing the strength of a flash slighty. It also increases the duration, but that is not exactly a buff buff.

Flask of the North is there to match PvP benefits, being the only flask usable in arenas.
    A pretty well simplified description.

In a bit more detail - for the same spell caster using spell power flask:

Mixology + flask = other professions with SP benefit + flask.
    Flask of the north = other profession with SP benefit w/o flask

Flask of the north is not affected by mixology because it's supposed to just replace the other professions' personal buffs.